Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 24, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #7,922 of 18,886
I forgot to add a :smile: to my post to make sure everyone knew it was in jest. One has to be so careful these days!

No worries, I figured that. But I feel for users who are having this noise issue.

I owned a Porsche Cayenne a few years back and it had an annoying vibration at certain speeds.

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #7,923 of 18,886
IMO this noise issue is a bit overblown in the forums: occasionally a very subtle high-pitched noise can be heard for a couple of seconds when the display is on full dim. (0.01% of the time?) It hardly affects everyday usage. There are hundreds if not thousands of happy TT2 owners who have never noticed this issue. (I imagine some people just can't hear the sound as it is quite subtle.)
On the other hand I agree at a 4K product this should be sorted if the buyer complains. That's why I contacted my seller to see what he says.
To be honest this occasional slight noise doesn't bother me enough to take on the pain of sending the TT2 back, but if there is a way to eliminate this sound I think I'll try my options.

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #7,924 of 18,886
No worries, I figured that. But I feel for users who are having this noise issue.

I owned a Porsche Cayenne a few years back and it had an annoying vibration at certain speeds.

My TT2 has the noise issue. I can hear it from 1m away and I find it very distracting but I am reassured that it can be fixed by sending it back to the factory which I will do soon.

My car also has annoying vibration at 130mph but I doubt that Chord can fix that.

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #7,925 of 18,886
My TT2 has the noise issue. I can hear it from 1m away and I find it very distracting but I am reassured that it can be fixed by sending it back to the factory which I will do soon.

My car also has annoying vibration at 130mph but I doubt that Chord can fix that.

Speaking of cars, I’ll be bringing my TT2 onboard the new Tesla Cybrtruk and using the onboard outlet and battery, completely shielded from both RFI and bullets.

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #7,926 of 18,886
. . . but not protected from people throwing things at the windows!!

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #7,928 of 18,886
He’s working on it! Seriously, though, would that be an RFI free environment, or might other components, even driven off the battery, be able to pollute it?

Electric motors, particularly powerful ones, often produce a shed load load of radiated and electrical junk.

Nov 24, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #7,929 of 18,886
is there a comparison between ifi idsd pro and hugo ttv2 when both used as dac only

i have idsd pro and hugo2 connected to ifi ican pro, would getting the hugo ttv2 be an upgrade to both hugo 2 and ifi idsd pro

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #7,930 of 18,886
is there a comparison between ifi idsd pro and hugo ttv2 hen both used as dac only

i have idsd pro and hugo2 connected to ifi ican pro, would getting the hugo ttv2 be an upgrade to both hugo 2 and ifi idsd pro
I have tried all the amps and DACs you mention here. IMO it is pointless to upgrade to TT2 if you want to use it as a DAC to iFi iCAN. Adding the iCAN to TT2 will just degrade transparency. If the question is if TT2 alone sounds better than H2 + iFi iCAN then my answer is yes, TT2 alone does sound better.

Nov 24, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #7,931 of 18,886
I have tried all the amps and DACs you mention here. IMO it is pointless to upgrade to TT2 if you want to use it as a DAC to iFi iCAN. Adding the iCAN to TT2 will just degrade transparency. If the question is if TT2 alone sounds better than H2 + iFi iCAN then my answer is yes, TT2 alone does sound better.

well i tired once for few minutes the ttv2 as a stand alone dac/amp and then connected to ifi ican pro, somehow i liked the combo of using hugo ttv2 with ifi ican pro better sounding with my headphones hifiman he1000se and others, as i felt the ifi ican pro added more body to the sound. But that was so long ago so i am revising the thought if I upgrade my dac and connecting it to my if ican pro would it be worth the investment

i can say for sure the ifi idsd pro when using the pro fixed 10v output into my stax amp is amazing and is way better than hugo2 into my stax amp, but with iifi ican pro i use the regular hifi fixed output of 2.3 v of the idsd pro into my ifi ican pro and here i find it difficult to choose which is better the hugo2 or ifi idsd pro

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #7,932 of 18,886

It was an issue with that model year. Deja Vu; different forum, different luxury item. Similar complaint.

I'll let you know if I'm blessed to be on Rolls Royce forum!

Speaking of cars, I’ll be bringing my TT2 onboard the new Tesla Cybrtruk and using the onboard outlet and battery, completely shielded from both RFI and bullets.

I was thinking of getting one until I saw it, ugh

. . . but not protected from people throwing things at the windows!!

Get a Rezvani Tank

...and back to the topic I go...

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #7,933 of 18,886
Just tried driving ether2 from the 3pin xlr out. I use a connector that only connected pin 2 and pin 3 to the R+R - L+ L- of The 4.4 cable

Tried some songs that i am familiar with, immediately noticed big differences.

First of all loudness level is similar to the headphone output, with se i need +7h with ether2 now +4h is enough.

But i think tonality is quite different, horizontal soundstage is expanded quite a lot with reduced vertical and frontal depths.

Resolution definitely is not as good as se, transparency is lost quite a lot as well.

But the bass is significantly better than the se, All the sound just got a lot thicker with more body.

I my opinion with ether2 that’s quite a big trade off, with this same cable se and xlr sounds completely different with se great depth and frontal images. With xlr it sounds like a closed back headphone with enhanced bass.

So yea...i think i will stick with headphones output. But I doubt if the headphone out is sufficient for ether 2 now. May be i should get a gsxmini to see if i can keep them(resolution&body) all.

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #7,934 of 18,886
The headphone out se is perfect for ether 2.

Nov 24, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #7,935 of 18,886
I think i'm going for a dave in the new year. After some research on the PM1 headphone thread i found this quote below. Rob has repeatedly stated dave mscaled is a huge step up from TT2 mscaled. Power advantage from TT2: so i'll never buy lcd4, susvara or abyss. The PM1 drives easily and so do the denon 9200 and sony mdr z1r which are two possible next headphone choices for me. When i tried PM1 out of a non mscaled dave it was impeccable. So it means rationing everything else and maybe in April a dave. It seems a shame to come this far with hms/tt2 and stop now. With one more step i could transform things even more for the better.

Hi, im trying that combo right now. I took the plunge and bought a "As new" used PM-1 which arrived yesterday. I bought them primarily as an alternative transportable headphone. I usually use my WM1Z/ Westone W80's for this purpose but wanted to try a full size option too. I had the Oppo Pm-3 for this purpose for about two years and really enjoyed it so I was curious about the PM-1.
My desk set up is the Chord Dave/Focal Utopia and to be honest I can't forseee anything taking it's place for quite some time, except maybe a Utopia V2 when it eventually gets released lol?
Anyway back to me the Oppo PM-1 and Dave. The first thing I would say is it does scale up nicely though maybe not to the extent of some other headphones I have experienced. Tbh though the Dave does this trick with pretty much anything I plug into it. The PM-1 strengths really shine through esp the beautiful midrange, however with the Dave it's even smoother, even more more liquid and also with the added clarity of coming from a blacker background. I would say clarity overall takes a few steps forward and treble extension also slightly improves, as does the soundstage depth and width. Notes become ever so slightly more holographic up top. Theres absolutely no hint of any harshness or graininess anywhere, this pairing is both a very engaging, enjoyable listen!

Hope this helps

There are many stops along the way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back