Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #12,796 of 18,905
You could also make an adapter or a special speaker cable that connect the FRONT panel hp jack to your speakers. It’s the same power as the rear RCA and would ensure that the TT2 is not sending both signals at the same time. But, I would still caution to put the TT2 in standby when plugging and unplugging using this method, since I don’t know how fast the actual switching is.

This won't provide any protection against having current from the power amp flow into the headphone port on the TT2.

You may be able to get this all working in a way that you envision and makes sense to you on paper, but to me this is an overly complicated setup and ripe for disaster or at least regular annoyance. This is not unlike many of my hair-brained ideas that seemed like a really smart way to get the best-of-all worlds but ultimately became a complex pain in the ass. I'd just terminate with bananas and swap the cables at the speaker when you want to switch. Over time, I expect you will naturally lean towards one mode of operation 99% of the time and realize all this planning and maintaining of both options was a waste of time.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #12,797 of 18,905
Thanks for all the replies. Automaticdan reply jives with my general feeling. I also got a reply from Chord factory, who said they have changed their recommendation, and now Chord insists that the TT2 is not used to power speakers. My guess is too many people abused it.

9 months ago, I did an unfair comparison: TT2 to speakers at low to moderate volume vs Parasound JC2 and JC5. Of course the JC's were clearly better sounding. My speakers are "Focal 1027 Be" w sensitivity 91dB (2.83V/1m). I thought if I kept volume low, to medium low it would make up for sensitivity not being ideal, but maybe there is more to it. I compared them at the same low volume, but not a well controlled scientific comparison.

I don't want to switch the banana plugs every time, since it may be once a day. I decided to use the HDMI out of the TV, and somehow get stereo audio. Either a soundbar with HDMI ARC input, or and adapter (HDMI to RCA stereo) to use my inexpensive amp and speakers I already own.

I got TP link smart power strips and I completely turn off equipment I am not using. Here is my updated diagram with watts added in red. The watts are the same when in standby and when in normal operation. Other manufacturers do much better with low standby power. 135 watts from EtherRegen to Preamp (not counting 200w for amp). This is not acceptable for standby watts.

Stereo components diagram2.png

Not sure exactly how to do TV HDMI (ARC) to Small Amp. I read the HDMI is all digital, so it needs a DAC . I guess soundbars have HDMI input, DAC, amp, speakers, all in one box.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #12,798 of 18,905
Thanks for all the replies. Automaticdan reply jives with my general feeling. I also got a reply from Chord factory, who said they have changed their recommendation, and now Chord insists that the TT2 is not used to power speakers. My guess is too many people abused it.

9 months ago, I did an unfair comparison: TT2 to speakers at low to moderate volume vs Parasound JC2 and JC5. Of course the JC's were clearly better sounding. My speakers are "Focal 1027 Be" w sensitivity 91dB (2.83V/1m). I thought if I kept volume low, to medium low it would make up for sensitivity not being ideal, but maybe there is more to it. I compared them at the same low volume, but not a well controlled scientific comparison.

I don't want to switch the banana plugs every time, since it may be once a day. I decided to use the HDMI out of the TV, and somehow get stereo audio. Either a soundbar with HDMI ARC input, or and adapter (HDMI to RCA stereo) to use my inexpensive amp and speakers I already own.

I got TP link smart power strips and I completely turn off equipment I am not using. Here is my updated diagram with watts added in red. The watts are the same when in standby and when in normal operation. Other manufacturers do much better with low standby power. 135 watts from EtherRegen to Preamp (not counting 200w for amp). This is not acceptable for standby watts.

Stereo components diagram2.png
Not sure exactly how to do TV HDMI (ARC) to Small Amp. I read the HDMI is all digital, so it needs a DAC . I guess soundbars have HDMI input, DAC, amp, speakers, all in one box.
Yes. Chord have to protect themselves within reason.
I believe that @Rob Watts was right to state that it was possible to direct drive speakers under certain circumstances.
Sadly some owners tried to use the TT2 to direct drive speakers, using cables with incorrectly wired connectors, resulting in damage to their TT2.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #12,799 of 18,905
I think likely most of the issues they are seeing is mis-wired XLR outs to passive speakers. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, you can fry the outputs. It's not exactly simple wiring up balanced outs for single ended.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #12,800 of 18,905
Guys, I need some help, patience with me, plz.

I want to use tt2 for TV to some speakers solely for TV. The soubdbar I got, and many I've tried,, can't get competent dialogue and mid-range sounds (yes soundbar has a center channel, not worth a dam)
I wanna get some passive (if tt2 can drive them, or active, if tt2 can at least be a dac)
Now, the issue is... Will I need a 3rd bookshelf? To act as a center channel? I just want mids, I don't need bass, I just want clear dialogue with balanced background effects.

What do you suggest? Budget? As cheap as possible, not looking for high end here, I just want some clarity in the dialogue. Will never use these for music as I like headphones for music, solely.

Please guide a young padawan the right way...

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #12,801 of 18,905
Guys, I need some help, patience with me, plz.

I want to use tt2 for TV to some speakers solely for TV. The soubdbar I got, and many I've tried,, can't get competent dialogue and mid-range sounds (yes soundbar has a center channel, not worth a dam)
I wanna get some passive (if tt2 can drive them, or active, if tt2 can at least be a dac)
Now, the issue is... Will I need a 3rd bookshelf? To act as a center channel? I just want mids, I don't need bass, I just want clear dialogue with balanced background effects.

What do you suggest? Budget? As cheap as possible, not looking for high end here, I just want some clarity in the dialogue. Will never use these for music as I like headphones for music, solely.

Please guide a young padawan the right way...
Well with TV and movies, you're likely going to want at least a 5.1 channel setup, right? If not, I'd go for a two channel with the TT2 acting as a DAC/pre into powered monitors - that would get you some nice clarity for sure. If going multi-channel, I'm not sure how the TT2 would be able to contribute.

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #12,802 of 18,905
Well with TV and movies, you're likely going to want at least a 5.1 channel setup, right? If not, I'd go for a two channel with the TT2 acting as a DAC/pre into powered monitors - that would get you some nice clarity for sure. If going multi-channel, I'm not sure how the TT2 would be able to contribute.
Its a small room, not wanting surround or anything hifi really
Just wnat to be able to get decent clarity in vocals/dialogue when watching TV. Don't need bass. Don't need Dolby effects, just a balanced background and decent vocals.
I can't connect 2 active boomshelf speakers and a center speaker? So 3 total?

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #12,803 of 18,905
Its a small room, not wanting surround or anything hifi really
Just wnat to be able to get decent clarity in vocals/dialogue when watching TV. Don't need bass. Don't need Dolby effects, just a balanced background and decent vocals.
I can't connect 2 active boomshelf speakers and a center speaker? So 3 total?
No, I don't get what would drive the third channel? Then you'd need something in addition to the TT2. Small room like you describe would be fine with a 2 channel setup.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #12,804 of 18,905
No, I don't get what would drive the third channel? Then you'd need something in addition to the TT2. Small room like you describe would be fine with a 2 channel setup.
I guess the main goal is to have vocals/dialogue in movies and TV shows. Don't need bass or anything else, will never listen to music this way.

So I'm wondering will 2 bookshelves provide decent enough clarity in vocals and balanced background over a soundbar(soundbar has a 3rd channel but it's poop)

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #12,805 of 18,905
I guess the main goal is to have vocals/dialogue in movies and TV shows. Don't need bass or anything else, will never listen to music this way.

So I'm wondering will 2 bookshelves provide decent enough clarity in vocals and balanced background over a soundbar(soundbar has a 3rd channel but it's poop)
I think they'll be great driven by the TT2. You'll get great clarity and staging, even with something like the JBL LSR305s. It should be far better than the soundbar.

Those are what I have on my PC and I watch movies with them, no issues with dialog. In fact, way more clarity than my multichannel setup in the basement. I'm always struggling with dialog on multichannel as well. And, if it's a Christopher Nolan movie, it's downright impossible.

20210302_010532.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #12,808 of 18,905
But how do I connect tt2 to it?
I suppose
TV optical to tt2 and tt2 to speakers via what? Rca?
XLR or RCA to them from the TT2. You can set a volume on the speakers and then control the volume from TT2.

(make sure to use low gain if using XLR)
(make sure to switch your TV to PCM on optical out from bitstream)

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #12,810 of 18,905
OK so I have to get xlr to speaker end? (banana or whatever the speakers take)? Never done this before
Not if you use powered monitors, like the JBL's I referred to. They'll have XLR and TRS input, so you can easily connect them to the TT2 using straight XLR to XLR or RCA to TRS. This is what the back looks like:

1614666604787.png

BTW, those are pretty budget monitors, if you want you can splurge a little and get really great monitors. For TV/movie watching though, they'll do fine, but you know...it's a fun hole to go down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back