Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 26, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #10,846 of 18,990
I do want to get and M. The connecting cables can cost $$$. I just read a comparo the other day w/three different cables and of course the big boys were perceived as better/best. Wave Storm Reference Dual data cables with Oyaide BNC connectors
https://avcorp.pl/product-eng-2754-Cardas-Clear-Digital-BNC.html Icenine2, then these BNC cables probably wouldn’t work because they’re not expensive enough. J-K. Man this ain’t a cheap hobby!

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #10,848 of 18,990
Don't forget about about Moon Audio’s Silver Dragon also.
Spawn300Z, almost two hands full of hundred dollar bills is a lot to pay for 3ft of fancy cables if you ax me.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #10,850 of 18,990
I was looking at it too, but I find it ridiculous to pay 60 euro for that short cable adapter I will use from the set. Realistically some of us will also have an external amp connected to the TT2, and that provides the grounding.

@Rob Watts What is the technical reason for not having grounding in the TT2 via its power supply? I see many other amp/DACs without it, so I am sure there is a good reason. Is it impossible from a technical perspective when using an external power supply like the stock power cable/supply?

So in selecting the PSU I had a number of different units - some earthed, some not. The one I chose had dramatically better measured performance, and sounded closest to a battery supply, and just happened to be not earthed. The benefit of fully isolated PSU is that ground loop currents are attenuated (you might think that having no ground would eliminate it but it doesn't work out that way due to parasitic capacitance on the transformer windings), and I suspect it was this aspect that gave the measured performance, that is same as a battery. The downside is the 100uA leakage current tingle...

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #10,851 of 18,990
I do want to get and M. The connecting cables can cost $$$. I just read a comparo the other day w/three different cables and of course the big boys were perceived as better/best. Wave Storm Reference Dual data cables with Oyaide BNC connectors
I have not spent anywhere near that sort of money on cables before but after hearing the difference I was willing to spend the money on them.

Nov 27, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #10,852 of 18,990
I have not spent anywhere near that sort of money on cables before but after hearing the difference I was willing to spend the money on them.
Did you go for the Storm Reference or one of the two cheaper options?

Nov 27, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #10,853 of 18,990
Did you go for the Storm Reference or one of the two cheaper options?
I bought the Stream cables but I have the Storm cables coming for comparison. If I notice a difference that I feel is an improvement then I'll keep the Storm.

Nov 27, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #10,854 of 18,990
Since a couple of days i have this problem: when i turn on my TT2, it is charging (showing CHG in the display), and then when it is ready, it gives a loud plop in the left channel, and after that a static noise is audible (only in the left channel). I can hear the plop and static noise through my headphones and through my speakers.
It makes no difference if it is in DAC, AMP of HP mode. It also makes no difference which filter or crossfeed setting is on. High Gain or Low Gain, volume setting does also not make a difference.
I have disconnected the TT2 from the power overnight, but the next morning the same thing happens.

I will return the TT2 for repair, i assume it will be fixed under warranty. I wonder if anyone else here experienced this problem?

When i bought this TT2 I found that it didn’t have the typical Chord sound as i knew it from Hugo and the TT. What I especially liked about these dacs was the warmth and smoothness and almost analogue like sound. I missed that with the TT2, it sounded more analytical. What i did like about TT2 was the transparancy en higher resolution. So i bought it.

But sometimes, depending on the music, the TT2 sounded too bright for my taste, so kept searching for a little more warmth and smoothness. The TT2 plays as a dac only, so i could to tinker with the rest of the chain (amp, streamer, cables). I tried different usb cables, different powercords, and i noticed that even the order of the powerplugs in the Vibex powerblock makes quite a difference. This TT2 is much more sensitive for changes in the rest of the chain than the little Hugo. I even found a switch that sounded better, and a LAN cable that made a difference. And also the placement of the TT2 was critical, on the shelf or on top of other equipment makes a difference.
In the end, after weeks, months, of trial and error, i was finally satisfied with the sound.

And then it broke down. The left channel had distortion. After two week i got it back repaired, so that was quick. Don’t know what they did thoug, the problem was solved, but the TT2 sounds quite a bit different! Darker, warmer, smooth! Sometimes almost a little too warm… Well, maybe this unit was faulty from the beginning, who knows.

But the story continues: after a few months, i had the TT2 almost a year, it broke down again!!!
It wouldn’t turn on, lights blinking, loud ticking, it’s in some sort of start up loop. For the second time i had to send it in for repair. It didn’t have to go to the UK, because a local repair company here is authorised to do the repairs for Chord. Unfortunately the are very busy and i am waiting more than a month now. When i phoned them yesterday they told me that they ordered a mainboard from the UK and that they do not know how long the waiting will be, because of the covid thing and everybody working at home.

Meanwhile I am getting serious doubts over the build quality of the TT2. I wonder if i can enjoy this machine ever again, without thinking how long it will take before it breaks down again?
So glad that i didn’t sell my little Hugo. It lacks the transparancy, resolution and depth of the TT2, but it sounds foottapping good right now. Maybe i ‘ll sell the TT2.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #10,855 of 18,990
its possible chord hit gold with Hugo and TT. The rest hamster wheel. But I won’t knock successive attempts at improvement, that’s how we stumble upon success.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #10,856 of 18,990
I bought the Stream cables but I have the Storm cables coming for comparison. If I notice a difference that I feel is an improvement then I'll keep the Storm.
Let me know what you conclude. I’m currently listening to a DIY option made up of pre-built 1.3-metre Oyaide DB-510 cables with a smattering of clip-on ferrites, but not sure whether or not to explore further as it’s sounding pretty good as is.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #10,857 of 18,990
Let me know what you conclude. I’m currently listening to a DIY option made up of pre-built 1.3-metre Oyaide DB-510 cables with a smattering of clip-on ferrites, but not sure whether or not to explore further as it’s sounding pretty good as is.
I originally compared the stock cable to the Stream and there was an obvious difference in the sound quality. It will be interesting to compare them to the Storm and I will post an update.

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #10,858 of 18,990
IMHO the M-Scaler was a definite “improvement” in my listening chain (both my 2.1 system and headphone listening) so I think the first concern is if the addition of an M-Scaler alone is worth it to you. I did purchase a BNC cable “upgrade” purchasing Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables; the Wave cables may be better but I couldn’t justify the price for another (perhaps minor) incremental improvement. I didn’t do any extended comparison between the stock cables and the Moon cables closing instead to just enjoy my new upgrades; I think they improved things but I can’t say that definitively.

I suspect RFI may be less of a concern for me than most. I live in a relatively remote rural setting with a single power line and no cell towers close by unlike others in more congested suburban/city settings. I have power management and only a laptop, TV and a couple of iPads to be concerned about. I‘m hardly an RFI expert so maybe that still has a meaningful impact; feel free to chime in if anyone thinks that’s enough to be concerned about. Otherwise I’m pretty happy with my current set up fully realizing there is always something better out there!

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #10,859 of 18,990
its possible chord hit gold with Hugo and TT. The rest hamster wheel. But I won’t knock successive attempts at improvement, that’s how we stumble upon success.

Unlikey, even parker schnabel couldn’t find gold there.

It only took 1 attempt ( not successive ) to put Hugo and it’s fat brother to shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back