Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 20, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #10,771 of 18,907
All I'll say re the dealer / no dealer discussion is that I generally despise middlemen and try to buy direct. But I wouldn't own a TT2 now if I hadn't played with its shiny ball and enjoyed its sound a year ago at a shop. :) Maybe there is room for both approaches.

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #10,772 of 18,907
All I'll say re the dealer / no dealer discussion is that I generally despise middlemen and try to buy direct. But I wouldn't own a TT2 now if I hadn't played with its shiny ball and enjoyed its sound a year ago at a shop. :) Maybe there is room for both approaches.
While I agree that buying direct offers some potential advantages, this often (obviously) just isn’t an option for some business models. Chord, for example, is really a small niche manufacturer and adding the burden of direct sales just isn’t in their wheelhouse in my opinion. I dislike anything that adds extra cost to an already expensive purchase but advertising, supply chains, physical product displays, and interacting with customers worldwide is a huge undertaking. Before Covid, I enjoyed visiting high end audio businesses; when prices exceeded value for me, I’d look for other alternatives (used, sales, other products, etc). I didn’t get a chance to play with the shiny ball before buying my TT2 so I want to thank each and every poster here who made the process less daunting by providing ongoing very helpful dialogue! FWIW I did find a great middleman who provided the service (and price) that I was looking for.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #10,773 of 18,907
I'm just lying here listening to some oldies, from Cat Stevens, ( I can't remember what his ISIS name is ) but his Tea For The Tilerman album sounds very good, it's like folk rock, and sounds great via my setup, MScaler & TT2.

I just threw that out there incase anyone wanted to check it out, it's available on Qobuz, the usual 44.1khz version and a 24bit 192khz version.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #10,774 of 18,907
I'm just lying here listening to some oldies, from Cat Stevens, ( I can't remember what his ISIS name is ) but his Tea For The Tilerman album sounds very good, it's like folk rock, and sounds great via my setup, MScaler & TT2.

I just threw that out there incase anyone wanted to check it out, it's available on Qobuz, the usual 44.1khz version and a 24bit 192khz version.
yusuf islam

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #10,775 of 18,907
yusuf islam
Indeed, however 'Off Topic' is totally my domain but 'even I' struggle to keep up with this level of............... :darthsmile:

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #10,776 of 18,907
yusuf islam

That was quick Mike, I did know he changed his name but I totally forgot what he changed it too, and for some reason my google foo is not strong tonight.

Whilst you're here, do you know of any other bands that have the same style as cat / yusuf has ?

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #10,777 of 18,907

Are you listening to the original version or the one he rerecorded this year ?

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #10,778 of 18,907
That was quick Mike, I did know he changed his name but I totally forgot what he changed it too, and for some reason my google foo is not strong tonight.

Whilst you're here, do you know of any other bands that have the same style as cat / yusuf has ?
A DJ has just suggested Nick Drake
Another DJ has suggested Townes van Zandt
Others have suggested on a more down/sad tip. Bill Callahan or Bonnie Prince Billy

That provides you with a few artists to start exploring.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #10,779 of 18,907
Yes Rob did state that about USB cables. While I'm awaiting Curious I plugged in Amazon USB Basic. Works great!
I received the new Evolved Curious Cable. No contest between anything else I've listened to. Excellent.

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #10,780 of 18,907
IMG_5754.jpg

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #10,781 of 18,907
I went whole hog here and added backing plate and NCF Carbon Fibre coated face plate. I am under no delusion that I'll actually be able to hear a difference. I did it because 1) It looked cool to me and 2) I got a deal on both.
The receptacle DOES make a difference but I'm sure the rest is fluff.
IMG_5731.jpg

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #10,783 of 18,907
And yes I cleaned the paint off that. Had to patch and repair the whole wall for this!
Either the receptacles or face plate is upside down. haha

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #10,785 of 18,907
Either the receptacles or face plate is upside down. haha
All of mine are upside down so I was curious to learn more. Orientation of a plug apparently depends on where you live though either is “correct” as long as it’s consistent. Here’s a quote from family handyman:

”It all comes down to aesthetics, so install them whatever way looks best to you. Incidentally, the ground plug is typically down in the United States, the opposite of how it’s generally installed in Canada.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back