Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 15, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,083 of 18,898
Hmm - I will have XLR to 4mm adaptors with me, I am not sure that will help you though...

Nope. But that’s ok. I plan to bring my stock single-ended 6.3mm cable, and I also have a female XLR to 6.3mm male adapter.

If I understood you correctly, you actually say your SE outputs are the most transparent, and preferred over the balanced outs for the ultimate SQ, correct?

And that the only reason to use balanced was for inefficient loads, when high power was needed?

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,085 of 18,898
Nope. But that’s ok. I plan to bring my stock single-ended 6.3mm cable, and I also have a female XLR to 6.3mm male adapter.

If I understood you correctly, you actually say your SE outputs are the most transparent, and preferred over the balanced outs for the ultimate SQ, correct?

And that the only reason to use balanced was for inefficient loads, when high power was needed?
Yes that's correct. That said, some power amps and cables will prefer the xlr balanced connection too; but sure the SE is the simplest and hence potentially the most transparent. With headphones you won't need the extra power or voltage that balanced supply...

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #1,087 of 18,898
I don't plan to listen to it if i get a TT2 this autumn. I just want to take photos of it and look at it.:L3000:

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,088 of 18,898
Is there a new TToby? Doubt I'd need it just wondering.

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,089 of 18,898
So Chord is keeping Chord TT2 priced around $3500 right? I hope Chord does as I think this price point is perfect for Chord TT2. I firmly believe it is the price point for the average audiophille who would spend no more than 2K to crossover to the higher end audiophille market. I see many many Hugo owners crossing over and purchasing the TT2 at this price point of $3,500!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #1,090 of 18,898
So Chord is keeping Chord TT2 priced around $3500 right? I hope Chord does as I think this price point is perfect for Chord TT2. I firmly believe it is the price point for the average audiophille who would spend no more than 2K to crossover to the higher end audiophille market. I see many many Hugo owners crossing over and purchasing the TT2 at this price point of $3,500!
From what I've read the expected price of the Hugo TT2 (release now expected in October) in the US is ~$6,000, but of course may change depending on exchange rates.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,091 of 18,898
This is perhaps a question for Rob.

When you turn on or off the TT2 with the remote, does it produce a "pop" through your headphones/speakers? The reason I ask is, the other day I was demoing some power amps and speakers at a dealer, and brought along my Mojo as source. When the demo was finished, I turned off the Mojo and it produced a loud "pop" through the dealer's speakers and he was not too pleased. I guess it was some kind of relay or solenoid in the Mojo's on/off switch that did this - normally I use my Mojo for headphone duties so this POP doesn't bother me, but if I were to buy the TT2 in the future, I'd like to know if this POP does exist because I'll be using the TT2 either connected to power amps + speakers or to passive speakers directly via the XLR outputs. And finally, does this POP actually hurt/damage your speakers or it is just annoying?

P.S. if this POP does exist in the TT2 and is unavoidable, am I better off just buying the Hugo2 instead and leave it on all the time?

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #1,092 of 18,898

When you turn on or off the TT2 with the remote, does it produce a "pop" through your headphones/speakers? The reason I ask is, the other day I was demoing some power amps and speakers at a dealer, and brought along my Mojo as source. When the demo was finished, I turned off the Mojo and it produced a loud "pop" through the dealer's speakers and he was not too pleased. I guess it was some kind of relay or solenoid in the Mojo's on/off switch that did this - normally I use my Mojo for headphone duties so this POP doesn't bother me, but if I were to buy the TT2 in the future, I'd like to know if this POP does exist because I'll be using the TT2 either connected to power amps + speakers or to passive speakers directly via the XLR outputs. And finally, does this POP actually hurt/damage your speakers or it is just annoying?

P.S. if this POP does exist in the TT2 and is unavoidable, am I better off just buying the Hugo2 instead and leave it on all the time?

I’m interested in Rob’s response as well, but you should know that it’s the same for the DAVE. The DAVE manual instructs to always turn on the DAC first and off last for this reason, and I think it would be the best practice for all setups to avoid sudden current rushes causing loud pops through the amp/speakers.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #1,093 of 18,898
I’m interested in Rob’s response as well, but you should know that it’s the same for the DAVE. The DAVE manual instructs to always turn on the DAC first and off last for this reason, and I think it would be the best practice for all setups to avoid sudden current rushes causing loud pops through the amp/speakers.

That really is good advice and is good practice. I tend to leave my Dave on all the time to avoid having to think about what order I am switching on/off and that could maybe be a possibility for TT2 as well as I don't think it uses much juice.

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #1,094 of 18,898
If you have a matched set of systems with control relays or your power amp somehow comes with a remote control, then it is easily done which component you need to switch off first and turn on last to avoid that loud pop. But if your power amp only has a mechanical switch at the back of the unit where it is difficult to get to, then you really have no choice but to leave it on all the time and let it go to sleep. Also, what I'm intending to do with the TT2 is that I plan to connect it directly to a pair of efficient passive speakers (to avoid having a power amp at all) so the question of does the TT2 produce a pop upon switching on/off becomes really important.

P.S. I don't think the TToby has control relays even if you use it together with TT or TT2?

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,095 of 18,898

No pop on TT2 as the supercaps take a huge time to discharge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back