Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 18, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #3,496 of 19,009
If we all could be Dave owners. I’m putting in a new kitchen, well paying for a company to install a new kitchen, and a new car last year so. Still travelling tho, so you pick your spots. I haven’t heard anything yet tt2 or mscaler but from my experience source matters and should be first choice. It will make ones dac sound better and be amazed at what that dac had that you didn’t know about. I’m stuck with no where to go except Dave or to some other manufacturer. But don’t frown, tt sounds pretty good but no, no plans to even listen to Dave.

My car is 15 years old and my kitchen is 20 years old. I have no plans to change either. The car gets me from A to B at speeds that might be frowned upon by the blues and twos and my kitchen still cooks my steaks just how I like them.

I suspect that you and I will never quite be on the same page regarding sources because the more I listen and the more I learn it seems to me that the source is less and less important because kit such as the HMS, Dave, TT2 etc is becoming more source tolerant.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #3,497 of 19,009
My car is 15 years old and my kitchen is 20 years old. I have no plans to change either. The car gets me from A to B at speeds that might be frowned upon by the blues and twos and my kitchen still cooks my steaks just how I like them.

I suspect that you and I will never quite be on the same page regarding sources because the more I listen and the more I learn it seems to me that the source is less and less important because kit such as the HMS, Dave, TT2 etc is becoming more source tolerant.

had a 2003 crown vic for 14 years 375000 klicks but had toit died last dec, the kitchen is original to the house, 1979. falling apart...

concerning source, insert HMS or an excellent server was my point without mention. Anotherwords I can't justify HMS after hearing how fantastic my server is so if HMS is the route do that if a dac upgrade is the tradeoff. And sorry for talking on a chord site about source or amps or anything not of disciple material. cheers

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #3,498 of 19,009
I got such a great deal on tt 1 the cad dollar was way stronger 3 years ago and I got a 20% discount, so it’s 50% the cost of a new tt2. Second I’m sure it’s nice but I had some difficulties substantiating ch2 upgrade from ch1 when i tested. I mean ch2 was nice but subtly, so I didn’t . I can’t say that tt2 is just the same subtle difference but I’m sure it doesn’t warrant doubling down on it. plus don’t have speakers to power so high op means nothing to me

I can see where your coming from, cool that you got a good deal on TT1. I haven’t heard TT1, and I have no idea how it compares to TT2.

I kinda agree with ya when you mention the upgrade from H1 to H2, I think they can only do so much in a given space, and I noticed at times I would be comparing Mojo and H2, and on some songs it was difficult to tell the difference, not often but now and then I would go from H2 back to mojo and mojo/poly would surprise me everytime.

From what I can gather, TT1 is by all accounts very good and, I would probably be in the same situation that you are in now if I owned your server and TT1. Not really feeling the need to upgrade to something that could cost thousands and only be a subtle upgrade sq wise. I completely agree with that decision.

A server is next for me and that’s me done.

had a 2003 crown vic for 14 years 375000 klicks but had toit died last dec, the kitchen is original to the house, 1979. falling apart...

concerning source, insert HMS or an excellent server was my point without mention. Anotherwords I can't justify HMS after hearing how fantastic my server is so if HMS is the route do that if a dac upgrade is the tradeoff. And sorry for talking on a chord site about source or amps or anything not of disciple material. cheers

Crown Vic’s are cool, I wish we had them over here. I would see them on American TV programmes and movies, cop cars, taxi’s etc, I’d love to get one and trick it out, and then go sailing with it.

I like crown vics, and all we get is a ford mondeo.

Listening to Eric Clapton Unplugged, Tears in Heaven. What a song, What a tragedy.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #3,499 of 19,009
I can see where your coming from, cool that you got a good deal on TT1. I haven’t heard TT1, and I have no idea how it compares to TT2.

I kinda agree with ya when you mention the upgrade from H1 to H2, I think they can only do so much in a given space, and I noticed at times I would be comparing Mojo and H2, and on some songs it was difficult to tell the difference, not often but now and then I would go from H2 back to mojo and mojo/poly would surprise me everytime.

From what I can gather, TT1 is by all accounts very good and, I would probably be in the same situation that you are in now if I owned your server and TT1. Not really feeling the need to upgrade to something that could cost thousands and only be a subtle upgrade sq wise. I completely agree with that decision.

A server is next for me and that’s me done.

I absolutely agree about the TT1. I used to have one and I think they are a cracking DAC.

Dec 18, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #3,501 of 19,009
so is everyone, for the most part, against running HMS+TT2 through an integrated amp to speakers? for fear of losing transparency?

the only "~approved~ Chord disciple way" being straight to active speakers from TT2 or the paul2qute method to passive speakers?

just trying to figure out what I potentially lose when I'm inputting my stack into my Uniti Nova to passive speakers.

Dec 18, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #3,502 of 19,009
Anyone else using a tt2 straight into ATC Acitves ? Do you prefer lo or hi gain ?

Hi Scotty1,

I’m using the TT2 with SCM 40A’s and loving the combination.

I’m using the low gain and not tried high. I understand low gain has lower distortion.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #3,503 of 19,009
so is everyone, for the most part, against running HMS+TT2 through an integrated amp to speakers? for fear of losing transparency?

the only "~approved~ Chord disciple way" being straight to active speakers from TT2 or the paul2qute method to passive speakers?

just trying to figure out what I potentially lose when I'm inputting my stack into my Uniti Nova to passive speakers.

You have to listen to hear. It may be fine or better for your tastes.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #3,504 of 19,009
it’s either Uniti Nova as a Roon endpoint with Ethernet or HMS+H2 (TT2 not here yet) via RCA.

HMS+H2 obviously sounds better (to me), but was wondering the theory (or science) behind what, if anything, is being detracted from the sound.

the Uniti Nova sounds pretty amazing by itself as a Roon endpoint as well! and getting to see the artwork via the Roon stream is always nice.

listening to the Joni Mitchell album that someone here recommended a few days ago “For the Roses”, brilliant !

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #3,505 of 19,009

It depends if you need an amp or not.

By the way I can't see any difference between running through and integrated amp, or active speakers. As most actives will have a pre-amp/power amp section. (Remember not to buy a set that use a DAC to convert music digitally to second speaker. I was recently drooling over the new Dynaudio Xeo 20, then later noticed they use a DAC to talk.)

I use an amplifier with Hugo 2. If I bought a TT2 I would not be upset if I needed an amp for it. Since the Hugo 2 knocks my head off anyway. If it could drive speakers direct, as it should on my desktop then all is good. I never really use much volume even with my amplifier anyway, so wouldn't need loud with a TT2. (On my 50W amp, 62w into the six ohm speakers I have, volume starts on clock face about seven o'clock. By nine o'clock it's too loud, or a bit loud depending on recording.)

I'd be curious to know, are people doing speaker direct drive with Hugo TT 2. How are the results?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #3,508 of 19,009

'~approved~ Chord disciple'... Good grief.

I don't think anyone has said don't run an amp if it's actually needed. I also don't think anyone has said if you prefer the sound of attaching an amp you shouldn't do it. Personal preferences are what they are, and nobody can debate anyone's preference. The only thing I've read is that facts are corrected when someone says for example, an extra component has more transparency (technically, factually, not possible), or, this transducer requires 1.8 gigaWatts of output power to drive well. There's a big difference between knowledge and preference so let's not mix the two together.

Now, if you really like the sound that your amp brings with your speakers then use it!! That's what this hobby is all about. If you want to hear a more transparent sound to the source then don't use the amp... if the TT2 alone is satisfactorily loud enough and enjoyable. That's about as simple as it gets. Take some time to try both, figure out what YOU like and go from there because no one else is you. I have the 9W max Cavalli Liquid Gold that has a fantastic warm sound (the Cavalli house sound) and I love it on occasion attached to the DAVE. I just know that it changes the sound further from the original recording if I want to I use it. Options are good!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #3,509 of 19,009
Funny there are not a lot of DAVEs for sale, given so many talked about selling to fund TT2 - M-Scaler.

I don't mean I want to buy a DAVE. I do sort of, but the DAVE used market is commanding high price, and there really aren't any. Got my mind set on a TT2 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back