Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #10,876 of 19,012
Remember that Hugo was the first Chord product to ship over 10,000 units.
Everything afterwards built on that foundation.

+ 10’000 sales and + 20’000 w.t.f mate.

Just look at all the inputs/outputs sticking out of the thing, it drove folk mad trying to figure things out, I also wonder how many folk lost the dust cover for the optical port when putting it and out of their pocket, or the infamous man‘s shoulder bag that was released for it.

That shoulder bag instantly made Hugo famous in LGBT circles, it‘s similar to the secret handshake that freemasons do to gain entry to exclusive upperclass gentlemen's clubs. The hugo shoulder bag on the other hand, it only opens back doors.

You keep’a knocking but you can’t *@#@ in.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #10,877 of 19,012
Man bags are cool

Nov 28, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #10,881 of 19,012
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #10,882 of 19,012
I'm a big fan but the remake of Tea for the Tillerman didn't really do anything for me. The original release is still perfect.

Agreed it was very disappointing. It isn’t possible to improve on perfection.

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #10,883 of 19,012
My Antipodes DX (gen 1) copies CDs to its SSD as uncompressed FLAC files, and is stated as the best quality option...and superb it truly is. However, after copying some hi-res WAV files over to it I always felt they could do even better. After noticing in ipeng player that they'd been converted to much lower bitrate FLAC files, I found in the server's Logitech Media Player/Server settings/advanced/file type that WAV files had the FLAC streaming option enabled. So I disabled it (along with mp3) and enabled PCM (native). The leap in performance was unmissable...much greater depth, dynamics and stage spaciousness. And a bass I never thought the Empyreans capable of...quite outstanding.

So next I copied over some CD quality WAV music to compare with the Antipodes's FLAC internal recordings of the same material...and with very similar results, even though this time the FLAC bitrate was similar to WAV/PCM...???? Lastly in 'file type' I changed the FLAC file setting from flac to PCM...and blow me down with similar results once more, even though with file conversion 'on the fly'.

Conclusion...in my setup, performance from WAV recordings outshines FLAC every time, even when at similar bitrates. And when FLAC bitrates fall well below WAV/PCM, it's no contest at all. I personally have always believed WAV to have the edge, despite FLAC 'lossless' claims...to lower bits-per-second playback and expect no consequences at all does not compute with me I'm afraid! :wink: Plus...RW has optimised TT2 and m-scaler functioning for...PCM, WAV being the wrapper for these files of course, and so logic would dictate this being their best food no?!

I had heard about this from a few people, even the manufacturer of my streamer suggested trying PCM only streaming. The reasoning is that the streamer is required to do less processing. I’ve been meaning to try it but that Filetypes page in the LMS server setup is so confusing, I’ve put it aside for years. After your post I finally tried it and it makes a subtle improvement for me as well! Slightly smoother highs and slightly better bass. Or is that slightly less treble noise which make the bass more discernable? It is subtle but the highs are less spitty.

Whatever, it is an improvement, it is free and welcome. Thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #10,884 of 19,012
Anyone, folks using, TT2 with Dan Clark Aeon 2 headphones? Your experience? Has it way way more power than Hugo2 driveing these headphones?

Just in any tiny tiny case someone in Europe is thinking to sel l TT2 or trade to Hugo2, let me know!!!! Thank you.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #10,885 of 19,012
Anyone, folks using, TT2 with Dan Clark Aeon 2 headphones? Your experience? Has it way way more power than Hugo2 driveing these headphones?

Just in any tiny tiny case someone in Europe is thinking to sel l TT2 or trade to Hugo2, let me know!!!! Thank you.
A2O sound fantastic straight out of the TT2. Can vouch for that combo.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #10,888 of 19,012
I'm considering buying an M-Scaler and Qutest combination and I looking through some reviews, I see one reviewer recommending that the Chord Hugo TT2 gives a better end result than the M-Scaler with Qutest, which kind of surprised me as I'm already familiar with the benefits that the M-Scaler brings to the party, having a Blu Mk2 and Dave combination on another system.

For people that have been able to make this comparison, which do you think sounds best; Hugo TT2 or M-Scaler/Qutest?

TIA

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #10,889 of 19,012
I'm considering buying an M-Scaler and Qutest combination and I looking through some reviews, I see one reviewer recommending that the Chord Hugo TT2 gives a better end result than the M-Scaler with Qutest, which kind of surprised me as I'm already familiar with the benefits that the M-Scaler brings to the party, having a Blu Mk2 and Dave combination on another system.

For people that have been able to make this comparison, which do you think sounds best; Hugo TT2 or M-Scaler/Qutest?

TIA
Mscaler with Qutest, no contest. I have both at the moment. Obviously Mscaler with TT2 is even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back