Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 20, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #10,786 of 18,907
The electric code doesn't specify which direction the ground plug hole needs to face. One way isn't safer than the other—as long as the outlet is wired correctly.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #10,787 of 18,907
The electric code doesn't specify which direction the ground plug hole needs to face. One way isn't safer than the other—as long as the outlet is wired correctly.
The code book in Canada has diagrams of the plugs and the ground is at the top. There is no mention in the codes that this is required and lead to many discussions in the shop. The ground at the bottom always made most sense to me as it was the last point to disconnect.

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #10,789 of 18,907
Indeed, however 'Off Topic' is totally my domain but 'even I' struggle to keep up with this level of............... :darthsmile:

Your "off topic is weak in you, young padawan".

The only cure is to walk in to this thing when it's turned on.

5291893D-598C-4328-97E5-5C14A24860E2.jpeg

That is where the X-Men got their super powers from, I think, but it's highly likely that it's not.

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #10,792 of 18,907
We are all no match for you.

Anyway, any updates regarding your TT2 and clicking?

Not true Mike, I've seen OT many of times that had nothing to do with me.

Yeah, my TT2 it's working ok, it sounds good. I had forgot just how good it was, the clicking I heard was nothing to worry about, it was normal operation.

I'm also thinking about selling it or trading it in and upgrading to a Dave, it's just the fact that it's 5 year old tech and I would kick myself if I bought it and 12-18 months later dave 2 was released.

But it would probably be priced at £10K which is ridiculous money for "digital" music.

Edit.

I forgot to mention that I got an sparkie / electrician in to check my mains from the consumer box aka breaker box, to all the wall sockets and switches.

He had a pretty cool bit of tech strapped to his waist and he tested each and every socket and switches, and they all passed his tests.

He also changed 3 double wall sockets with new ones, ( they passed his tests before they were replaced ) as those sockets didn't look like all the other sockets in the house. He changed them for "free". For the price he charged me to test my entire system, "free" it was not.

For the piece of mind that his testing gave me, I felt like I was one of the lucky few who managed to get on a lifeboat from the titanic.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #10,793 of 18,907
I have not heard a DCS Bartok but would definitely give that a listen as well if you're considering a DAVE. I almost bought a DAVE instead of the TT2. I found a used/like new at an excellent price. What stopped me was the headphone section. A few were telling me you need a separate headphone amp. I understand Bartok's is excellent. Decisons

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #10,794 of 18,907
Not true Mike, I've seen OT many of times that had nothing to do with me.

Yeah, my TT2 it's working ok, it sounds good. I had forgot just how good it was, the clicking I heard was nothing to worry about, it was normal operation.

I'm also thinking about selling it or trading it in and upgrading to a Dave, it's just the fact that it's 5 year old tech and I would kick myself if I bought it and 12-18 months later dave 2 was released.

But it would probably be priced at £10K which is ridiculous money for "digital" music.

Chord likes its form factors. mScaler is in the table top form factor. DAVE is in the Chorale/Reference form factor. My guess it will either be a Chorale upscaler or a DAVE2 with more taps and more headphone power.

Surely a DAVE isn't tapped out...

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #10,795 of 18,907
Just got my TT2 this week.

Does anyone notice that the external casing being aluminum have a slight static electric feel.
Not enough to get a static shock but just brushing fingertips across the top part of the unit feel like buzz/ vibrate.
This does not happen when the unit is off.

Perhaps i have a grounding issue?

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #10,796 of 18,907
Chord likes its form factors. mScaler is in the table top form factor. DAVE is in the Chorale/Reference form factor. My guess it will either be a Chorale upscaler or a DAVE2 with more taps and more headphone power.

Does it make product sense to release ever-increasing tap length stand alone days when the mScaler technology makes that redundant? I wonder if they Chord should concentrate on marketing the best, non-redundant offering in 3 boxes: the scaler, the dac, and the output stage. The output is on of the differences between the Dave and TT2. Maybe a 10, 20 and whatever is next/best output element box fed by a pure DAC box fed by mScaler, which they can make in a few flavors, like 200k taps, 500k taps, and 1mm. Then people could mix and match to hptheir budget and sound preferences.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #10,797 of 18,907

Does anyone notice that the external casing being aluminum have a slight static electric feel.
Not enough to get a static shock but just brushing fingertips across the top part of the unit feel like buzz/ vibrate.

They all have that slight buzzy feeling, it does nothing to affect the sound quality and it's nothing to worry about.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #10,798 of 18,907

First of all, this is absolutely normal. My humble understanding of this goes back to owning the Grace Design m900 two years ago. Basically the unit is "floating" and has some current in it because it is not grounded. The power plug on the TT2 is not 3-pin grounded. So unless you connect the TT2 to an external amp which is grounded, it will do this. I don't like it, personally, so I keep the TT2 connected to my tube amp and the issue is solved. How do others handle it? Is the galvanic isolation in the stock USB cable or the unit itself?

BTW this was the response from Grace Design tech support. I think it is 100% identical to what is happening with the TT2 when not grounded.

"If it is not connected to any earth grounded equipment, then
the chassis will be floating and it is normal to have some ground
leakage in the power supply putting voltage on the chassis. There
shouldn't be any current able to flow, so it shouldn't be anything to
worry about."

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #10,799 of 18,907
unit itself, any usb can plug into the HD port

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #10,800 of 18,907

I suspect a choral range 2-2.5 million taps upscaler for dave, and then daves replacement, then a dx amp for mscaler, then hugo 3, then TT3, and then a mojo 2, but I very much doubt that chord will ever make a poly or 2go device ever again, and thats a shame, as the hardware is capable of doing what it was intended for.

If they ever do things like that again, maybe change the company that is making the software for them, as I think it's them who are behind alot of polys and 2go's problems, and not chord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back