Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #10,156 of 18,897
Hi every one, I have problem with my TT2 after 2 month using.
One day, it not output the sound on Headphone, RCA connector in both Headphone and DAC mode.

Has anyone ever met the same problem?
Check whether you have accidently selected the wrong input source (eg usb selected, but only optical connected).
This would result in no output sound.

Otherwise email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and ask their advice.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #10,157 of 18,897
I have tried all. Same result.
Is anyone have warranty processing with Chord?
They provide 5-year warranty for the desktop line.
Seek your dealer for the RMA. The QC has not been very satisfying and I had to repair it twice within 3 months. So far after the 2nd repair and nearing 1 year working fine.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #10,160 of 18,897
I think it depends how the amps are designed.
Given Power = Impedance X square(Current),
If we change impedance from 300 to 33 (drop to 1/9), to deliver the same power to the headphones, the current will be 3 times larger, and the voltage 3 times lower.
So, amps that work best with higher currents will work best with lower impedances, while amps that work best with higher voltages will work best with higher impedances.
And of course if the amp works well with both high voltages and high currents (not necessarily simultaneously) it will work well with both higher and lower impedances.
I hope I got that right.
Amps with higher current delivery are always desirable. Voltage is gain. Higher the gain, higher the voltage output you can achieve. But very rarely one hits the highest voltage output during most of the normal listening levels. So I would rather like to go on a low gain amp, upto 80% or so volume setting for most of the listening than merly using 20% volume on a high gain amp most of the time. For similar reason say an amp with 20w rms into 8 ohm and 40w rms into 4 ohm is more desirable than an amp with 1kw into 8ohm and 1.7kw into 4ohm. Higher powered amp achieve the power by using high gain stages. If these stages can't output enough current, you are having double problem, one due to low current capability, frequencies for which speaker impedance dips very low, will be affected by poor current delivery, second high gain will cause heavy attenuation to source voltage because most of the time we are listening at moderate volumes and volume pot in these high power amps will be at around 20% position only. So crux is, use a low gain low powered amp with good current capability.

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #10,161 of 18,897
Amps with higher current delivery are always desirable. Voltage is gain. Higher the gain, higher the voltage output you can achieve. But very rarely one hits the highest voltage output during most of the normal listening levels. So I would rather like to go on a low gain amp, upto 80% or so volume setting for most of the listening than merly using 20% volume on a high gain amp most of the time. For similar reason say an amp with 20w rms into 8 ohm and 40w rms into 4 ohm is more desirable than an amp with 1kw into 8ohm and 1.7kw into 4ohm. Higher powered amp achieve the power by using high gain stages. If these stages can't output enough current, you are having double problem, one due to low current capability, frequencies for which speaker impedance dips very low, will be affected by poor current delivery, second high gain will cause heavy attenuation to source voltage because most of the time we are listening at moderate volumes and volume pot in these high power amps will be at around 20% position only. So crux is, use a low gain low powered amp with good current capability.

"Amps with higher current delivery are always desirable."
Ok, but always? Not all else being equal?

"For similar reason say an amp with 20w rms into 8 ohm and 40w rms into 4 ohm is more desirable than an amp with 1kw into 8ohm and 1.7kw into 4ohm."
Really? It takes way more current to make 1.7kw into 4ohm than it does to make 40w into 4 ohms. That is a fact. So, suddenly an amp with higher current is not desirable? Why is an amp that makes less current suddenly more desirable than one that makes more?
(Please don't fall for the marketing hype peddled by some producers of expensive and well regarded amps. People think that a great amp should always produce double the power into half the resistance. So, if their amp really makes 60w into 8 ohms and 100w into 4 ohms they will just publish the power output of their amp as 50w into 8ohms and 100w into 4 ohms. Easy, and a lot of people are fooled.)

Current is current and if an amp can produce enough current to make 1.7kw into 4ohm it can do that regardless of output stages, etc. It will also be much better at driving even lower impedance loads than the amp that could only squeeze out a measly 40w into 4 ohms.

If attenuation was really so undesirable, then why do Chord products tend to pump out high voltage and then need attenuation down the line? Is Chord doing it all wrong?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #10,162 of 18,897

"For similar reason say an amp with 20w rms into 8 ohm and 40w rms into 4 ohm is more desirable than an amp with 1kw into 8ohm and 1.7kw into 4ohm."
Really? It takes way more current to make 1.7kw into 4ohm than it does to make 40w into 4 ohms. That is a fact. So, suddenly an amp with higher current is not desirable? Why is an amp that makes less current suddenly more desirable than one that makes more?
(Please don't fall for the marketing hype peddled by some producers of expensive and well regarded amps. People think that a great amp should always produce double the power into half the resistance. So, if their amp really makes 60w into 8 ohms and 100w into 4 ohms they will just publish the power output of their amp as 50w into 8ohms and 100w into 4 ohms. Easy, and a lot of people are fooled.)

Current is current and if an amp can produce enough current to make 1.7kw into 4ohm it can do that regardless of output stages, etc. It will also be much better at driving even lower impedance loads than the amp that could only squeeze out a measly 40w into 4 ohms.

If attenuation was really so undesirable, then why do Chord products tend to pump out high voltage and then need attenuation down the line? Is Chord doing it all wrong?
exactly why benchmark dacs too output higher voltage out of XLR so that this can directly be used into a power amp with good input sensitivity. Also having ultra clean volume controlled high output combined with ultra low output impedance can drive efficient speakers directly. Isn't it ? How could you forget that ?😉

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #10,163 of 18,897

Did you even calculate how much attenuation will be caused by the volume pot of an integrated amp of say 200w as compared to say 40w amp for the same input sensitivity ? High watts are nothing but gain. There is absolutely no point and no advantage of having a high watt amp when you are going to use only 1/20th power in most of the cases. Also a 1kw into 8ohm and 1.7kw into 4ohm amp will struggle even at low volumes as compared to 20w into 8ohm and 40w into 4ohm because it's basically the matter of output impedance to load ratio.

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #10,165 of 18,897
Also a 1kw into 8ohm and 1.7kw into 4ohm amp will struggle even at low volumes as compared to 20w into 8ohm and 40w into 4ohm because it's basically the matter of output impedance to load ratio.

Fascinating. Where exactly did you post the output impedance of these amps? What exactly will the 1.7kw amplifier struggle with compared to the 40w one?

While this is interesting chitter chatter the fact is that at the end of the day it all comes down to what an amp sounds like.

It would help if you explained what relevance your statements have for this thread and the topic being discussed. If not, let me suggest that an admin remove the off topic posts.

Aug 9, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #10,166 of 18,897
Fascinating. Where exactly did you post the output impedance of these amps? What exactly will the 1.7kw amplifier struggle with compared to the 40w one?

While this is interesting chitter chatter the fact is that at the end of the day it all comes down to what an amp sounds like.

It would help if you explained what relevance your statements have for this thread and the topic being discussed. If not, let me suggest that an admin remove the off topic posts.
Ok mister hooster (1) speakers don't have any mechanism to know whether they are connected to 40w or 1kw amp (2) for a perceived loudness on a speaker, only voltage matters not the power of amp. It won't matter amp is 40w or 1kw, it will require sqrt of power x impedance , voltage output irrespective of amp peak power capacity (isn't it the most basic thing you chose to ignore or may be you didn't know it at all )🤣 (3) an amp which doubles the power while halving the impedance will do so at all power levels and amp not capable of doing that will not be able to that at any power level. (4) go to my original post, it was not off topic and it was in response to some post. (5) why you and your Bartok friend keep coming back to my posts and I have to reply for clearing the confusion you two create in this thread and then admins somehow have to do some work. (6) instead of such a long post devoid of any solid technical inference, why don't you do some homework and post some data or calculations ? (7) did you do some calculation of attenuation caused due to high gain or still working up with some jargon to cover up your sub par technical knowledge ? Meanwhile I request the admins to please look into the matter impartially and see why only these two persons have repeatedly attacked personally on my posts and that too without any provocation first from my side. Thanks and regards. Ps - hint in the form of basic equation for item no 3 for mr. hooster. E= I(r+R) where I is current, r is internal resistance, R is load. Now power in load R, P= i^2R. r is akin to output impedance of amp, R is like impedance of speakers and E is like voltage output at any volume setting. You see doubling of current on halving of speaker impedance is dependent
upon r and not on E. So peak power of amp has nothing to do with current delivery capability.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #10,167 of 18,897
Ok mister hooster (1) speakers don't have any mechanism to know whether they are connected to 40w or 1kw amp (2) for a perceived loudness on a speaker, only voltage matters not the power of amp. It won't matter amp is 40w or 1kw, it will require sqrt of power x impedance , voltage output irrespective of amp peak power capacity (isn't it the most basic thing you chose to ignore or may be you didn't know it at all )🤣 (3) an amp which doubles the power while halving the impedance will do so at all power levels and amp not capable of doing that will not be able to that at any power level. (4) go to my original post, it was not off topic and it was in response to some post. (5) why you and your Bartok friend keep coming back to my posts and I have to reply for clearing the confusion you two create in this thread and then admins somehow have to do some work. (6) instead of such a long post devoid of any solid technical inference, why don't you do some homework and post some data or calculations ? (7) did you do some calculation of attenuation caused due to high gain or still working up with some jargon to cover up your sub par technical knowledge ? Meanwhile I request the admins to please look into the matter impartially and see why only these two persons have repeatedly attacked personally on my posts and that too without any provocation first from my side. Thanks and regards. Ps - hint in the form of basic equation for item no 3 for mr. hooster. E= I(r+R) where I is current, r is internal resistance, R is load. Now power in load R, P= i^2R. r is akin to output impedance of amp, R is like impedance of speakers and E is like voltage output at any volume setting. You see doubling of current on halving of speaker impedance is dependent
upon r and not on E. So peak power of amp has nothing to do with current delivery capability.

Lol where do you get all the nonsense from?

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #10,169 of 18,897
Better prove it to be nonsense or else it don't pollute. Lol !😉

1596977305980.png

dB ChangeVoltagePowerLoudness
31.4X2X1.23X

“With any speaker, we need to double the power for every 3 dB increase in loudness. If a speaker requires 1 W to produce an acoustic output of 85 dB, it will require 2 W to produce 88 dB, 4 W to produce 91 dB, 8 W to produce 94 dB, and 16 W to produce 97 dB, which approximately matches the 1-watt output of the original Klipsch Heresy.”

“Perceived "loudness" varies approximately logarithmically with acoustical output power. The change in perceived loudness as a function of change in acoustical power is dependent on the reference power level. It is both useful and technically accurate to express perceived loudness in the logarithmic decibel (dB) scale that is independent of the reference power, with a somewhat straight-line relationship between 10 dB changes and doublings of perceived loudness.

While a doubling/halving of perceived loudness corresponds to approximately 10 dB increase/decrease in speaker sensitivity, it also corresponds to approximately 10X multiplication/division of acoustical power. Even a relatively modest 3 dB increase/decrease in sensitivity corresponds to a doubling/halving of acoustical power. When measuring in 'half space', the boundary of the ground plane cuts the available space that the sound radiates into in half and doubles the acoustical power at the receiver, for a corresponding 3 dB increase in measured sensitivity, so it is important to know the test conditions. ±3 dB change in measured sensitivity also corresponds to a similar doubling/halving of electrical power required to generate a given perceived loudness, so even deceptively 'minor' differences in sensitivity can result in large changes in amplifier power requirement. This is important because power amplifiers become increasingly impractical with increasing amplifier power output.

Many high quality domestic speakers have a sensitivity between ~84 dB and ~94 dB, but professional speakers can have a sensitivity between ~90 dB and ~100 dB. An '84 dB' source would require a 400-watt amplifier to produce the same acoustical power (perceived loudness) as a '90 dB' source being driven by a 100-watt amplifier, or a '100 dB' source being driven by a 10 watt amplifier. A good measure of the 'power' of a system is therefore a plot of maximum loudness before clipping of the amplifier and loudspeaker combined, in dB SPL, at the listening position intended, over the audible frequency spectrum. The human ear is less sensitive to low frequencies, as indicated by Equal-loudness contours, so a well-designed system should be capable of generating relatively higher sound levels below 100 Hz before clipping.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/the-relationship-of-voltage-loudness-power-and-decibels/

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/speaker-efficiency-and-amplifier-power

Okay now it’s your turn 🤩.

Aug 9, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #10,170 of 18,897
Ok mister hooster (1) speakers don't have any mechanism to know whether they are connected to 40w or 1kw amp (2) for a perceived loudness on a speaker, only voltage matters not the power of amp.

The efficiency of a speaker is normally specified as how many dB it can produce given the input of an amplifier producing 1 watt. Doubling the power, in watts will make the speaker play 3dB louder. If you double it again you will get another 3dB and so on and so forth. The amount of power in watts that an amplifier puts into a speaker does indeed determine how loud it is playing.

Why are you writing the things you write here in this forum? How is it helpful or on topic? Are you trolling by posting misinformation and then abusing people who are trying to correct you.

Could you at least try to understand this subject? "Where is amp?" You know full well where the amp is, it is what is producing the power discussed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back