Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #7,891 of 18,958
True, but it is such a minor issue which actually doesn't affect usage. I don't really get the fuss about it.
When the display is on with full brightness, you might hear a high pitched noise for a couple of seconds. So it is something that's an issue in perhaps 2% of the time, in a quiet room.
I too think it is a very minor issue because it is only a few seconds and only without dimming.

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #7,892 of 18,958
True, but it is such a minor issue which actually doesn't affect usage. I don't really get the fuss about it.
When the display is on with full brightness, you might hear a high pitched noise for a couple of seconds. So it is something that's an issue in perhaps 2% of the time, in a quiet room.
When the music is playing (and be honest, we use TT2 for playing music) even in this 2% of the time the noise is inaudible.

I don't want to protect Chord, I still think with a £4000 product even such a minor issue is a little bit embarrassing, but hey it doesn't actually affect usage, so what's the point of making a mountain out of a molehill? (Or an 'elephant out of a flea' in Hungarian.)

In a near-field bedroom setup it can be surprisingly irritating if one is sensitive to that particular pitch, as it occurs when adjusting volume. Dimming the display silences it, but then I cannot read the display unless right close up to it. In the scheme of things it’s not a BIG deal (the DAC itself is truly superb!), but as you yourself just admitted on a £4000 dac it really should have been sorted by QC, and different people do indeed have differing levels of audible sensitivity to it. To call them out as making a mountain out of a molehill (just because the issue isn’t frustrating for you personally) is frankly a comment which seems designed to provoke, whilst cutting off any constructive criticism. I’m sure Chord are perfectly capable of taking a little of that to perfect their product...

Nov 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #7,893 of 18,958
In a near-field bedroom setup it can be surprisingly irritating if one is sensitive to that particular pitch, as it occurs when adjusting volume. Dimming the display silences it, but then I cannot read the display unless right close up to it. In the scheme of things it’s not a BIG deal (the DAC itself is truly superb!), but as you yourself just admitted on a £4000 dac it really should have been sorted by QC, and different people do indeed have differing levels of audible sensitivity to it. To call them out as making a mountain out of a molehill (just because the issue isn’t frustrating for you personally) is frankly a comment which seems designed to provoke, whilst cutting off any constructive criticism. I’m sure Chord are perfectly capable of taking a little of that to perfect their product...
Well, it is definitely an issue that must be sorted with TT3 whenever it comes out, and I am actually quite surprised it had the agreement for release from Rob Watts who seems to be a very meticulous designer. But still, it is quite a small issue when you look at the overall package.
TT2 by design was meant for headphone listening on the first place. I can't really imagine this few second noise can bother anyone when using TT2 with headphones. I can hear the noise when I want to hear it, but to be honest I haven't realised this noise exists until I read some posts about it on head-fi...

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #7,894 of 18,958
Hello All.

I have a HMS/TT2 that I use to feed Stax 009s or Focal Utopia. I drive the combo with my macbook via USB. I am thinking that the monitor and such is adding noise to the process, so I am looking at getting a DAP like the Astell Kern SP2000 and using it to drive the HMS/TT2. Has anyone done that? The bonus is that I can take the DAP with me on the road and listen to Focals.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #7,895 of 18,958
Hello All.

I have a HMS/TT2 that I use to feed Stax 009s or Focal Utopia. I drive the combo with my macbook via USB. I am thinking that the monitor and such is adding noise to the process, so I am looking at getting a DAP like the Astell Kern SP2000 and using it to drive the HMS/TT2. Has anyone done that? The bonus is that I can take the DAP with me on the road and listen to Focals.

Thanks in advance.

I use the AK A&norma SR15 and I would caution using the SP2000. I am going to replace my SR15 with a KANN soon. Why? The TT2 Galvanic Isolation draws power from the device. So your listening time is cut by 50-70% (depending on how much you use display) versus direct listening. I am told but haven't tried but the KANN has separate micro USB for audio out and charging. My hope is that connected to power it will maintain its current level of charge or will discharge slower. Once I make the switch I'll update the forum or if you get a KANN instead let us know.

Oh, I've tried various "Y" splitter cables and due the the way the OS for the AK is written it will only charge or do USB out and not both.

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #7,896 of 18,958
Hello All.

Thanks in advance.

I nice simple and cheap solution is an Auralic aries mini. Way better user experience than a macbook imo. Control on an ipad using the auralic app or Roon.

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #7,897 of 18,958
I use the AK A&norma SR15 and I would caution using the SP2000. I am going to replace my SR15 with a KANN soon. Why? The TT2 Galvanic Isolation draws power from the device. So your listening time is cut by 50-70% (depending on how much you use display) versus direct listening. I am told but haven't tried but the KANN has separate micro USB for audio out and charging. My hope is that connected to power it will maintain its current level of charge or will discharge slower. Once I make the switch I'll update the forum or if you get a KANN instead let us know.

Oh, I've tried various "Y" splitter cables and due the the way the OS for the AK is written it will only charge or do USB out and not both.

I bought the SP2000 today. I am going to try running it with optical into the HMS/TT2. I will report back with my findings.

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #7,898 of 18,958
Nov 18, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #7,899 of 18,958

That's why I picked up the SR15 soon to be replaced by the KANN. Is that pronounced "Capt. Kirk" style?

tenor.gif

I only use a portable player when I fly so the SP2000 is overkill due to cabin noise.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #7,900 of 18,958
Hello All.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #7,901 of 18,958
Is it possible to use blue tooth with tt2 and hms?

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #7,903 of 18,958
In theory could hms be designed with bluetooth?

Nov 20, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #7,905 of 18,958
I received my TT2 September 2019 just 2 months ago. I tested every possible combination many times and no whine or display noise at all. It's important to remember it only affected the units before QA checks were tightened to deal with the issue. I was lucky to get a later unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back