Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 15, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #14,461 of 18,990
And to be specific, how they differ in your ears?

It‘s ummm, better, with no clicking noises and it sounds warmer than before, to get to the point, it’s the dog’s.

TL;DR

It’s the dogs bo……

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #14,462 of 18,990
Good morning,
For all of us who use our HTT2 with headphones, it is a serious question, if an upgrade cable for the headphones really generates a better sound?
It is important to demystify this fact, therefore I urge users to debate on this topic:
* Is it true that the "upgrade" cables for headphones notably improve the characteristics and quality of the audio?

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #14,463 of 18,990
Good morning,
For all of us who use our HTT2 with headphones, it is a serious question, if an upgrade cable for the headphones really generates a better sound?
It is important to demystify this fact, therefore I urge users to debate on this topic:
* Is it true that the "upgrade" cables for headphones notably improve the characteristics and quality of the audio?

For me cables matter when your system is top notch and transparent. A good cable improves my chain of TT2/ src-dx, transparent amp, and an abyss tc/susvara. I hear it, and that’s what matters. Helps to see a difference when you start off with really sucky stock susvara cables. It’s a topic beaten to death which will continue to be debated this decade until a new effective method of measurement becomes invented/discovered so just trust your ears.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #14,464 of 18,990
Good morning,

Well, I can hear the difference between stock copper cables and upgrade high-quality silver cables on my TT2 and Empyrean, even on H2. But some cable-skeptics won't believe me... and I don't really care :beyersmile: The best method is just to try yourself.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #14,465 of 18,990
That is in the perception of the beholder.

The stock cable(s) are often not the best and different cables can result in different sound signatures. Whether the sound signature of a cable is 'better' is subjective as much as anything.

I noticed a difference between using a Nordorst Heimdall adapter (1/4" -> 4 pin XLR) and a Moon Silver Dragon v3 adapter plugged into the TT2 and Lazuli Reference Plus cabled Utopia. And I wasn't expecting to. That's <12" wiring in the audio chain.

I can however say that even listening to my HD800S, the Danacable Lazuli sounds significantly different to the stock cable.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #14,466 of 18,990
For me cables matter when your system is top notch and transparent. A good cable improves my chain of TT2/ src-dx, transparent amp, and an abyss tc/susvara. I hear it, and that’s what matters. Helps to see a difference when you start off with really sucky stock susvara cables. It’s a topic beaten to death which will continue to be debated this decade until a new effective method of measurement becomes invented/discovered so just trust your ears.

Well, I can hear the difference between stock copper cables and upgrade high-quality silver cables on my TT2 and Empyrean, even on H2. But some cable-skeptics won't believe me... and I don't really care :beyersmile: The best method is just to try yourself.

That is in the perception of the beholder.

The stock cable(s) are often not the best and different cables can result in different sound signatures. Whether the sound signature of a cable is 'better' is subjective as much as anything.

I noticed a difference between using a Nordorst Heimdall adapter (1/4" -> 4 pin XLR) and a Moon Silver Dragon v3 adapter plugged into the TT2 and Lazuli Reference Plus cabled Utopia. And I wasn't expecting to. That's <12" wiring in the audio chain.

I can however say that even listening to my HD800S, the Danacable Lazuli sounds significantly different to the stock cable.
To complete the information; In my case, and as I said before, I use HTT2 with audeze LCD X, with its original cables, (mini xlr - 6.35mm plug), connected to the front of the Htt2

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #14,467 of 18,990
Good morning,
This is the single most controversial question on head fi. The science guys so "no" and if you hear a difference you are delusional. The cable guys say "yes" they can absolutely hear a difference and they are willing to bet their house on it. For me, I am a skeptic. I actually hear a difference in certain cables, but I don't trust my ears because confirmation bias is real, audio memory is flawed and other factors such tips, pads, gain levels may actually be the cause of these differences I hear. The science guys say that the only thing that matters is the resistance and capacitance of a cable and that the only detectable change to FR happens when you have a highly sensitive low impedance monitor of less than 15 ohms. Cable guys say that there is more to sound than frequency response and that there are a lot of non-frequency response things that impact sound. So, I don't know what to believe. I remain a cable skeptic, so much so that I don't even A/B test cables anymore. I only buy them for their tactility, their ergonomics and their looks. This approach is working well for me now. Everyone needs to make their own call. It's your money. Do whatever makes you happy. I do want to do a blind, volume equalized test of various cables to see if I can hear the difference and if I do what those differences are. Until I do that, I am going to continue to be a cable skeptic.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #14,468 of 18,990
This is the single most controversial question on head fi. The science guys so "no" and if you hear a difference you are delusional. The cable guys say "yes" they can absolutely hear a difference and they are willing to bet their house on it. For me, I am a skeptic. I actually hear a difference in certain cables, but I don't trust my ears because confirmation bias is real, audio memory is flawed and other factors such tips, pads, gain levels may actually be the cause of these differences I hear. The science guys say that the only thing that matters is the resistance and capacitance of a cable and that the only detectable change to FR happens when you have a highly sensitive low impedance monitor of less than 15 ohms. Cable guys say that there is more to sound than frequency response and that there are a lot of non-frequency response things that impact sound. So, I don't know what to believe. I remain a cable skeptic, so much so that I don't even A/B test cables anymore. I only buy them for their tactility, their ergonomics and their looks. This approach is working well for me now. Everyone needs to make their own call. It's your money. Do whatever makes you happy. I do want to do a blind, volume equalized test of various cables to see if I can hear the difference and if I do what those differences are. Until I do that, I am going to continue to be a cable skeptic.
Thank you for your opinion, I will keep it in mind

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #14,469 of 18,990
Yeah I agree, hence there's really no point debating it -- if it works for you, for any reason at all whether it improves your experience because your cable is pretty, or whether there's other unmeasurable factors that come into play, who cares? If you're a skeptic, that's healthy as well. But as with anything in the world, zealots are annoying. If you need someone to validate or affect your decision on cables, you're not gonna get the 100% correct answer this decade. You just gotta try it and decide for yourself. If it improves your listening experience, does it matter what the "science" says? If it does not affect your experience, then that's not up for debate either. This hobby is supposed to be fun and trying things out and then letting your ears discover improvements, if any, is nice.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #14,470 of 18,990
Good morning,
While obviously opinions on this matter are divided I would add one real reason to upgrade the cable: ergonomics. Some cables are flawed in their design strictly from ergonomic point of view making using headphones challenging. In case of TT2 thanks to front recessed headphone outputs, connection ergonomy can also play a role.

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #14,471 of 18,990
If you need someone to validate or affect your decision on cables, you're not gonna get the 100% correct answer this decade. You just gotta try it and decide for yourself. If it improves your listening experience, does it matter what the "science" says? If it does not affect your experience, then that's not up for debate either. This hobby is supposed to be fun and trying things out and then letting your ears discover improvements, if any, is nice.
I think there is an aspect that you do not consider, some upgrade cables cost almost the same as the hearing aid itself, so it is obvious and important to consult other users for the experience they already have.
It is not that I need someone to validate my decision, it is a matter of "ECONOMY" or common sense

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #14,472 of 18,990
I think there is an aspect that you do not consider, some upgrade cables cost almost the same as the hearing aid itself, so it is obvious and important to consult other users for the experience they already have.
It is not that I need someone to validate my decision, it is a matter of "ECONOMY" or common sense
except you will hear as many proponents of expensive cables as those against them. Not sure how that can work on achieving economy when all you're gonna get into is even more confusion. And it's a discussion beaten to death; you will find these discussions all over the internet; I'm not sure there's any fresh argument that will be written in this forum that has not been rehashed a hundred times all over the internet already. For every passionate pro-cable is a passionate anti-cable. I hope you can find a place to try them first. If not expensive cables, at least see for yourself if you can hear differences in sound signatures between inexpensive copper cables vs inexpensive silver cables. I think that can meet the requirements of common sense. Of course it's ok to ask for opinions and I've presented my thoughts and recommendations, you may take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #14,473 of 18,990
except you will hear as many proponents of expensive cables as those against them. Not sure how that can work on achieving economy when all you're gonna get into is even more confusion. And it's a discussion beaten to death; you will find these discussions all over the internet; I'm not sure there's any fresh argument that will be written in this forum that has not been rehashed a hundred times all over the internet already. For every passionate pro-cable is a passionate anti-cable. I hope you can find a place to try them first. If not expensive cables, at least see for yourself if you can hear differences in sound signatures between inexpensive copper cables vs inexpensive silver cables. I think that can meet the requirements of common sense.
I know what you are saying, but there really are “trusted” posters/reviewers with opinions I tend to respect. I don’t think @RCC HD Sound is wrong to seek out those opinions before purchasing. It’s helped me to do that; it supports my delusion that cables can make a difference…

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #14,474 of 18,990
I know what you are saying, but there really are “trusted” posters/reviewers with opinions I tend to respect. I don’t think @RCC HD Sound is wrong to seek out those opinions before purchasing. It’s helped me to do that; it supports my delusion that cables can make a difference…
thanks for your understanding

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #14,475 of 18,990
Upgrade cables do make a difference in my listening. THAT BEING SAID: This part is the audiophile/trying to reach nirvana in us. Is the difference night and day? NO. Is it subtle. Probably. To parrot others. If it works for you go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back