Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 25, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #8,431 of 18,897
TT2 strange behaviour last week -- without any warning, the volume started increasing rapidly until it was too loud to bear. Volume down on the remote would reduce it, then it immediately began to increase again. Weird. You could see the colours rapidly changing on the volume ball. After that, it worked okay for a couple of sessions then happened again. For the last two days it has not repeated.
Anyone else experience this problem?
This happens with my DAVE about five times per year (two days ago the last time). I don't have any remote control that could do this, it's DAVE's own decision. Sometimes downward, sometimes upward.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #8,432 of 18,897
I was going to try these, but now you have me scared. Are there not any off the shelf options I should try?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078NPZVC4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Those are speakon, not XLRs. Only two of the 3 XLR connections should be wired, either 1 and 3 (SE) or 2 and 3 (balanced, with greater output). There don’t seem to be reliable adapters readily available, but you can have the, made. Moon Audio made a blue dragon set for me for ~$120.

If you do find a set to try, please verify the connections with an ohm meter if they are not from a trusted source, like a known cable maker, and who knows the equipment you intend to use them on.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #8,433 of 18,897
Thanks. I’ve had my TT2 since it was released but have never tried speakers. I want to maintain TT2’s level of transparency, however I assumed I’d need to run from the xlr output to maximize power. The 705 s2’s sensitivity is rated at 88db. What would be the best way to hook up the speakers (which adapter should I choose etc?).
I have tried my Klipsch 96db rated speakers via XLR on low gain and kept getting an overheating warning onTT2. No issues with high gain. I suspect that they are a fair bit less sensitive than 96db but even so only high gain was enough juice. For headphones I prefer high gain with my LCD-4 and low with Layla CIEMs. It’s a very versatile machine and sounds amazing however to set it up tbh.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #8,434 of 18,897
Those are speakon, not XLRs. Only two of the 3 XLR connections should be wired, either 1 and 3 (SE) or 2 and 3 (balanced, with greater output). There don’t seem to be reliable adapters readily available, but you can have the, made. Moon Audio made a blue dragon set for me for ~$120.

If you do find a set to try, please verify the connections with an ohm meter if they are not from a trusted source, like a known cable maker, and who knows the equipment you intend to use them on.

I made my own adapters and have wired banana sockets to all three pins so I can be flexible about which ones I use. I mostly use the pin 1 and pin 2 connection into my 94dB speakers and haven’t had any issues at all.

F0576202-FE3F-4C5E-A330-36604FF5B4E3.jpeg

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #8,435 of 18,897

Thanks... Good call regarding Moon Audio. It doesn't look terribly difficult to make your own, but I'd rather have someone else do it and be done.

I made my own adapters and have wired banana sockets to all three pins so I can be flexible about which ones I use. I mostly use the pin 1 and pin 2 connection into my 94dB speakers and haven’t had any issues at all.

That looks like the ideal solution....

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #8,436 of 18,897
That looks like the ideal solution....

It is!!!

one can use Neutrik XLR but I used Furutech because it is easier to solder speaker sized cables.

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #8,438 of 18,897
I was lucky enough to try Nick’s adapters (en route to Ray-dude), and they are very nice and flexible for configuration. Are you selling those too, Nick?

No, it is just for private use and one or two friends.

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #8,439 of 18,897
Re the volume control issue: thanks everyone for the feedback. It's reassuring to know I am not alone. My dealer has suggested completely shutting off the power to the TT2 then reconnect. Have done that and will monitor.

In my situation, I don't think it is caused by the remote control itself. Has not occured since my first post so will keep an eye on things and report back here if any developments.

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #8,442 of 18,897
A while ago I was wondering about how to run my TT2, either with or without an amplifier.

My choices are:
1. Leave the TT2 driving speakers directly. From a musical perspective, that would be my preferred choice.

2. Upgrade my Rega Brio (2017) to a considerably better amplifier. I keep thinking about the Naim Supernait 3, and the Naim Nait XS3. (Other amplifiers I thought about are the Moon 240i, or the Lavardin ISx Reference. Too little reviews on the Lavardin though: plus no comparison with the new Naims.)

Using TT2 driving speakers directly is amazing. Music is better than I ever imagined I think. Or it's at least making me think that. Putting my Brio in the system is Great still, but quite a bit changes. I imagine either of the Naim amplifiers would be quite a lot better. Just can't decide on which amplifier, or if an amplifier at all.

One aspect that bothers me is something I read in one review of the Nait XS3. It mentioned that is doesn't match quantity of bass slam, compared with Supernait 3. I would feel a bit daft if I bought an XS3 and found it bass light. However it's an odd impression of the XS3. Other reviews say the new Nait XS3 is a big step up in bass over the Nait XS2.

Just going to have to audition aren't I? Wish I could have saved myself the exhausting trip though.

One last aspect I like about the Nait XS3 is the lower output power. It's 70W in 8ohms and 100W in 4ohms. My Brio is 50W 8ohms, and 73W 4ohms. That means the output of the Nait XS3 is closer to my Brio than the Supernait 3. Since I find my Brio still a touch loud when listening whisper quiet, I need a low power amplifier. I know with the TT2 being power adjustable on the line to the amplifier, that's cool. However it's not ideal to drop the power too much.

The main reason for wanting an amplifier is so I can swap between Qutest and TT2 easily. Qutest for daily use and gaming. TT2 for music. Plus TT2 direct driving speakers when I am in the mood for that. In the end I might be better off just leaving the TT2 on speakers. Just I love using Qutest for less important sound work. It gives my TT2 a rest, and I don't like leaving TT2 on all day.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #8,443 of 18,897
A while ago I was wondering about how to run my TT2, either with or without an amplifier.

My choices are:
1. Leave the TT2 driving speakers directly. From a musical perspective, that would be my preferred choice.

2. Upgrade my Rega Brio (2017) to a considerably better amplifier. I keep thinking about the Naim Supernait 3, and the Naim Nait XS3. (Other amplifiers I thought about are the Moon 240i, or the Lavardin ISx Reference. Too little reviews on the Lavardin though: plus no comparison with the new Naims.)

Using TT2 driving speakers directly is amazing. Music is better than I ever imagined I think. Or it's at least making me think that. Putting my Brio in the system is Great still, but quite a bit changes. I imagine either of the Naim amplifiers would be quite a lot better. Just can't decide on which amplifier, or if an amplifier at all.

One aspect that bothers me is something I read in one review of the Nait XS3. It mentioned that is doesn't match quantity of bass slam, compared with Supernait 3. I would feel a bit daft if I bought an XS3 and found it bass light. However it's an odd impression of the XS3. Other reviews say the new Nait XS3 is a big step up in bass over the Nait XS2.

Just going to have to audition aren't I? Wish I could have saved myself the exhausting trip though.

One last aspect I like about the Nait XS3 is the lower output power. It's 70W in 8ohms and 100W in 4ohms. My Brio is 50W 8ohms, and 73W 4ohms. That means the output of the Nait XS3 is closer to my Brio than the Supernait 3. Since I find my Brio still a touch loud when listening whisper quiet, I need a low power amplifier. I know with the TT2 being power adjustable on the line to the amplifier, that's cool. However it's not ideal to drop the power too much.

The main reason for wanting an amplifier is so I can swap between Qutest and TT2 easily. Qutest for daily use and gaming. TT2 for music. Plus TT2 direct driving speakers when I am in the mood for that. In the end I might be better off just leaving the TT2 on speakers. Just I love using Qutest for less important sound work. It gives my TT2 a rest, and I don't like leaving TT2 on all day.
Use tt2 directly into benchmark ahb2 power amp in mid or low gain setting. You won't need any other amp. Even the very best and expensive power amps can't match the refinement and transparency of benchmark ahb2.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #8,444 of 18,897
Use tt2 directly into benchmark ahb2 power amp in mid or low gain setting. You won't need any other amp. Even the very best and expensive power amps can't match the refinement and transparency of benchmark ahb2.

It would be too loud. Plus if I was using an amplifier, I would need an integrated set up, to switch between Qutest and TT2.

No disrespect to the unit though. Apparently their HA04 (headphone amplifier) I think is the class leader at the price.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #8,445 of 18,897

My choices are:

Greenbow
All the amps you are considering are integrated amps, have you considered just trying a straight up power amp? I have used my TT2 directly into my Anthem power amp, and it sounds really good. The Anthem amp I have is almost 20 years old though, so I had my dealer set aside a Belles reference 150Av2 for me to grab when I have the funds. I demoed the Belles at his home with his Blu2 connected to my TT2 driving the Belles on a few different pairs of speakers. It really was an improvement on driving the same speakers directly off the TT2, much better bass, and I could crank the volume way up without the amp struggling at all. Like you, I also worry a little about shortening the life of my TT2 by overworking it. The speakers I tried with the amp were Neat ultimatum MF5’s, Harbeth P3esr’s, and some obscure speaker he had there that day, that I can’t remember the name of. The path I am following is with an amp driving Harbeth speakers, and using the Mscaler/TT2 directly driving the amp. I really did not notice any loss in transparency using the amp, but my ears are 54 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back