Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 24, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #4,696 of 18,905
Yes, you’d need to press standby again tho to wake it up

Hmmm, that’s not what happens with my tt2. I have switched the mains power off from my tt2, when it’s been on standby, a few times. And each time I’ve restored the mains power it’s charged itself up and is ready to go in whatever configuration it was last in.

Feb 24, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #4,697 of 18,905
thanks Zappa. This thread has really had it's daily allocation of get up and go since all the members in the states have been hoarding and collecting their new units. Forget the gold rush this is the TT2 rush...

10c308c14d71f31e73afede8fa8054a1.jpg

It basically still is a gold rush, as I bet loads of folk still haven’t got their’s.

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #4,698 of 18,905
Interesting. Doesn't make sense to me given that the XLR should be a higher output across the board, but interesting. Perhaps the XLR and SE outputs are internally adjusted so that the 0dB volume display is always 0dB (just using a reference level here). That doesn't make sense though, because a higher output would not produce the same dB. I'd be very interested on @Rob Watts take on this.

Yes, I’d also like to know. Maybe my app meter is not that accurate. Basically, if I set SE up 3 dB, I get the fullness more or less of balanced, but it also sounds louder overall. I’m pretty sure the cable adapter is preserving the balanced signal.

Edit: I’ll add, both OP are set to x-phd 1, to eliminate that as a possibility.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #4,699 of 18,905
OP impedance when driving transducers is important for two reasons:
1. The impedance of the headphone varies, and this together with the OP impedance of the amp modulates the actual frequency response.
2. Back EMF will create currents when the driver is stopped; this is damped via the OP impedance plus the mechanical damping of the driver.

With effect 1, you need damping factor of about 50 to 100 to ensure 0.1dB accuracy on frequency response. So no benefit in going better than this.

With 2, it's much more interesting. I did experiments many years ago (damn it, it's 35 years ago) with an amp I designed that had 2 wire sense feedback; with this I could get damping of many 1000's at the loudspeaker terminals. I could than add resistors to hear the effect of damping and got the following conclusions:

1. Damping 10 to 50 - bass sounds soft, big and fat; pitch discrimination was poor, tended to sound one note. Tube sound comes to mind...
2. Damping 50 to 100 - bass pitch discrimination gets better, less one note bass.
3. Damping 100 to 1000 - bass just sounds faster and tighter, with perceived tempo being faster. Not much change in pitch perception of bass.
4. Damping 1000+ tempo sounds a touch faster only, with bass being slightly leaner.

So the target was 1000+ using conventional loudspeakers.

Now with planers we do not need to worry about the impedance variation with frequency response; but we do need to worry about back emf and damping. Also planers tend to have a lower impedance, and so the back emf currents would be larger with all else being equal. But on the other hand I guess the damping required is less with planers. So to conclude I think damping is still important even with planers. Even if it wasn't, it would not change the importance of designing the OP impedance to be as low as possible, as the DAC/amp will be used with devices where it is important.
Can planar magnetic headphones like the Hifiman Susvara be driven balanced direct from speaker out from the Etude with more transparency than other speaker or dedicated headphone amps?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #4,700 of 18,905
Feb 24, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #4,701 of 18,905
Hmmm, that’s not what happens with my tt2. I have switched the mains power off from my tt2, when it’s been on standby, a few times. And each time I’ve restored the mains power it’s charged itself up and is ready to go in whatever configuration it was last in.

Same here, power applied always boots up.

I'm going to have to get my SPL out with a test tone. I'm finding the unit to be so quiet that I'm fearful I'm listening too loud. I'm used to that little bit of distortion that comes with volume that just isn't there. I've yet to go past -22 on hi but I'd like to know what level that is into ETHER flow open.

One other curious thing, with open back headphones now background noise in room is more distracting.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #4,702 of 18,905
I've yet to go past -22 on hi but I'd like to know what level that is into ETHER flow open

On the DAVE I'm about -34 to -27, depending on the album, with the ETHER Flow open but I forget what it measures. I think it's around 80-85dB average with music (could be a bit lower). Interested in your findings with the TT2.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #4,703 of 18,905
I just got my second TT2, first one was very slightly damaged in the shipping so my dealer exchanged it. The first unit's volume ball had some resistance to it when turning with increasing resistance as I lowered the volume and less as I raised it; the new one has absolutely no resistance at any level and moves very freely. Just curious what the norm is supposed to be. Thanks.

It's not possible that it has no resistance, otherwise the ball would just spin freely on it's own.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #4,704 of 18,905
should the tt2 automatically power up by itself from switching on at mains or should it power up by pressing the standby button after the mains is switched on?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #4,705 of 18,905
should the tt2 automatically power up by itself from switching on at mains or should it power up by pressing the standby button after the mains is switched on?

It powers up when plugging it in.

Standby only works if it's kept plugged in.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #4,706 of 18,905
Zappa reported that he has to press standby after switching the mains on to power up the unit? unless i misunderstand.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #4,707 of 18,905
Another great find/realization on the TT2... X-PHD 1 is GREAT for older jazz recordings that are recorded in HARD right and HARD left stereo. It's great on HP or AMP mode for amp/speakers.

Currently using this on "Passing Ships" by Andrew Hill, 1969, Blue Note Connoisseur Series. It was a lost tape that was found in 2001.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #4,708 of 18,905
A little off topic.

Has anyone traveled with their Hugo TT2? I just got my TT2 last week, it replaces my H2. I took the H2 all over the world with me (I am a pilot on a private jet)

I went through xray and security and they made me leave the airport, they thought my DAC was a B.....

Anyone else experience this?

My unit was out of the package for about 15 minutes before I loaded it into my bag and set off for a couple of months on the road.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #4,709 of 18,905
A little off topic.

Has anyone traveled with their Hugo TT2? I just got my TT2 last week, it replaces my H2. I took the H2 all over the world with me (I am a pilot on a private jet)

I went through xray and security and they made me leave the airport, they thought my DAC was a B.....
Anyone else experience this?

My unit was out of the package for about 15 minutes before I loaded it into my bag and set off for a couple of months on the road.

You should be fine. I bring mine on meet ups all the time. Just make sure to keep the connectors safe since they protrude slightly from the back, otherwise you should be good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back