Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #3,527 of 19,009
do you really think i am upset with you?

No, not regarding not having your new kit, and I would be just as pissed off as you are if I had been in the states.

But I will admit, I did wonder when it came to the caps part.

For Australia to get MScalers and TT2’s first, that shows you how badly bluebird have messed up. The dude with the beard from BB and who is also a member here, it would be good for him to come in and explain whats happened and is still happening. Basically give buyers a better idea of when they are likely to get what they paid for months ago.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #3,528 of 19,009
The difference is mostly that the active speakers have electronic crossovers which means that the individual amplifiers in them are connected direct to the drivers without any of the passive crossover components in the signal path. This can make a big improvement to the sound. For instance I have heard the identical passive and active versions of the ATC 40 Mk2 speakers (in other words everything is the same except that one is passive and the other is active) and the differences are so big that you would think it is a completely different speaker. It is even possible that the advantages of using TT2 direct to passive speakers is outweighed by taking a different Chord DAC direct to active speakers..

Kind of like bi-wiring or bi-amping then. I see, thank you. Good to know that.

It actually rings bell. I am sure I heave heard of them using separate amps. I remember having a long think about the ATC SCM20A SL PRO, which I think had four amplifiers. The lower range only went to 50Hz, which seemed off for a largish cabinet and driver.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #3,530 of 19,009
they were ironic caps.

Being and living in newyork and being so close to BB, but still not being able to get one ?

Find a crack head, pay him 500 bucks and tell him to go break in to Bluebird and a grab a handful of TT’s :)

Maybe Chord should have a few distributors, say 4 to cover the entire country, that way if one distributor can’t be bothered ordering things in a timely manner, atleast the slack can be picked up by the other 3.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #3,531 of 19,009
Kind of like bi-wiring or bi-amping then. I see, thank you. Good to know that.

It actually rings bell. I am sure I heave heard of them using separate amps. I remember having a long think about the ATC SCM20A SL PRO, which I think had four amplifiers. The lower range only went to 50Hz, which seemed off for a largish cabinet and driver.

Actually no, not like bi-amping or bi-wiring because that still retains the passive components in the loudspeaker crossover.

Dec 19, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #3,532 of 19,009
Being and living in newyork and being so close to BB, but still not being able to get one ?

Find a crack head, pay him 500 bucks and tell him to go break in to Bluebird and a grab a handful of TT’s :)

Maybe Chord should have a few distributors, say 4 to cover the entire country, that way if one distributor can’t be bothered ordering things in a timely manner, atleast the slack can be picked up by the other 3.

I'm surprised so many of you who have HMS live in NY, where I also am. Maybe we should all just meet up one day and have a Headfi meet/ party lol. I wouldn't mind bringing my TT and other kit to hear how they sound with M Scaler.

Dec 19, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #3,533 of 19,009
Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #3,534 of 19,009
Had a listen to Bluetooth tonight whilst downloading a major software upgrade to my SoTM ultra streamer with the SPS500 power supply, and was rather taken aback at how good it sounded. The manual simply says APTX, but presumably it's APTX-HD or perhaps a customised module rather than the basic setup. Anyone know or have the specs. ?

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #3,535 of 19,009
Bluebird, as of yesterday, is saying "mid-January" for the TT 2...

AVAILABILITY UPDATE DECEMBER 18, 2018
Etude is now in stock, in both finishes, at Bluebird Music.

The Hugo M Scaler began shipping to US dealers in November, and is in stock in both finishes but in limited quantities.

Based on our latest information Hugo TT 2 is expected to ship mid-January 2019 in both silver and black finishes.

There will be a special authorization for dealers on these products and the products will be sold only through Bluebird Music's authorized dealers. Chord dealers have full pricing details and are accepting orders / pre-orders.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3,536 of 19,009
See, the top part of your post regarding prefering hugo over mojos.

I posted that I could easily tell that I was listening to hugo 2 instead of mojo if I was blindfolded, in the rob watts dac theory thread in the sound science sub forum.

It took minutes for some dude to crawl out of his hole in the ground telling me that all dacs sound the same and that blah blah I stopped reading as I didn’t want to spoil his ego trip.

Anyway, that aside, who here has a mojo and a hugo 2 ? For those that do, who here can easily tell that they are listening to hugo instead of mojo ?

For me it’s painfully obvious, but I would like to hear what others have to say. I know this is the tt2 thread, but that can be used instead of a hugo 2, aslong as you all have a mojo and a hugo / something.

Please tell me if you can tell the difference between the two, and if you would be able to do so if you were blind folded.

I have both the Mojo and the Hugo2. I could tell the difference between the two anytime within a matter of seconds.

For me the clear thing that distinguishes the two is timing. I'm a musician/composer/producer and am extremely sensitive to groove, and the Hugo2 grooves much harder than the Mojo. There are clarity and soundstage improvements, the Hugo2 seems to present high harmonics more smoothly so cymbal hits are smoother and less crunchy, same thing with picked steel string guitars. Also the fundamental and the harmonics seem to cohere better so wide bandwidth musical events like slap bass and full-strum acoustic guitar seem much more like one coherent sound on the H2 than the Mojo. But for me the timing of the H2 is really, really musical and really seems to communicate the groove (as well as I've ever heard outside (and maybe including) the Linn LP12) the musicians were feeling in the session/performance.

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #3,537 of 19,009
I have both the Mojo and the Hugo2. I could tell the difference between the two anytime within a matter of seconds.

For me the clear thing that distinguishes the two is timing. I'm a musician/composer/producer and am extremely sensitive to groove, and the Hugo2 grooves much harder than the Mojo. There are clarity and soundstage improvements, the Hugo2 seems to present high harmonics more smoothly so cymbal hits are smoother and less crunchy, same thing with picked steel string guitars. Also the fundamental and the harmonics seem to cohere better so wide bandwidth musical events like slap bass and full-strum acoustic guitar seem much more like one coherent sound on the H2 than the Mojo. But for me the timing of the H2 is really, really musical and really seems to communicate the groove (as well as I've ever heard outside (and maybe including) the Linn LP12) the musicians were feeling in the session/performance.

Yup, it’s extremely easy to hear the difference between the two, but don’t go into the sound science sub forum and say that, as you will be classed as a witch and they will try and burn you at the stake.

Not a joke.

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #3,538 of 19,009
Yup, it’s extremely easy to hear the difference between the two, but don’t go into the sound science sub forum and say that, as you will be classed as a witch and they will try and burn you at the stake.

Not a joke.

I don't understand how those sound science people can possibly have a beef when almost everyone can HEAR the difference, and not just that, but it's a big enough difference that they're willing to spend thousands of dollars to get the better sound. Do they really think people can't hear?

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #3,539 of 19,009
I don't understand how those sound science people can possibly have a beef when almost everyone can HEAR the difference, and not just that, but it's a big enough difference that they're willing to spend thousands of dollars to get the better sound. Do they really think people can't hear?

They believe that it’s all 1’s and 0’s and some other things that “IS CORRECT”, there is no middle ground, it’s either their point, or send us your multi thousand £$€ system so we can test it.

Sure, I will go send my stuff to some dude that I’ve never seen in my life before and who lives thousands of miles away, with the guarantee that he is ok and won’t run away with it because he has been a long time headfi member.

I shall get right on that, plus, you’d think that, if they were actually doing any science, they would be able to get the products themselves.

I think of that forum as a day nursery, I come here to work ( read/post ) and I drop off the kids so I get some breathing space to read and reply to posts.

:)

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #3,540 of 19,009
They believe that it’s all 1’s and 0’s and some other things that “IS CORRECT”, there is no middle ground, it’s either their point, or send us your multi thousand £$€ system so we can test it.

Sure, I will go send my stuff to some dude that I’ve never seen in my life before and who lives thousands of miles away, with the guarantee that he is ok and won’t run away with it because he has been a long time headfi member.

I shall get right on that, plus, you’d think that, if they were actually doing any science, they would be able to get the products themselves.

I think of that forum as a day nursery, I come here to work ( read/post ) and I drop off the kids so I get some breathing space to read and reply to posts.

:)

Yeah lol, I just read some posts there and you don't read a lot of "I bought and listened to the [enter Chord or other product] extensively but in the end returned it because it really didn't sound any better than my [enter other product]" Not to put too fine a point on it- it just seems like a bunch of broke kids in their parents' basements who would buy a Chord or some other great-sounding product tomorrow if they could find a way to do it.

And for a "science" forum, you'd think they'd know the difference between dB and dB SPL, not to mention know there's a difference between -200 and 200!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back