Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 31, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #10,126 of 18,906
Does not room correction use EQ ? Any processing even if it is extremely minor frequency cut does affect the sound IMHO. I remember using EQ in built app. I could even listen to the degradation caused by cut as tiny as 0.1db .

Of course, you will have to way things up and decide what is right for you. Personally, I don't enjoy the consequences of +15dB peaks in my bass frequencies and will tame them with DSP when I cannot practically remove them any other way.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #10,127 of 18,906
The TT2 does have balanced outs though, designed to be balanced DAC outputs, but also designed to be able to drive headphones, like the Susvara. I ended up making a cable I built myself for those outputs when I had my Abyss TC. I preferred them from the balanced outs.
Do as you wish I have. But the conversion from se to balanced out adds analogue conversion components. So I use a pre amp with the xlr out that’s truly balanced topography and plug my hp into that, tested susvara as an example. Granted folks seem more into adapters and taping into the 3 prong that wasn’t actually designed for hp, and skip the pre amp, but to each there own.
just a heads up as to why Robb didn’t put a 4 pin xlr balanced out hp cable out.

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #10,128 of 18,906
Do as you wish I have. But the conversion from se to balanced out adds analogue conversion components. So I use a pre amp with the xlr out that’s truly balanced topography and plug my hp into that, tested susvara as an example. Granted folks seem more into adapters and taping into the 3 prong that wasn’t actually designed for hp, and skip the pre amp, but to each there own.
just a heads up as to why Robb didn’t put a 4 pin xlr balanced out hp cable out.
I think tt2 has identical positive and negative output through XLR. Negative is not derived by adding extra components. Negative is derived by inverting the polarity digitally, that's why XLR out has so low output impedance like se out. XLR out thus should be equally transparent as se and obviously when paired with compatible amp should sound better than se output. I use tt2 +hms with benchmark ahb2. Tt2 XLR goes directly into ahb2 XLR. Both tt2 and ahb2 work in low gain. Low gain causes less attenuation still I get sufficient volume even at -18L which is around 1v through XLR and through ahb2 low gain it becomes around 3v. With 8ohm speakers it translates into around 1w only. So it means you don't require very high output for normal listening levels. I have rarely gone past -11L with this set up.

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #10,130 of 18,906
I’m no tech but this is old news described by rob during tt launch. He prefers for what it’s worth rca out in the back cause there isn’t additional analogue conversion versus xlr. I couldn’t tell the difference using mk2 which is a balanced amp with rca toggle but whatever. Just clearing up why tt is an se dac with se out only

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #10,131 of 18,906
@Mediahound

Had a slight rethink. It's possible these are the safest RCA plugs to use for making adapters. (At least you can easily see where the copper wire of your cables is, with them.)

61CcM64V8uL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speaker-Te...ld=1&keywords=rca+plugs&qid=1596200510&sr=8-2

I used this type when I made mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vimmor-Sol...0&sr=1-1-95fb4f3c-fa15-48dc-bab1-67b29ab0ca13

However as I said in a long post a while ago. You have to lay one wire over another inside those. It takes a lot of attention to make sure that not even one sliver of wire is shorting. Since both cables are stripped back to expose the copper and in such close proximity.

Look on this picture how close the terminals are, where you have to use exposed copper wire. Plus the area to work with is tiny.

619iXVpDYlL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Also, using the RCA sockets leaves the XLR sockets on the TT2 exposed. A short across pin 1 and 3 and the TT2 output is shorted. …. It's the same principle with an audio amplifier. As we must never short the outputs of negative and positive on the speaker terminals.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #10,132 of 18,906
It
Filter 1 is good for using tt2 alone with cd quality files. Filter 2 is best and default for high resolution files or if using m scaler . Filter 3 and 4 don't give full quality of transients but can be used for bright recordings. But I have never used filter 3 and 4. To me green filter (Hugo 2) and filter 2 (tt2) is default with m scaler.

Yeah, I’ll use filter 2 if I’m on darker headphones and filter 4 in brighter headphones but really it’s just personal preference.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #10,133 of 18,906
@Mediahound

Had a slight rethink. It's possible these are the safest RCA plugs to use for making adapters. (At least you can easily see where the copper wire of your cables is, with them.)

61CcM64V8uL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speaker-Te...ld=1&keywords=rca+plugs&qid=1596200510&sr=8-2

I used this type when I made mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vimmor-Sol...0&sr=1-1-95fb4f3c-fa15-48dc-bab1-67b29ab0ca13

However as I said in a long post a while ago. You have to lay one wire over another inside those. It takes a lot of attention to make sure that not even one sliver of wire is shorting. Since both cables are stripped back to expose the copper and in such close proximity.

Look on this picture how close the terminals are, where you have to use exposed copper wire. Plus the area to work with is tiny.

619iXVpDYlL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Also, using the RCA sockets leaves the XLR sockets on the TT2 exposed. A short across pin 1 and 3 and the TT2 output is shorted. …. It's the same principle with an audio amplifier. As we must never short the outputs of negative and positive on the speaker terminals.

Thanks. Those are interesting connectors for sure.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #10,134 of 18,906
We all hear things different I guess, there is a guy on the Naim forum with a high end system that still uses the Hugo 1 as his DAC. He has home demoed the Dave, TT2, H2, but still prefers the original Hugo. He uses a Naim NDX2 as his source into the Hugo, with a 552 preamp, 250 DR amp, with ATC SCM19 speakers.
But as a headphone amp that guy very much prefers the TT2 / HMS 😀

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #10,135 of 18,906
I feel like an idiot because I’ve read this a hundred times in the thread but searching for the answer isn’t working out well for me.

Is there a top 3-4 speakers to try out that are compatible straight out of the TT2?

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #10,138 of 18,906
filter 3 "warm" works with Barry White IMHO.

Aug 3, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #10,139 of 18,906

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back