Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 27, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #10,862 of 18,990
Speaking of TT2 issues...this just happened to me. Brand new unit, just unboxed last week. I plug it in, it just clicks and clicks, flashing CHG - never turns on. I just read another post about this very issue. Any tips for me? @Rob Watts

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i1yyDYzSNcYjuY8W7

...just when I was about to list my Qutest for sale!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #10,863 of 18,990
Speaking of TT2 issues...this just happened to me. Brand new unit, just unboxed last week. I plug it in, it just clicks and clicks, flashing CHG - never turns on. I just read another post about this very issue. Any tips for me? @Rob Watts

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i1yyDYzSNcYjuY8W7

...just when I was about to list my Qutest for sale!
I have no clue, but I’d try plugging a headphone in and then turning it on. I’m assuming it won’t have any impact but it may interrupt the loop you are stuck in.

Nov 27, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #10,864 of 18,990
I have no clue, but I’d try plugging a headphone in and then turning it on. I’m assuming it won’t have any impact but it may interrupt the loop you are stuck in.
Good tip. No go unfortunately.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #10,866 of 18,990
Sorry about that. I do see you have an M-Scaler from your signature. Try switching the power supply since they are the same; again it probably won’t work, but electronics can be bizarre.
That was the first thing I tried, had high hopes, but seems like an issue with the TT2 itself, not the power supply.

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #10,868 of 18,990
That was the first thing I tried, had high hopes, but seems like an issue with the TT2 itself, not the power supply.
OK holy crap, I had the idea of powering it up with the battery pack I use with my mScaler and that worked! I can get it to power on but it still fails with either of the original power supplies.

I use this with the MScaler https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085PYYX2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a 12v DC out battery pack that works great with the MScaler and seems to be the only way I can get the TT2 to power up as well. I thought the TT2 wouldn't work since it requires a 15v power supply, but it seems to be running fine off the batter pack. I wonder if it's safe to run the TT2 from it? I have two of the battery packs, so both my MScaler and TT2 can be powered via battery. @Rob Watts

I'll still definitely exchange the TT2 since it should be working fine with the original power supply, indicating that it's defective somehow.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #10,869 of 18,990
Be very careful. Using a third party power supply voids your warranty. Also, plugging headphones into faulty headphone amplifiers is not a good idea. You don't want to risk your headphones.

" Power supplies: All mains-operated Chord Electronics products will be supplied with the appropriate charger or power supply. It is important that customers only use those that we include within the package. Use of a third-party power supply can provide the wrong voltage or current to our devices and damage them, even if this is not initially noticeable. Use of a third-party power supply will immediately void your warranty."
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/warranty-policy/

In short, if you have a new piece of electronics that is malfunctioning do not experiment with it, plug headphones into it or try different power supplies. Just give it to your dealer who will remedy the situation.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #10,870 of 18,990
Be very careful. Using a third party power supply voids your warranty. Also, plugging headphones into faulty headphone amplifiers is not a good idea. You don't want to risk your headphones.

" Power supplies: All mains-operated Chord Electronics products will be supplied with the appropriate charger or power supply. It is important that customers only use those that we include within the package. Use of a third-party power supply can provide the wrong voltage or current to our devices and damage them, even if this is not initially noticeable. Use of a third-party power supply will immediately void your warranty."
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/warranty-policy/

In short, if you have a new piece of electronics that is malfunctioning do not experiment with it, plug headphones into it or try different power supplies. Just give it to your dealer who will remedy the situation.
Good tip and appreciate your input. I got in touch with my dealer first thing. But, I have waited for months to get this thing and who knows how long before an exchange is processed. I'm not going to return it without a bit of diagnosis first. Nothing I have done so far was too risky. I tried the MScaler's power supply (which seems to be exactly identical to the TT2's) to rule out the power supply. The headphones I plugged in to try and break the power up loop were some spares, wasn't concerned about them. The battery pack is putting out 12v and the TT2 takes in 15v. I'm not using it unless I get the OK from Rob Watts, but the fact that the TT2 powered up successfully with it was a good sign. I was hoping using it with the original supply after a good power up from the battery would have fixed it, but it is the combination of it's own power supply and the TT2 that is causing the problem. I don't know about you, but I can't just put something back in the box without a bit of investigation first! I'm an engineer, it's in my nature.

I've been a fan of Chord products for years, starting with the Qute, then the Hugo, Hugo2, Qutest, TT2, MScaler - and I've never had an issue till this one. They're usually extremely solid and reliable.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #10,871 of 18,990
Good tip and appreciate your input. I got in touch with my dealer first thing. But, I have waited for months to get this thing and who knows how long before an exchange is processed. I'm not going to return it without a bit of diagnosis first. Nothing I have done so far was too risky. I tried the MScaler's power supply (which seems to be exactly identical to the TT2's) to rule out the power supply. The headphones I plugged in to try and break the power up loop were some spares, wasn't concerned about them. The battery pack is putting out 12v and the TT2 takes in 15v. I'm not using it unless I get the OK from Rob Watts, but the fact that the TT2 powered up successfully with it was a good sign. I was hoping using it with the original supply after a good power up from the battery would have fixed it, but it is the combination of it's own power supply and the TT2 that is causing the problem. I don't know about you, but I can't just put something back in the box without a bit of investigation first! I'm an engineer, it's in my nature.

I've been a fan of Chord products for years, starting with the Qute, then the Hugo, Hugo2, Qutest, TT2, MScaler - and I've never had an issue till this one. They're usually extremely solid and reliable.
Actually @Rob Watts said a 12 volt battery would be fine and apparently won’t void their warranty. Here’s a link into that thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-15894586

I gather that some use a battery with the M-Scaler as a means of minimizing RFI; I have zero experience with that so I don’t know if that actually works.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #10,872 of 18,990
Actually @Rob Watts said a 12 volt battery would be fine and apparently won’t void their warranty. Here’s a link into that thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-15894586

I gather that some use a battery with the M-Scaler as a means of minimizing RFI; I have zero experience with that so I don’t know if that actually works.
Found another of his posts, confirming a 12v battery with TT2 should be fine. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-15393324

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #10,873 of 18,990
OK holy crap, I had the idea of powering it up with the battery pack I use with my mScaler and that worked! I can get it to power on but it still fails with either of the original power supplies.

I use this with the MScaler https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085PYYX2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a 12v DC out battery pack that works great with the MScaler and seems to be the only way I can get the TT2 to power up as well. I thought the TT2 wouldn't work since it requires a 15v power supply, but it seems to be running fine off the batter pack. I wonder if it's safe to run the TT2 from it? I have two of the battery packs, so both my MScaler and TT2 can be powered via battery. @Rob Watts

I'll still definitely exchange the TT2 since it should be working fine with the original power supply, indicating that it's defective somehow.

Sounds to me that the TT2 inrush current limiter isn't working too well. If the supplied PSU goes above 4A it hiccups, and so TT2 stops charging the super-caps. I guess the battery supply can supply the TT2 inrush current without hiccuping. I would go back to your dealer and get TT2 replaced, but you can certainly run it off a 12v battery.

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #10,874 of 18,990
Sounds to me that the TT2 inrush current limiter isn't working too well. If the supplied PSU goes above 4A it hiccups, and so TT2 stops charging the super-caps. I guess the battery supply can supply the TT2 inrush current without hiccuping. I would go back to your dealer and get TT2 replaced, but you can certainly run it off a 12v battery.
Thank you! Can't tell you how amazing it is that a user can ask a question like this and get an answer from the designer himself in a few hours.

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #10,875 of 18,990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back