Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 25, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #10,831 of 18,907
I'm sure they'll sell you a cable...

My thought is elimination of items in signal path.

Wow, post 10,830...
I thought you were talking about them being stacked and connecting together without cables when stacked, which wouldn't make for a decent look when they were not stacked, unless I have misunderstood what you were suggesting.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #10,832 of 18,907
Hey @Whazzzup and any other Antipodes - or any other server/player owners to which this might apply.

After my recent (pleasant) surprise at the potential performance of the TT2/HMS/Antipodes DX combo - and which will respond to any and all upgrades to the rest of the system - I discovered something that takes my own system at least another notch higher...and refers basically to FLAC vs WAV recordings.

My Antipodes DX (gen 1) copies CDs to its SSD as uncompressed FLAC files, and is stated as the best quality option...and superb it truly is. However, after copying some hi-res WAV files over to it I always felt they could do even better. After noticing in ipeng player that they'd been converted to much lower bitrate FLAC files, I found in the server's Logitech Media Player settings/advanced/file type that WAV files had the FLAC streaming option enabled. So I disabled it (along with mp3) and enabled PCM (native). The leap in performance was unmissable...much greater depth, dynamics and stage spaciousness. And a bass I never thought the Empyreans capable of...quite outstanding.

So next I copied over some CD quality WAV music to compare with the Antipodes's FLAC internal recordings of the same material...and with very similar results, even though this time the FLAC bitrate was similar to WAV/PCM...???? Lastly in 'file type' I changed the FLAC file setting from flac to PCM...and blow me down with similar results once more, even though with file conversion 'on the fly'.

Conclusion...in my setup, performance from WAV recordings outshines FLAC every time, even when at similar bitrates. And when FLAC bitrates fall well below WAV/PCM, it's no contest at all. I personally have always believed WAV to have the edge, despite FLAC 'lossless' claims...to lower bits-per-second playback and expect no consequences at all does not compute with me I'm afraid! :wink: Plus...RW has optimised TT2 and m-scaler functioning for...PCM, WAV being the wrapper for these files of course, and so logic would dictate this being their best food no?!

NB... A word of caution however. At first the much more dynamic/deeper presentation threw me off balance somewhat...a little too much perhaps? It was quite a long while before I reminded myself of the need for brain burn-in as well as in all the rest of the system. But this time it took much longer than usual for the brain's quirky tendency to focus more intently on new/unexpected sounds and almost ignore others in the FR before regaining a correct balanced perception...(something often ignored/not realised by folks when assessing/judging performance - of any hi-fi gear). But thankfully, days of 'readapting' have confirmed that all the performance changes I mentioned have not been at the expense of the superb qualities I've covered recently, and have come to appreciate what a truly dynamic delivery can sound like...especially when it can be enjoyed at lower listening levels lol!
I notice that Audirvana streams all files as wav (converted on the fly) whether from your library or Tidal etc. Perhaps that is why I’ve always found it’s quality slightly better than roon. If I’m understanding your post correctly.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #10,833 of 18,907
Naim streamers have long been known to sound better with WAV files. That is what my Core is set to burn CD’s to. I have tried burning the same CD to FLAC and WAV years ago when I first bought a Naim Unitiqute 2, and yes, WAV did sound better, so I have stuck with that format ever since. You will notice that WAV files are larger in size, Naim says there is less processing, or work for their streamers to play WAV, thus the reason they sound better. Old news really, for anyone who has used Naim products.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #10,834 of 18,907
I love my DX gen3 ripper as is in roon. Almost wish I had bought a CD in the last 20 years

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #10,835 of 18,907
Thanks for that - it mirrors my findings from just this minute communicating with Chord on the matter. Their website wrongly states that TT1 has galvanic isolation on the HD USB input (they’re going to correct it), and it’s their theory that this isolation in the TT2 is the root cause of the change in behaviour from TT1 to TT2. It’s a ‘first world problem’ really, and it’s no big deal to reboot the OR whilst taking the TT2 out of standby (correct power-up sequence). Or I could just leave it all powered given the low component power dissipation. But thanks again for further confirming that my pre-owned TT2 is behaving normally.

Chord asked me yesterday about TT1 galvanic isolation on the HD USB, and I checked the schematics and it does have galvanic isolation - same circuit as TT2 and Dave.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #10,836 of 18,907
I notice that Audirvana streams all files as wav (converted on the fly) whether from your library or Tidal etc. Perhaps that is why I’ve always found it’s quality slightly better than roon. If I’m understanding your post correctly.

Yes indeed P...firstly, native WAV/PCM files undoubtedly give the best playback performance IMHO, but do take up much more room with their file size alas (but well worth it!). And a close second it would appear - from the findings I mentioned - are FLAC files then converted to WAV, even 'on the fly' (assuming a flac bitrate at least close to 1411 kbps CD quality)...especially when feeding our Chord equipment.

Naim streamers have long been known to sound better with WAV files. That is what my Core is set to burn CD’s to. I have tried burning the same CD to FLAC and WAV years ago when I first bought a Naim Unitiqute 2, and yes, WAV did sound better, so I have stuck with that format ever since. You will notice that WAV files are larger in size, Naim says there is less processing, or work for their streamers to play WAV, thus the reason they sound better. Old news really, for anyone who has used Naim products.

Yes N Q...I too liked the UnitiCore's ripping to WAV, and I'm now wishing my Antipodes did also lol! But as @Whazzzup says, it does a wonderful job ripping to FLAC (I presume gen3 does also?)...better even than my Naim to WAV. However, I can only imagine how the Antipodes would sound with internal WAV rips rather than WAV copies to it from 3rd party, or that change I mentioned in LMP's file type setting that converts FLAC to PCM on the fly....:wink: But I wouldn't change the New Zealander for anything now!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #10,837 of 18,907
This might be a M-Scaler question rather than a TT2 question...

I'm running an Auralic Aries G2 into the M-Scaler and then on to the TT2.

USB vs SPDIF... will both of these utilise a clock in the Chord equipment? If yes then is that in the M-Scaler or, as I presume, in the TT2?

The Aries G2 has galvanically isolated USB output.

I'm comparing USB (AudioQuest Carbon) against SPDIF (WAVE cable). Thus far I'm not hearing much difference.

Thoughts?

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #10,838 of 18,907
Hi,

I’ve just purchased a used TT2 (with the intention that it will replace my TT1).

I would just like to run an issue past you (as fellow owners) to see if it’s ‘normal behaviour’.

When either connecting power with the 15V 4A stock PSU to the TT2 from completely dead or when taking the TT2 out of Standby, on the first time I try to play music, I hear a loud crackling noise from the speakers/headphones (both channels) and the display cycles randomly through sample rates. When stopping playback (Roon and HQPe), strangely, the crackling noise can continue for a while. I find that a ‘hot recycle’ (disconnect/ reconnect) of the USB cable (either at the streamer or TT2 end) solves the problem – and the display then defaults to 768 until I begin playback of a file at 705kHz, say.

I haven’t tried a different USB cable yet, nor a lower sample rate, but I know that the cable works well with my TT1 and an RME ADI-2 FS DAC, and that the latter DAC works fine when sent 705 / 768 kHz PCM from my OpticalRendu.

Does the TT2 need to see a positive-going USB signal to sync correctly such that I need to depower the OpticalRendu before taking the TT2 out of Standby before rebooting the OoticalRendu? This has never been a requirement of TT1.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

It's just the USB handshake. Have your TT2 running before starting a media player. After waking PC from sleep: close down media player, and then restart media player.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #10,839 of 18,907
I noticed some talk about TT2 and iFi Groundhog recently.

I think the right plan is to use something like the groundhog. One that grounds to mains.

Prior to buying a Groundhog, I used to ground my TT2 to a central heating radiator. However it caused an issue. My DAB tuner which is connected to TT2 by coaxial (ground), would not power on with its power button. It would power on with the remote. However once powered on, pressing the power button to turn it off would not work. Pressing the power button would make it switch channels, to previous channel.

I guess the ground from my central heating was messing with the logic in the DAB tuner. Anyway once TT2 was grounded via groundhog, no more problem.

The reason I needed to ground TT2 was my Shure KSE1200 hummed faintly when connected to TT2. Touching the TT2 or KSE block, stopped the hum, but it was not ideal. The Shure KSE1200 also hummed the same when connected to Hugo 2 if H2 was plugged into the mains.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #10,840 of 18,907
I noticed some talk about TT2 and iFi Groundhog recently.

I think the right plan is to use something like the groundhog. One that grounds to mains.

I was looking at it too, but I find it ridiculous to pay 60 euro for that short cable adapter I will use from the set. Realistically some of us will also have an external amp connected to the TT2, and that provides the grounding.

@Rob Watts What is the technical reason for not having grounding in the TT2 via its power supply? I see many other amp/DACs without it, so I am sure there is a good reason. Is it impossible from a technical perspective when using an external power supply like the stock power cable/supply?

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #10,841 of 18,907
Chord asked me yesterday about TT1 galvanic isolation on the HD USB, and I checked the schematics and it does have galvanic isolation - same circuit as TT2 and Dave.
Thanks for checking, Rob. In fact, it was probably my query that they were chasing up.
So, the issue I’m encountering may be a trait of HQPlayer, as was stated a few posts ago. I will try Roon direct to TT2 and see if it resolves the issue.

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #10,842 of 18,907
I thought you were talking about them being stacked and connecting together without cables when stacked, which wouldn't make for a decent look when they were not stacked, unless I have misunderstood what you were suggesting.

No worries,

The Woo W33 connects this way although I haven't seen in person. If you separate the DAC from amp I'd think one would want the most discreet connection which wouldn't be a cable. Especially if the two components are to function exactly as a single unit.

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #10,843 of 18,907
It does look awesome, actually...E3CD4825-4B14-4AE6-B530-2C3A72B78422.jpeg
I do want to get and M. The connecting cables can cost $$$. I just read a comparo the other day w/three different cables and of course the big boys were perceived as better/best. Wave Storm Reference Dual data cables with Oyaide BNC connectors

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #10,844 of 18,907
I do want to get and M. The connecting cables can cost $$$. I just read a comparo the other day w/three different cables and of course the big boys were perceived as better/best. Wave Storm Reference Dual data cables with Oyaide BNC connectors

Of all my cable purchases, Wave cables have given me the best ROI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back