Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 16, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #7,876 of 18,907
I already tried 4 tt2, I don’t think keep replacing it will help.

Also the remote doesn’t work in the hifi shop as well. Not only in my room.

If the problem is reproduced in the hifi shop then it is clearly nothing to do with IR interference in your home. Have any of the units with the problem been sent back to Chord for a full diagnosis? Of the four TT2s you have tried do they all show the problem both in the shop and in your home? Have you ever seen an example in the shop where the remote works as expected? It is really quite bizarre. In 30 years of using IR remotes I have never once experienced any problem.

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #7,877 of 18,907
If the problem is reproduced in the hifi shop then it is clearly nothing to do with IR interference in your home. Have any of the units with the problem been sent back to Chord for a full diagnosis? Of the four TT2s you have tried do they all show the problem both in the shop and in your home? Have you ever seen an example in the shop where the remote works as expected? It is really quite bizarre. In 30 years of using IR remotes I have never once experienced any problem.
Have you read post #7858?
He took his remote and TT2 to the canjam and they both worked correctly.
He took his remote and the Chord canjam demo TT2 back home, and the problem reappeared.

So both sets of TT2 and remote work at the canjam, but not at his home.
So there is something peculiar happening at his home, and it looks like it is repeated at the dealers showroom. I can well imagine that the showroom could be full of hifi gear with hard reflective surfaces.
Maybe all that is needed, is to stick some dark tape to the inside of the IR window.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #7,878 of 18,907
Have you tried it on the Dim setting for the display?
Have you read post #7858?
He took his remote and TT2 to the canjam and they both worked correctly.
He took his remote and the Chord canjam demo TT2 back home, and the problem reappeared.

So both sets of TT2 and remote work at the canjam, but not at his home.
So there is something peculiar happening at his home, and it looks like it is repeated at the dealers showroom. I can well imagine that the showroom could be full of hifi gear with hard reflective surfaces.
Maybe all that is needed, is to stick some dark tape to the inside of the IR window.[/QUO

Why hugo2 remote worked fine....(i also own other dac like dac10h, moon430)before tt2, never had this problem) Its on the same spot, literally the same spot.

Also i find this whole remote thing is just ridiculous. Hugott2 supposed to be some sort of state of art high end high fidelity high tech high...you name it. And it have a problem that bothered people in 80s.

If you are interested i can sent you the video regarding this issue. Both in my room and the hifi shop(where 2 tt2 is not responding to 2 different remote simultaneously).

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #7,879 of 18,907
Sorry I don’t have an encyclopedic memory of every post, but having the problem occur both at home and at a dealers shop is quite coincidental, especially if using the remote at point blank range. That is why I am curious to know if any other TT2 is working at the dealers shop or is it a 100% failure rate - that would support a hypothesis that environmental conditions in the shop are causing the problem. These environmental conditions should cause every other hifi component with IR remotes to also have problems. Thankfully I have no such problems with my remote. It has always worked perfectly.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #7,880 of 18,907
Why hugo2 remote worked fine....(i also own other dac like dac10h, moon430)before tt2, never had this problem) Its on the same spot, literally the same spot.

Also i find this whole remote thing is just ridiculous. Hugott2 supposed to be some sort of state of art high end high fidelity high tech high...you name it. And it have a problem that bothered people in 80s.

If you are interested i can sent you the video regarding this issue. Both in my room and the hifi shop(where 2 tt2 is not responding to 2 different remote simultaneously).
I will PM you

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #7,882 of 18,907
From a trouble shooting perspective, you might also try the TT2 + Remote in every room of your house to see where the issue can be reproduced and where everything works as it should. Then try to figure out what the rooms that have the issue have in common.

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #7,883 of 18,907
whats is output of hugo tt v2 when used as dac alone into an amp, i see it only outputs 2.5 v compared to hugo2 which is 3v

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #7,884 of 18,907
I think this suggestion is overlooked. Dimming the display takes away the whining noise. Not that it has ever really bothered me... Only audible in a quiet room for a couple of seconds.

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #7,885 of 18,907
I think this suggestion is overlooked. Dimming the display takes away the whining noise. Not that it has ever really bothered me... Only audible in a quiet room for a couple of seconds.
Mines whines with dim

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #7,887 of 18,907

Can confirm this high pitch whistle does indeed go away when the display is dimmed. Mr Watts commented upon the issue recently (Oct 3rd):

“The display noise is down to the display LEDs multiplexing - that's why it's different with different display settings. Display off is silent. It's up to you whether it's annoying enough to get it serviced. When this issue first became known, Chord QA added an inspection stage to check for this problem, to ensure that it is currently not an issue.”

It’s NOT a deal breaker by ANY means, particularly as dimming the display seems to silence it, but still I have to say a tad disappointing on a £4000 device (my TT didn’t do this).

I bought my new TT2 only last week, and the whistle can indeed be (briefly) annoying if the display is on the standard brightness setting. It’s in a bedroom setting in an otherwise very quiet environment so likely far easier for me to hear. I do seem to be able to pick up on high-pitched noises though that others cannot discern, even some SMPS psus etc. At 46 perhaps I should be grateful my hearing acuity is evidently still pretty good! :)

Nov 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #7,888 of 18,907

I don't use dimming because the glass window light becomes too weak and dull.
But without dimming the noise can in fact be annoying, it is only acceptable to me because it is only a few seconds. With dimming it is ok.
A solution would have been to separately control dimming of display and colour leds, either with 2 different parameters or with 4 values for the existing parameter (no dimming, dimming on display, dimming on colors, all dimming).

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #7,889 of 18,907
Haven't seen any discussion of this so maybe some one can answer. Chord DACs' special quality is the accuracy and resolution of timing. Is there a commonly used measurement for this? So when people say: "if two DACs measure the same, they sound the same", does the measurement include accuracy of timing?

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #7,890 of 18,907
I don't use dimming because the glass window light becomes too weak and dull.
But without dimming the noise can in fact be annoying, it is only acceptable to me because it is only a few seconds. With dimming it is ok.
A solution would have been to separately control dimming of display and colour leds, either with 2 different parameters or with 4 values for the existing parameter (no dimming, dimming on display, dimming on colors, all dimming).
True, but it is such a minor issue which actually doesn't affect usage. I don't really get the fuss about it.
When the display is on with full brightness, you might hear a high pitched noise for a couple of seconds. So it is something that's an issue in perhaps 2% of the time, in a quiet room.
When the music is playing (and be honest, we use TT2 for playing music) even in this 2% of the time the noise is inaudible.

I don't want to protect Chord, I still think with a £4000 product even such a minor issue is a little bit embarrassing, but hey it doesn't actually affect usage, so what's the point of making a mountain out of a molehill? (Or an 'elephant out of a flea' in Hungarian.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back