Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 13, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #14,446 of 19,009
With TT2/HMS i find aeon shockingly detailed and even on bright side. Mojo is condensed centered and not so detailed, but that gives more warmth becouse of dominant mids/bass. TT2 gives a lot detail, that even your head cant handle that at first. I even found that stock cable has bright edges with Aeon2closed. Silver manages aeon2 brightess very well. On some songs silver removes edgyness or sibilance from :s" word. And with TT2 detail its more than ever feelable of recordings imperfection.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #14,447 of 19,009
or in other words TT2/HMS requires maybe different Headphones. Like Ether2 or Empyrean or something else. But it seems such detail level shows everything and how to handle that should be tested with different headphones and their signature or cables. All in all its personal preference, but raising technology and detail up isnt so easy. Matching is important than ever. But overall Aeon2 plays so good with 10k setup. Ordered Vivo premium cable. But stock cooper has edgyness or is veiled and overall expression of high notes isnt pleasant definetely with TT2 and Aeon2Closed.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #14,448 of 19,009
Just when I think things can’t get stranger, I tried an experiment with my TT2 and my battery power supply since my Chord power supply only results in clicks when I attempt to use it. I have my battery plugged in to charge while still connected to the TT2. I turned the battery on and TT2 works perfectly when I power it up separately. In effect, my battery is acting as a continuous power supply replacing theChord power supply. Interesting, but I still have to get it fixed of course. Very strange IMHO.

I think Chord should issue all TT2 owners with a PSU that doesn't go over 15V. Then even if the fault happens in the TT2, it should still power on. Having said that, I am not sure exactly what is wrong. Rob gave us the idea that it's the over-voltage curciut in the TT. It flips out - when more than 15V is supplied, I think. Don't take my word for it, coz am no expert.

Am worried that it is the stock PSU that causes it.

I wish Chord would issue a statement on it though, coz it's scary.

I think the SBooster PSU might be the way to go, for those with good TT2, and bad. I think they might be very strictly controlled on voltage, since they are said to be quality. Someone with a faulty TT2 should give it a try, please and let us know. If the SBooster PSU would start the TT2, then it's probably safer to use too. .... Like I said though, I don't know if it's the stock PSU that causes the TT2 to go faulty. It might just be the TT2 over-voltage bit goes faulty on its own.

(I hope the SBooster is as RFI filtered as we hope. I think it's meant to be high quality PSU.)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #14,449 of 19,009
I might not understand your entire situation with your TT2, but it sounds like you are having a power supply issue and the TT2 is fine.
It functions perfectly with the battery. The power supply issue has been experienced by others who post here. I also tried my M-Scaler power supply which is identical to the TT2 power supply. Apparently a board needs to be replaced because there is some flaw with interaction with the power supply, but I’ve never seen an actual explanation of the issue. Once it’s fixed I’m going to continue using a battery to avoid the issue in the future.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #14,450 of 19,009
I think Chord should issue all TT2 owners with a PSU that doesn't go over 15V. Then even if the fault happens in the TT2, it should still power on. Having said that, I am not sure exactly what is wrong. Rob gave us the idea that it's the over-voltage curciut in the TT. It flips out - when more than 15V is supplied, I think. Don't take my word for it, coz am no expert.

Am worried that it is the stock PSU that causes it.

I wish Chord would issue a statement on it though, coz it's scary.

I think the SBooster PSU might be the way to go, for those with good TT2, and bad. I think they might be very strictly controlled on voltage, since they are said to be quality. Someone with a faulty TT2 should give it a try, please and let us know. If the SBooster PSU would start the TT2, then it's probably safer to use too. .... Like I said though, I don't know if it's the stock PSU that causes the TT2 to go faulty. It might just be the TT2 over-voltage bit goes faulty on its own.

(I hope the SBooster is as RFI filtered as we hope. I think it's meant to be high quality PSU.)
Yes, like you I wish Chord would issue a “clarifying” statement but that might put them in a difficult legal position. I understand in recent repairs they also provided a new (updated?) power supply but others may want to chime in here ((@Amberlamps perhaps) as I really am unsure. Using the battery really isn’t that big a deal for me; the Rav Power batteries last quite a while and can even be recharged while I use it to listen. I’m going to continue using the battery once it’s repaired. Honestly, I love the TT2 as it’s perfect for my usage but the inconvenience of dealing with the repair is annoying.

I do wish there was some additional clarity on the PSU issue but I sadly don’t think is as simple as moving to an SBooster or other aftermarket power supply. @Rob Watts is adamant that the supplied PSU is just fine; I’m over my head here and just want my TT2 repaired.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #14,451 of 19,009
Use ropieee as the software on the sig and on the first page set the switch to force vol to 100% on startup. The DX needs the alsa mixer to be set to 100%.
Thanks! I was finally able to figure out this whole alsamixer and linux command stuff. Was forced to learn in order to enjoy the device and it took me the whole day to figure out but IT IS WORTH IT. It’s always fun when your new toy gets you an obvious improvement in SQ. Since getting an HQPlayer I have only very remotely considered getting an M Scaler and with this tiny SRC-DX it just doesn’t make sense for me to to get an M Scaler anymore. I ordered from Nick at Wavehifi in the UK on Friday and it arrived in Singapore on Monday. Fabulous.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #14,452 of 19,009
I just wanted to say hello to the family of happy TT2 owners :wink:
Coming from Hugo2

Attachments

• 2E08C71B-4949-45AC-86C0-5FC24D8F41A5.jpeg
    2E08C71B-4949-45AC-86C0-5FC24D8F41A5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 15, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #14,454 of 19,009
Why are you waiting so long?

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #14,456 of 19,009
Yes, like you I wish Chord would issue a “clarifying” statement but that might put them in a difficult legal position. I understand in recent repairs they also provided a new (updated?) power supply but others may want to chime in here ((@Amberlamps perhaps) as I really am unsure. Using the battery really isn’t that big a deal for me; the Rav Power batteries last quite a while and can even be recharged while I use it to listen. I’m going to continue using the battery once it’s repaired. Honestly, I love the TT2 as it’s perfect for my usage but the inconvenience of dealing with the repair is annoying.

I do wish there was some additional clarity on the PSU issue but I sadly don’t think is as simple as moving to an SBooster or other aftermarket power supply. @Rob Watts is adamant that the supplied PSU is just fine; I’m over my head here and just want my TT2 repaired.

I don’t know anything about new power supplies ? what happened to me was, my TT2 funked up and Chord replaced it, the one I have now is all good, infact this one seems to be much better than the one it replaced. Just make sure Bobby builds your one, as Jake is still in training and his soldering skills are w.t.f

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #14,457 of 19,009
I don’t know anything about new power supplies ? what happened to me was, my TT2 funked up and Chord replaced it, the one I have now is all good, infact this one seems to be much better than the one it replaced. Just make sure Bobby builds your one, as Jake is still in training and his soldering skills are w.t.f
What do you mean much better? They sound different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back