Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 2, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #12,827 of 18,895
Amen. I do feel it is worth noting that if you do decide to use just 2 speakers for movies, etc., then I believe you should use the 2 channel track if available and not 5.1. Dialogue is crystal clear and precisely located in my 2 channel system. You may in some cases be able to switch between them and compare the results.

This issue is rather dear to my heart because I did at one stage invest time effort and money into creating a surround sound home theatre setup in my own home. It was a very unsatisfying experience but i suppose I did learn from it.
Sorry to hear it was unsatisfying. We absolutely love our Atmos movie experiences but I do believe your 2.0 music system and 5.1.2 theatre system should be separated. In our case music listening is on the headphone systems except for concerts of course.

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #12,829 of 18,895
Curious if anybody is using their TT2 with volume in 0+ territory?
I use TT2 in high gain, driving passive speakers between -20db and -10db. Headphones -20db and -5db. -5db is usually for classical recordings, rarely drop down to 0, but never seem to go into +.
I know, it all equipment dependent, sensitivity and Impedance, so interested if anybody does and with what.

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #12,830 of 18,895
Curious if anybody is using their TT2 with volume in 0+ territory?
I use TT2 in high gain, driving passive speakers between -20db and -10db. Headphones -20db and -5db. -5db is usually for classical recordings, rarely drop down to 0, but never seem to go into +.
I know, it all equipment dependent, sensitivity and Impedance, so interested if anybody does and with what.
Yea, I get up to +12 with my Susvara out of the balanced XLR. Usually around 0 or less though.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #12,831 of 18,895
Yea, I get up to +12 with my Susvara out of the balanced XLR. Usually around 0 or less though.
Wow! With classical/high DR music I assume? With HE-6 and more compressed music, rarely above -6. With HEDDphone, usually -28 to -18, and with passive speakers (94.5 dB 8ohm) used near field, -26 to -16 usually.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #12,832 of 18,895
I got my TT2 back today. The channel imbalance seems to be gone. They said it was the PSU, not the TT2 itself and gave me a new PSU. Note to others having any issues with the TT2 - if you also own the HMS, switch PSUs. They are identical. See if the problem disappears. Seems obvious, but I didn't think of trying that because for some reason I was convinced the channel imbalance was coming from the unit. As a result had the TT2 away for some six weeks... but now it feels amazing to have it back and at 100%.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #12,833 of 18,895
I got my TT2 back today. The channel imbalance seems to be gone. They said it was the PSU, not the TT2 itself and gave me a new PSU. Note to others having any issues with the TT2 - if you also own the HMS, switch PSUs. They are identical. See if the problem disappears. Seems obvious, but I didn't think of trying that because for some reason I was convinced the channel imbalance was coming from the unit. As a result had the TT2 away for some six weeks... but now it feels amazing to have it back and at 100%.
I can't imagine how a faulty psu could cause channel imbalance in the TT2. I thought it was only charging the supercaps and those were the power supply for the actual DAC. So strange, someone on the MScaler thread had a similar issue with their psu. I guess Chord really screwed up with these psus. I will continue to advise people to try using a battery pack.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #12,834 of 18,895
I can't imagine how a faulty psu could cause channel imbalance in the TT2. I thought it was only charging the supercaps and those were the power supply for the actual DAC. So strange, someone on the MScaler thread had a similar issue with their psu. I guess Chord really screwed up with these psus. I will continue to advise people to try using a battery pack.
What he said...I’m using a battery with the M-Scaler which resulted in (for me) a pretty dramatic improvement in what I was hearing in addition to mitigating any potential PSU problem. Not having any issues with my TT2 so I’m staying with the PSU; hope I don’t regret it!

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #12,836 of 18,895
I just want mids, I don't need bass, I just want clear dialogue with balanced background effects.
Then use stereo only (no center). Center is highly optional for your needs, once you have stereo. Do not use TT2 as speaker amp since factory no longer condones it.

TT2 is cost overkill for what you want. Sell the TT2 and use the money to buy a DAC at 1/4th to 1/2 the price, and buy powered stereo speakers (or amp and passive speakers). Or use the money to buy a decent TV audio system that is stereo, or stereo w center that is in the $1k rough price range.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #12,837 of 18,895
Which battery do you use and what your usage pattern? Do you charge it off cycle or it is constantly connected to power itself?
@ra990 uses his batteries a bit differently than I do (exactly the same batteries BTW) so I’m sure he will respond separately. I only use a battery With the M-Scaler and turn the battery off when I’m not listening which also shuts off the M-Scaler. I’m guessing I get about 20 hours of use from each charge and I understand the battery can be charged while I’m using it but since I have a second battery, I just swap them and charge the depleted one.

Edit: here’s a link to the battery.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085PYYX2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #12,838 of 18,895
Seems to me, if you're charging the battery while also using it, that defeats the purpose of going battery in the first place.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #12,840 of 18,895
That is probably the case though I haven’t tried using it while charging. The battery in place of the PSU has virtually eliminated what I assume was RFI.

How do you connect from the battery to the TT2? You had to find a suitable cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back