Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 2, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #12,812 of 18,905
Had the same issue with a full 5.2.1 system and vocals. If you can connect a surround amplifier I would simply exclude the HTT2, put a good centre speaker and then play around with the individual speaker settings giving the centre channel a boost. You can still run the HTT2 but it won’t do anything for the centre channel.
OK, would a old cheap receiver found on Cl/fb power all 3 speakers (bookshelf and center speaker)

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #12,813 of 18,905
So for anyone who's interested in the ifi iPower Elite power supply, I asked my local store to get one for me and it just arrived today.
Unfortunately the ifi's dc plug does not fit the Chord's one. The package only includes a white inverter adapter that is the right size for TT2 but IT SHOULD NOT BE USED as it has the inverted pin and will damage the TT2/M Scaler...

It took us a while to figure out the cheap iPower comes with various accessories and adapters and one of them actually works with the TT2. While I was never a fan of power stuff and I just had a rush quick listen for them as the shop was about to close, I can still immediately tell there're quite some improvements. The ipower elite is a nice solid block and it works well and has no issue for the easy-driven th610 I tried for its 3.5A output vs stock 4A. But I still didn't take it home, as I want to figure out if there will be current limit for something like susvara and whether the expensive elite version can include those useful adapters like the cheaper models...

20210302182038.jpg

20210302182052.jpg

20210302182104.jpg

20210302182112.jpg

20210302182123.jpg

20210302182141.jpg

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #12,814 of 18,905
Its a small room, not wanting surround or anything hifi really
Just wnat to be able to get decent clarity in vocals/dialogue when watching TV. Don't need bass. Don't need Dolby effects, just a balanced background and decent vocals.
I can't connect 2 active boomshelf speakers and a center speaker? So 3 total?

So called "Home theatre" is in my opinion a trap and equipment made for it has caused immense clutter and wasted vast amounts of money while providing poorer sound than a good 2 channel setup. You do NOT need a center channel. If you have 2 speakers set up properly they will provide a perfectly stable and intelligible center image. It will take some doing to beat what you get with 2 channels by adding a third speaker and it's associated amplifier. It will most probably make the sound worse.

Any good active monitor from a well respected brand should do just fine. If you want something truly amazing, aim for something like the the Focal Solo6 Be. I would love a pair.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #12,817 of 18,905
which zmf headphone is best with tt2+hms ? hd650 though extremely smooth with tt2+hms but i want a bit more open sound than what hd650 provides with tt2+hms. what are other high impedance options ? dt770 250ohm is good but i want something in between dt770 and hd650 with 300 ohm or more impedance. lcd 4 is expensive and HD800 tonality is bright.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #12,818 of 18,905
which zmf headphone is best with tt2+hms ? hd650 though extremely smooth with tt2+hms but i want a bit more open sound than what hd650 provides with tt2+hms. what are other high impedance options ? dt770 250ohm is good but i want something in between dt770 and hd650 with 300 ohm or more impedance.
I'm sure there will be some here that have tried a variety of ZMF headphones but I have only tried the Verite Open with my M-Scaler/TT2 and I have no complaints at all.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #12,819 of 18,905
Guys, I need some help, patience with me, plz.

I want to use tt2 for TV to some speakers solely for TV. The soubdbar I got, and many I've tried,, can't get competent dialogue and mid-range sounds (yes soundbar has a center channel, not worth a dam)
I wanna get some passive (if tt2 can drive them, or active, if tt2 can at least be a dac)
Now, the issue is... Will I need a 3rd bookshelf? To act as a center channel? I just want mids, I don't need bass, I just want clear dialogue with balanced background effects.

What do you suggest? Budget? As cheap as possible, not looking for high end here, I just want some clarity in the dialogue. Will never use these for music as I like headphones for music, solely.

Please guide a young padawan the right way...
I use the TT2 (amp mode) into active speakers for TV and it works very well. I have previously had a full Atmos surround system, which was great, but I don't feel I'm missing all that much with just two channels.

Having a centre speaker would fix the position somewhat better for dialogue when you are off-centre and perhaps add some clarity but if you are sitting centrally then it shouldn't be essential and I think you would need a suitable amp into passive speakers to enable that.

I've no idea what budget you have but I'd be inclined to get a couple of decent actives - you might even find that there are times you enjoy listening to music without the headphones for a different experience.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #12,821 of 18,905
so you are using only verite or others too ? verite right now very expensive proposition.
I am also using Focal Stellia, so that probably does not help.

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #12,823 of 18,905
which zmf headphone is best with tt2+hms ? hd650 though extremely smooth with tt2+hms but i want a bit more open sound than what hd650 provides with tt2+hms. what are other high impedance options ? dt770 250ohm is good but i want something in between dt770 and hd650 with 300 ohm or more impedance. lcd 4 is expensive and HD800 tonality is bright.

Im not sure there is a best ZMF, as they all have different sound signatures and preference will depend on the listener.

That said, I’ve owned the Verite Open, Verite Closed and Atticus and they all sound great direct out of the TT2. However, they all sound significantly better with a TT2 into a OTL tube amp.

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #12,824 of 18,905
I own all dynamic ZMFs except the Aeolus and use with the TT2 and find them all excellent (even the planar, older Blackwood), as I did with the Hugo 2, which is a major part of why I upgraded. I also use it primarily as a DAC to a tube amp, but use it directly regularly when I don't want to wait for tubes to warm up or will only listen briefly. No HMS here though, which I imagine would only improve things. As to which is best, really they're all excellent, though perhaps either of the Verites, having the widest soundstages and being the most detailed really play to the TT2's strengths.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #12,825 of 18,905
I use the TT2 (amp mode) into active speakers for TV and it works very well. I have previously had a full Atmos surround system, which was great, but I don't feel I'm missing all that much with just two channels.

Amen. I do feel it is worth noting that if you do decide to use just 2 speakers for movies, etc., then I believe you should use the 2 channel track if available and not 5.1. Dialogue is crystal clear and precisely located in my 2 channel system. You may in some cases be able to switch between them and compare the results.

This issue is rather dear to my heart because I did at one stage invest time effort and money into creating a surround sound home theatre setup in my own home. It was a very unsatisfying experience but i suppose I did learn from it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back