Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #10,171 of 18,906
The efficiency of a speaker is normally specified as how many dB it can produce given the input of an amplifier producing 1 watt. Doubling the power, in watts will make the speaker play 3dB louder. If you double it again you will get another 3dB and so on and so forth. The amount of power in watts that an amplifier puts into a speaker does indeed determine how loud it is playing.

Why are you writing the things you write here in this forum? How is it helpful or on topic? Are you trolling by posting misinformation and then abusing people who are trying to correct you.

Could you at least try to understand this subject? "Where is amp?" You know full well where the amp it, it is what is producing the power discussed.
Please don't go round and round in circles. (1) how an amp of 1kw which does not double the power while halving the impedance is better than a 40w amp doubling the power in halving the impedance, when one is going to use only say 20w power, please explain, which was your point originally also. (2) do you have some calculations of attenuation of high power high gain amps ? If you don't have answer then please avoid polluting the thread.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #10,172 of 18,906
When I last posted I had just connected my speakers direct to the TT2 (single ended, speakers rated at 4ohm and 89db sensisivity) and said it sounds good. What an understatment! I'm just blown away by how good things are now sounding. Even when driven fairly loud (I've gone to 10db on high gain for some albums if not recorded overly loud) and the TT2 gets warm sure, but I've not had any fears of of overheating.

I had been thinking a scaler was the next upgrade, but now feel I'm still to get all I can from the TT2 and that a speaker upgrade would be the better option. Would need to be a faily sensitive pair and have looked at reviews, the Q-Acoustics Concept 500 look like they may be a good choice, though I've not heard any of their speakers yet. Anyone heard these, or have other suggestions for similar priced floorstanders?

Aug 10, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #10,173 of 18,906
Poweramp's taken a hike and Hugo's gone to the jungle

hugo in the jungle.jpg

Aug 10, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #10,174 of 18,906
The efficiency of a speaker is normally specified as how many dB it can produce given the input of an amplifier producing 1 watt. Doubling the power, in watts will make the speaker play 3dB louder. If you double it again you will get another 3dB and so on and so forth. The amount of power in watts that an amplifier puts into a speaker does indeed determine how loud it is playing.

Why are you writing the things you write here in this forum? How is it helpful or on topic? Are you trolling by posting misinformation and then abusing people who are trying to correct you.

Could you at least try to understand this subject? "Where is amp?" You know full well where the amp it, it is what is producing the power discussed.
When I last posted I had just connected my speakers direct to the TT2 (single ended, speakers rated at 4ohm and 89db sensisivity) and said it sounds good. What an understatment! I'm just blown away by how good things are now sounding. Even when driven fairly loud (I've gone to 10db on high gain for some albums if not recorded overly loud) and the TT2 gets warm sure, but I've not had any fears of of overheating.

I had been thinking a scaler was the next upgrade, but now feel I'm still to get all I can from the TT2 and that a speaker upgrade would be the better option. Would need to be a faily sensitive pair and have looked at reviews, the Q-Acoustics Concept 500 look like they may be a good choice, though I've not heard any of their speakers yet. Anyone heard these, or have other suggestions for similar priced floorstanders?
Some Klipsch speakers are very well rated and have good sensitivity too.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #10,175 of 18,906
It is very sad to do it. However, could anyone give me the advice or help me to get the proper contact point. I have contact through customer service, however poorly replied.

My case:
  1. My TT2 meet the problem, it does not output the sound at all ( both headphone or DAC mode, 6.3 and 3.5 plug and RCA, XLR on the rear side.
  2. I send to the local distributor. They without any confirmation about the error, replace a old main board and send back to me(I don't know how they get it, old one, repaired, defected one ? ). I detect that this main is: 2.1 OLD ( old the contact point is oxidized), I'm don't now how they get it. 2.2 All the plug is loosen, skew in all connectors in front and rear side. 2.3 The replacing leave visible scratch and dirty on the surface.
  3. When looking into the picture of inside HugoTT2, I think that if the main board needs to be replaced, they need to re-soldering all the rear connector which may cause the skew state. You can feel the plug shaking when plug in/out.
  4. I sent back to the local distributor, I reply that they cannot exchange for me the new one because they they don't have any available at the moment. Does it reasonable?
  5. I have contact the customer service with all information and details. However, they does not confirm any information but only say that: sent items to HQ.

Any one could give me the advice on.
  1. If you have experience same with my case, please share.
  2. Is it my right to request for exchange a new one, cause it is 2 month and I use with ultimate care, even not 1 minor scratch on the item.
  3. It has been 5 weeks since I detect the problem. And 1 weeks + after contacting customer service, however no proper answer for my wondering. It's becoming insane customer service I have been with a local distributor when Chord I think is currently uder-estimate the fatality of the issue.
The picture is sample for third problem. Main board cannot be replaced without re-soldering.
1597069219594.png

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #10,176 of 18,906
When looking into the picture of inside HugoTT2, I think that if the main board needs to be replaced, they need to re-soldering all the rear connector

I'm not seeing anything abnormal with the rear connectors in your picture. Unless one or more is not working, I would not worry.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #10,177 of 18,906
I'm not seeing anything abnormal with the rear connectors in your picture. Unless one or more is not working, I would not worry.
The picture is sample for third problem. Main board cannot be replaced without re-soldering. Please read carefully. I have add the description for not causing mis-understanding.

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #10,178 of 18,906
It is very sad to do it. However, could anyone give me the advice or help me to get the proper contact point. I have contact through customer service, however poorly replied.
  1. I sent back to the local distributor, I reply that they cannot exchange for me the new one because they they don't have any available at the moment. Does it reasonable?

Just return it for a full refund. You can buy a new one later if you like.

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #10,179 of 18,906
Most cases they will only do a one to one exchange if the unit is faulty within the first week of purchase in my country.
After this time, you will have to let them send in the unit for repair and wait for it returned to you.

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #10,180 of 18,906
I actually request but the distributor does not allow(for no reason). And Chord doesn't have any action.
Now, I have to wait wait wait.
I decide TT2 be my core items for a long time but this plan is going to be broken.

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #10,182 of 18,906
Aug 11, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #10,183 of 18,906
I actually request but the distributor does not allow(for no reason). And Chord doesn't have any action.
Now, I have to wait wait wait.
I decide TT2 be my core items for a long time but this plan is going to be broken.

I don't know what country you live in but in some countries consumers are protected against faulty goods. You should investigate what consumer protection laws apply where you live. In some countries a consumer is entitled to a refund if the goods are faulty and this is not remedied in a satisfactory way such as a replacement or a satisfactory repair. You should not accept a poorly repaired and damaged unit in return for yours.

You should also contact Chord and let them know how the distributor is behaving. They will probably help rectify the situation since this kind of thing affects their reputation. Nobody wants to pay the kind of money Chord products cost and receive sub standard service. You can be sure that a distributor makes a significant amount of money every time a TT2 is sold. They should give something in return. Otherwise they will become irrelevant and Chord and the consumer will be better off with direct sales cutting out the middle man.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #10,184 of 18,906
Please don't go round and round in circles. (1) how an amp of 1kw which does not double the power while halving the impedance is better than a 40w amp doubling the power in halving the impedance, when one is going to use only say 20w power, please explain, which was your point originally also. (2) do you have some calculations of attenuation of high power high gain amps ? If you don't have answer then please avoid polluting the thread.

These are fascinating questions. Having had a number of power amps in my possession and tested even more my experience is that sound quality has nothing to do whether an amplifier doubles the power into half the impedance. One of the nicest power amps I ever had was nowhere near doing that but sounded quite magical. There are cheap class D consumer grade amplifiers that easily produce double the power into half the impedance but their sound quality is usually miserable. There are many things that determine how an amplifier sounds but whether or not it doubles the power into half the impedance is not one of them.

Regarding number 2, then power amplifiers do not attenuate. If they did that they would not be needed at all. Their purpose is amplification, not attenuation. There is nothing to calculate.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #10,185 of 18,906
These are fascinating questions. Having had a number of power amps in my possession and tested even more my experience is that sound quality has nothing to do whether an amplifier doubles the power into half the impedance. One of the nicest power amps I ever had was nowhere near doing that but sounded quite magical. There are cheap class D consumer grade amplifiers that easily produce double the power into half the impedance but their sound quality is usually miserable. There are many things that determine how an amplifier sounds but whether or not it doubles the power into half the impedance is not one of them.

Regarding number 2, then power amplifiers do not attenuate. If they did that they would not be needed at all. Their purpose is amplification, not attenuation. Their is nothing to calculate.
Obviously if power amp has high gain, the input has to be attenuated somewhere before sending it to power amp, either in software or in pre amp. You already know my point of contention all along was "only" for your statement that high power amps have advantage of high current stages which is not always true. It is true if those are designed for high current delivery. Also if someone is using only a fraction of the power most of the time of high power amp, you are attenuating the source heavily. Different topology sound different and obviously I was taking about same type of amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back