Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 2, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #1,501 of 18,958
In the morning, I listened to the TT2. First one had to be replaced as not quite ready for prolonged listening. A weightier bassier sound compared to my H2, unfortunately couldn’t connect my DAP as Chord didn’t have a USB to Phono or 3.5 converter. I think it would be good in a hifi context, similar to when I reviewed TT on the Chord tour but for iem’s and headphones I quite like the airier H2 without added warmth. Bass oomph is good though.

In the afternoon I listened to m-scaler and there was an increased naturalness. Very nice. I would not have a problem choosing between the two products.

I may not be understanding this correctly but as far as im aware, the bassy sound put out from other dac/ amps is due to the distortion fattening up the sound or high output impedance and thats why chord stuff is leaner on the bass. Now you think from your audition of TT2 it is a weightier stronger bass sound than H2, what would be the reason for this if its not distortion flavouring the sound?

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,502 of 18,958
I may not be understanding this correctly but as far as im aware, the bassy sound put out from other dac/ amps is due to the distortion fattening up the sound or high output impedance and thats why chord stuff is leaner on the bass. Now you think from your audition of TT2 it is a weightier stronger bass sound than H2, what would be the reason for this if its not distortion flavouring the sound?

Enhanced Power Supply? That was one of main differences between Hugo1 and TT that had a similar trait.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #1,503 of 18,958
Enhanced Power Supply? That was one of main differences between Hugo1 and TT that had a similar trait.

Oh right, sorry not meaning to pick at you directly its just that many people complained about lack of power from chord dacs and distortion was being brought up a lot to be the "only" reason for weightier sound on nearly all other companies products.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,504 of 18,958

TT delivers plenty O bass. Folks who find it lacking look to your source, delivery, interconnects. Im tickled by the throat hits down low.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #1,505 of 18,958
TT delivers plenty O bass. Folks who find it lacking look to your source, delivery, interconnects. Im tickled by the throat hits down low.

Meant more along the lines of Mojo, Hugo and Hugo2 which have plenty of power for headphones, so if not distortion i wonder what causes bigger bass in TT and TT2 if the portables are already enough power.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,506 of 18,958
Its discussed in the TT thread, analogue components, super capacitors, milled block design.galvinized usb.. and other gizmos...

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #1,507 of 18,958
Hugo TT uses higher quality reference grade components that simply can’t fit into a standard Hugo chassis. Those particular components contribute to the overall sound.
Combine that with all the other minor refinements like lower noise floor, isolated usb, and super caps for fast and dynamic transients.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,508 of 18,958
Please Mr @Rob Watts,

I am looking at the Hugo 2 specs vs the Hugo TT 2 specs.

Hugo 2:
Tap length filter: 49,152 – 10 element Pulse Array design

Hugo TT 2:
Tap length filter: 93,304-tap 16FS WTA 1 – 10 element design

Generally comparing the two, TT 2 more taps, super-caps, and higher output voltage. However I wondered if that was more or less the sum of the differences. I am wondering what the 16FS WTA means.

I remember statements like that about the filters, and just searched them.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-614#post-13894720
You discussed:
You won't measure any change from the 16FS to 256FS WTA filter. But the HF filter (green or red) adds -1dB at 20kHz from ruler flat.

and:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-423#post-13622123
That's it exactly. The linear interpolation is either 256FS>2048FS (white/green) or 16Fs>2048FS (orange/red).

Sorry I am not picking you up on anything. Just trying to evaluate the TT 2 better. I remember a list of the filter settings and what WTA, I think applied. However I found it in a more sentence like fashion.

Is the FS WTA date for the Hugo 2 missing off the webpage? Or is it identical between the Hugo 2 and TT 2? Or more advanced on the TT 2? Not that I am exactly clear on FS WTA, but asking anyway.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,509 of 18,958
Please Mr @Rob Watts,

I am looking at the Hugo 2 specs vs the Hugo TT 2 specs.

Hugo 2:
Tap length filter: 49,152 – 10 element Pulse Array design

Hugo TT 2:
Tap length filter: 93,304-tap 16FS WTA 1 – 10 element design

Generally comparing the two, TT 2 more taps, super-caps, and higher output voltage. However I wondered if that was more or less the sum of the differences. I am wondering what the 16FS WTA means.

I remember statements like that about the filters, and just searched them.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-614#post-13894720
You discussed:
You won't measure any change from the 16FS to 256FS WTA filter. But the HF filter (green or red) adds -1dB at 20kHz from ruler flat.

and:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-423#post-13622123
That's it exactly. The linear interpolation is either 256FS>2048FS (white/green) or 16Fs>2048FS (orange/red).

Sorry I am not picking you up on anything. Just trying to evaluate the TT 2 better. I remember a list of the filter settings and what WTA, I think applied. However I found it in a more sentence like fashion.

Is the FS WTA date for the Hugo 2 missing off the webpage? Or is it identical between the Hugo 2 and TT 2? Or more advanced on the TT 2? Not that I am exactly clear on FS WTA, but asking anyway.
I think you have missed the fact that the TT2 also includes elements from the power pulse amp, so can output more watts than the H2. That is a key differentiator, for individuals interested in hard to drive headphones, or direct driving efficient speakers.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #1,510 of 18,958
Also PC's are not good at real time; I can't even get my i7 tablet to reliably playback 192kHz bit perfect PCM (latest win update made it play with crackles).
Hey @Rob Watts apologies for quoting an old post, I'm just wondering if you could give your opinion on converting 192kHz files to 96kHz using something like XLD? Assuming I'm using one of your DACs, is there any downside to this? I'm also having occasional problems playing back 192kHz files.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,511 of 18,958
Hey @Rob Watts apologies for quoting an old post, I'm just wondering if you could give your opinion on converting 192kHz files to 96kHz using something like XLD? Assuming I'm using one of your DACs, is there any downside to this? I'm also having occasional problems playing back 192kHz files.

I remember some Mojo users found they needed to upgrade cable when playing 192KHz or above. Lower quality cables between source and DAC, were causing problems, or just not working.

I think you have missed the fact that the TT2 also includes elements from the power pulse amp, so can output more watts than the H2. That is a key differentiator, for individuals interested in hard to drive headphones, or direct driving efficient speakers.

I just abbreviated it to more output voltage. Thanks for the right wording though.

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,512 of 18,958
I remember some Mojo users found they needed to upgrade cable when playing 192KHz or above. Lower quality cables between source and DAC, were causing problems, or just not working.

Thanks, but I've narrowed this down to an old computer (2009 Macbook relegated to hifi duties) CPU/Memory/USB2 issue. On my 2015 Macbook all my cables (both optical and USB) are 100% fine playing at 192kHz. I really don't think I can hear any difference between 192kHz and 96kHz but I'd like to know for sure if there are any potential issues downsampling these files this way (i.e dividing sample rate by 2).

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #1,513 of 18,958
I would supply chord dacs with untouched native format bit perfect. Two points regarding the TT2 that are integral to its design. 1) The new second order analogue noise shaper resulting in a more natural real presentation of the music and 2) the low gain function which is designed for ultra high sensitivity iem's and easy to drive sensitive headphones hence the diverse versatility of the TT2. The added power is not everything and even here when a light load is being driven by TT2 from my understanding the increase in instrument separation as an e.g. is not tied in with an increase in OP power so you can deduce from this that all headphone users benefit regardless of whether their headphones are crazy difficult to drive or ultra sensitive. Rob explained this point to me a while back. If i go for a TT2 i will be using the sensitive Oppo PM1 on low gain. Let's not forget the 98,304 taps double that of H2 (not 93,304 as stated above).

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #1,514 of 18,958
I REALLY like the amount of bass my Woo WA8 puts into my Ether Flow. What's the right amount of bass, it's like your favorite color. I'm hoping the TT 2 matches WA8, if it doesn't I'm going to be real conflicted. I have the Qutest now and if TT 2 is bass light I'm going to have to look into the Prima Luna. Which I haven't heard and need to take my Qutest to audition, if necessary.

I can see some loyalty program points getting used this fall...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #1,515 of 18,958
I REALLY like the amount of bass my Woo WA8 puts into my Ether Flow. What's the right amount of bass, it's like your favorite color. I'm hoping the TT 2 matches WA8, if it doesn't I'm going to be real conflicted. I have the Qutest now and if TT 2 is bass light I'm going to have to look into the Prima Luna. Which I haven't heard and need to take my Qutest to audition, if necessary.

I can see some loyalty program points getting used this fall...

I would bet that the TT 2 outclasses the WA8 in every regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back