Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 24, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #10,816 of 18,907
The only feature that I wish it had is to remember the volume levels on different outputs so that I could leave my headphone cable plugged in and just select the output that I want to use by remote control. Unless I've missed something and it does that already...

No, if the headphone Jack is being used, the TT2 automatically defaults to the headphone output.

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #10,817 of 18,907
No, if the headphone Jack is being used, the TT2 automatically defaults to the headphone output.
That’s what I thought. :slight_frown:

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #10,818 of 18,907
I leave an adapter plugged into one of the 1/4” jacks to force to headphone mode.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #10,820 of 18,907
Hi,

I’ve just purchased a used TT2 (with the intention that it will replace my TT1).

I would just like to run an issue past you (as fellow owners) to see if it’s ‘normal behaviour’.

When either connecting power with the 15V 4A stock PSU to the TT2 from completely dead or when taking the TT2 out of Standby, on the first time I try to play music, I hear a loud crackling noise from the speakers/headphones (both channels) and the display cycles randomly through sample rates. When stopping playback (Roon and HQPe), strangely, the crackling noise can continue for a while. I find that a ‘hot recycle’ (disconnect/ reconnect) of the USB cable (either at the streamer or TT2 end) solves the problem – and the display then defaults to 768 until I begin playback of a file at 705kHz, say.

I haven’t tried a different USB cable yet, nor a lower sample rate, but I know that the cable works well with my TT1 and an RME ADI-2 FS DAC, and that the latter DAC works fine when sent 705 / 768 kHz PCM from my OpticalRendu.

Does the TT2 need to see a positive-going USB signal to sync correctly such that I need to depower the OpticalRendu before taking the TT2 out of Standby before rebooting the OoticalRendu? This has never been a requirement of TT1.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #10,821 of 18,907
But it will remember the volume level. If you remove the headphone, and use the rear outputs and change the volume, when you plug the headphone back in, it will remember the original volume. The front and back outputs are remembered independently.
But I cannot leave the headphones plugged in and just switch outputs between headphones and speakers if I understand correctly.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #10,822 of 18,907
Hi,

I’ve just purchased a used TT2 (with the intention that it will replace my TT1).

I would just like to run an issue past you (as fellow owners) to see if it’s ‘normal behaviour’.

When either connecting power with the 15V 4A stock PSU to the TT2 from completely dead or when taking the TT2 out of Standby, on the first time I try to play music, I hear a loud crackling noise from the speakers/headphones (both channels) and the display cycles randomly through sample rates. When stopping playback (Roon and HQPe), strangely, the crackling noise can continue for a while. I find that a ‘hot recycle’ (disconnect/ reconnect) of the USB cable (either at the streamer or TT2 end) solves the problem – and the display then defaults to 768 until I begin playback of a file at 705kHz, say.

I haven’t tried a different USB cable yet, nor a lower sample rate, but I know that the cable works well with my TT1 and an RME ADI-2 FS DAC, and that the latter DAC works fine when sent 705 / 768 kHz PCM from my OpticalRendu.

Does the TT2 need to see a positive-going USB signal to sync correctly such that I need to depower the OpticalRendu before taking the TT2 out of Standby before rebooting the OoticalRendu? This has never been a requirement of TT1.

Try to just bypass the Optical Rendu and run the USB directly into the TT2 and use the TT2 as an end point and see what happens.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #10,823 of 18,907
Try to just bypass the Optical Rendu and run the USB directly into the TT2 and use the TT2 as an end point and see what happens.
My Roon Core doesn’t do USB direct - sadly. But all works fine to TT1 (HD USB also galvanically isolated) fed from the OpticalRendu, so I am struggling to understand what’s changed.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #10,825 of 18,907
I was hoping for some suggestions or setup Help.
I have the Hugo TT2/M-Scaler Stack. I reciently purchased two Chord TTobys I was planning to run Bi-Amped to some new speakers I plan to purchase. I was thinking of later purchasing the WA33 so I could try some harder to drive Headphones in the future. But after reading this review of the Abyss Diana Phi: https://headfonics.com/abyss-headphones-diana-phi-review/2/

I'm thinking I may change my plan and use a TToby with the Hifiman HE-Adapter to drive headphones in balanced configuration.

1. Has there been many people using this setup configuration and what are your thoughts on the setup.
2. Does anyone know of a way I could possibly use both amps in this setup. 1 TToby to drive Headphones and the other for monitors.

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #10,826 of 18,907
Hi,

This problem also occurs with Antipodes running hqplayer embedded. It is a sync problem on usb with hqplayer. One way to avoid it is to goto settings on hqplayer and click apply. Another is to make sure TT2 is powered up before powering up Antipodes/Sonictransporter. Sometimes this will happen randomly and will certainly wake you up. The apply fix will help this.

If you are using naa on urendu then restart naa should re apply handshake.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #10,827 of 18,907
This problem also occurs with Antipodes running hqplayer embedded. It is a sync problem on usb with hqplayer. One way to avoid it is to goto settings on hqplayer and click apply. Another is to make sure TT2 is powered up before powering up Antipodes/Sonictransporter. Sometimes this will happen randomly and will certainly wake you up. The apply fix will help this.

If you are using naa on urendu then restart naa should re apply handshake.
Thanks for that - it mirrors my findings from just this minute communicating with Chord on the matter. Their website wrongly states that TT1 has galvanic isolation on the HD USB input (they’re going to correct it), and it’s their theory that this isolation in the TT2 is the root cause of the change in behaviour from TT1 to TT2. It’s a ‘first world problem’ really, and it’s no big deal to reboot the OR whilst taking the TT2 out of standby (correct power-up sequence). Or I could just leave it all powered given the low component power dissipation. But thanks again for further confirming that my pre-owned TT2 is behaving normally.

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #10,828 of 18,907
I was hoping for some suggestions or setup Help.
I have the Hugo TT2/M-Scaler Stack. I reciently purchased two Chord TTobys I was planning to run Bi-Amped to some new speakers I plan to purchase. I was thinking of later purchasing the WA33 so I could try some harder to drive Headphones in the future. But after reading this review of the Abyss Diana Phi: https://headfonics.com/abyss-headphones-diana-phi-review/2/

I'm thinking I may change my plan and use a TToby with the Hifiman HE-Adapter to drive headphones in balanced configuration.

1. Has there been many people using this setup configuration and what are your thoughts on the setup.
2. Does anyone know of a way I could possibly use both amps in this setup. 1 TToby to drive Headphones and the other for monitors.
If you get a cable to go from the front panel HP out to the TToby input, you could use both. You would need to unplug he HP in font when you wanted to listen to speakers.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #10,829 of 18,907
Hey @Whazzzup and any other Antipodes - or any other server/player owners to which this might apply.

After my recent (pleasant) surprise at the potential performance of the TT2/HMS/Antipodes DX combo - and which will respond to any and all upgrades to the rest of the system - I discovered something that takes my own system at least another notch higher...and refers basically to FLAC vs WAV recordings.

My Antipodes DX (gen 1) copies CDs to its SSD as uncompressed FLAC files, and is stated as the best quality option...and superb it truly is. However, after copying some hi-res WAV files over to it I always felt they could do even better. After noticing in ipeng player that they'd been converted to much lower bitrate FLAC files, I found in the server's Logitech Media Player/Server settings/advanced/file type that WAV files had the FLAC streaming option enabled. So I disabled it (along with mp3) and enabled PCM (native). The leap in performance was unmissable...much greater depth, dynamics and stage spaciousness. And a bass I never thought the Empyreans capable of...quite outstanding.

So next I copied over some CD quality WAV music to compare with the Antipodes's FLAC internal recordings of the same material...and with very similar results, even though this time the FLAC bitrate was similar to WAV/PCM...???? Lastly in 'file type' I changed the FLAC file setting from flac to PCM...and blow me down with similar results once more, even though with file conversion 'on the fly'.

Conclusion...in my setup, performance from WAV recordings outshines FLAC every time, even when at similar bitrates. And when FLAC bitrates fall well below WAV/PCM, it's no contest at all. I personally have always believed WAV to have the edge, despite FLAC 'lossless' claims...to lower bits-per-second playback and expect no consequences at all does not compute with me I'm afraid! :wink: Plus...RW has optimised TT2 and m-scaler functioning for...PCM, WAV being the wrapper for these files of course, and so logic would dictate this being their best food no?!

NB... A word of caution however. At first the much more dynamic/deeper presentation threw me off balance somewhat...a little too much perhaps? It was quite a long while before I reminded myself of the need for brain burn-in as well as in all the rest of the system. But this time it took much longer than usual for the brain's quirky tendency to focus more intently on new/unexpected sounds and almost ignore others in the FR before regaining a correct balanced perception...(something often ignored/not realised by folks when assessing/judging performance - of any hi-fi gear). But thankfully, days of 'readapting' have confirmed that all the performance changes I mentioned have not been at the expense of the superb qualities I've covered recently, and have come to appreciate what a truly dynamic delivery can sound like...especially when it can be enjoyed at lower listening levels lol!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #10,830 of 18,907
How would that work when they are not stacked? I also prefer not to stack my components.

I'm sure they'll sell you a cable...

My thought is elimination of items in signal path.

Wow, post 10,830...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back