Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 2, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #5,161 of 18,895
I downgraded from Dave to TT2 and it was one of the best audio gear decisions I’ve ever made. Sure, Dave was a noticeable amount more detailed, open, and transparent sounding, but I’m a tone weight guy and TT2 wins there. I don’t know if it’s TT2’s supercaps or maybe I’m hearing tiny distortions(audio lies)making things sound fuller, but I like it a lot more than Dave’s tonality. I do miss the massive holographic space the Dave projects, but TT2 isn’t that far behind. To me, and for my music and preference, sorry but Dave sounded too thin. Even through my meatiest sounding tubes it just wasn’t there. I really wanted to keep it for the holographics alone, but if a kick drum or bass guitar doesn’t sound like the real thing IMO no matter how hard you try, you gotta look elsewhere and maybe sacrifice with a downgrade. Dave is absolutely incredible, it’s just not for me.

Apr 3, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #5,163 of 18,895
The Hifiworld review i read said that they thought TT2 was analytical and lacking warmth.
With which headphones and/or in comparison to which other dac?

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #5,166 of 18,895
I think the reference to lacking warmth was DSD versus other formats. I find in my TT with a server DSD is better but max pcm does give a bit more oomph or throat to the tune. Im still pro DSD , but i spent 6 months on pcm so...

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #5,167 of 18,895
I think the reference to lacking warmth was DSD versus other formats. I find in my TT with a server DSD is better but max pcm does give a bit more oomph or throat to the tune. Im still pro DSD , but i spent 6 months on pcm so...

If I recall right, HiFi World said the Hugo 2 lacks warmth. Well without wanting to inflame those who think that anyway, I disagree.

I find the Hugo 2 just to be naturally warm. Like just right within the goldilocks form. It's not just with music that I feel this. Right now e.g. I am listening to a live stream on YouTube.

When I stop to actually listen to their voices, rather than listening to the conversation; voice are warm enough/right. There is a great representation of vocal textures; (without me sounding weird saying that). If the Hugo 2 was cold or dry, it would not be fun to listen to. I actually got past the point of even trying to analyse the Hugo 2 a long time ago. On the first night I got it, I felt it had just the right natural warmth. After about a month, I stepped back from it listening analytically too much. Hugo 2 never lets me down. … If I am ever not into my Hugo 2, it's because I am not in the mood for the music..

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #5,168 of 18,895
I agree with the above posts. The lack of warmth in the TT2 review seems to be surrounding DSD and lower resolution or flawed program material. Folks, if you are looking for a dac to make your mp3 collections sound better i would look elsewhere . Ill go ahead and say it...Its brutally honest about what you feed it. If it wasn't recorded mixed/mastered correctly it will show those flaws which happens to be one of the main reasons i like it. I can trust what its putting out through the monitors or headphones. No hype or fluff, just a hyper accurate rendering of the audio at hand. This may be a tradeoff for some who just want to lay back with a cognac after a long day and enjoy the music but some of us are after the clearest view possible from our non compressed cd and hi res collections. I will close with a good ol analogy..
You don't go into a high end Sushi restaurant if all you wanted was comfort food... Clarity and low distortion are the signature dish here.. Warmth can be had many other places.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #5,169 of 18,895
If I recall right, HiFi World said the Hugo 2 lacks warmth. Well without wanting to inflame those who think that anyway, I disagree.

I find the Hugo 2 just to be naturally warm. Like just right within the goldilocks form. It's not just music that I feel this. Right now e.g. I am listening to a live stream on YouTube.

When I stop to actually listen to their voices, rather than listening to the conversation; voice are warm enough/right. There is a great representation of vocal textures; (without me sounding weird saying that). If the Hugo 2 was cold or dry, it would not be fun to listen to. I actually got past the point of even trying to analyse the Hugo 2 a long time ago. On the first night I got it, I felt it had just the right natural warmth. Since then I have stepped back from it and listened analytically. Hugo 2 never lets me down. … If I am ever not into my Hugo 2, it's because I am not in the mood for the music..

I would say TT2 has a warm sound, and I can notice that on HD800S. I don’t know what Dave sounds like, but I love my TT2 and it’s a good bit warmer than Hugo 2.

One thing TT2 does not lack is warmth, it’s so warm, some folks have to use a fan to cool it down.

:)

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #5,170 of 18,895
One thing TT2 does not lack is warmth, it’s so warm, some folks have to use a fan to cool it down.

You are so sharp you will cut yourself!

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #5,172 of 18,895
I downgraded from Dave to TT2 and it was one of the best audio gear decisions I’ve ever made. Sure, Dave was a noticeable amount more detailed, open, and transparent sounding, but I’m a tone weight guy and TT2 wins there. I don’t know if it’s TT2’s supercaps or maybe I’m hearing tiny distortions(audio lies)making things sound fuller, but I like it a lot more than Dave’s tonality. I do miss the massive holographic space the Dave projects, but TT2 isn’t that far behind. To me, and for my music and preference, sorry but Dave sounded too thin. Even through my meatiest sounding tubes it just wasn’t there. I really wanted to keep it for the holographics alone, but if a kick drum or bass guitar doesn’t sound like the real thing IMO no matter how hard you try, you gotta look elsewhere and maybe sacrifice with a downgrade. Dave is absolutely incredible, it’s just not for me.
I agree absolutely. I "downgraded" from DAVE to a TT2 for exactly the same reasons. I know at least one other person who has done the same. I don't accept that DAVE is more "transparent". I don't believe there is any detail on a recording that I am missing because of the change. On the contrary, I am hearing more because the greater dynamics, weight and impact better convey the emotional content of the music. DAVE does sound "bigger", but the giant, inflated soundstage sounds oddly artificial to me. The TT2 presents a more natural sense of space.

I own the TT2, HMS, Qutest, Mojo, and Hugo 2. I have owned the DAVE, Blu 2, original Hugo, QuteHD and QBD76HDSD. So I am very familiar with the Chord sound, and the progression of their DACs over the years. I think the TT2 is currently the best DAC Chord makes.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #5,173 of 18,895
I agree with the above posts. The lack of warmth in the TT2 review seems to be surrounding DSD and lower resolution or flawed program material. Folks, if you are looking for a dac to make your mp3 collections sound better i would look elsewhere . Ill go ahead and say it...Its brutally honest about what you feed it. If it wasn't recorded mixed/mastered correctly it will show those flaws which happens to be one of the main reasons i like it. I can trust what its putting out through the monitors or headphones. No hype or fluff, just a hyper accurate rendering of the audio at hand. This may be a tradeoff for some who just want to lay back with a cognac after a long day and enjoy the music but some of us are after the clearest view possible from our non compressed cd and hi res collections. I will close with a good ol analogy..
You don't go into a high end Sushi restaurant if all you wanted was comfort food... Clarity and low distortion are the signature dish here.. Warmth can be had many other places.

Yeah, they talk about CD quality in that review. It reminded me of a CD that I have, that sounds different between the Mojo and the Hugo 2. The Very Best of Lang Lang.

On the Hugo 2, the differences of the recording is crystal clear. With it being a compilation, there are recordings from different venues, and quality. On the Mojo, it was not nearly as clear. In fact I wasn't aware of the different recording and venues. The differences may have been there, but I barely noticed it.

Going to the TT2 must be another clear step in that direction. Some CDs are going to sound very different. ….. By the way, it's not that I dislike older recordings; I never meant that. E.g. I have a two Shirley Bassey CDs, which are probably from the 70s or 80s. They sound great on the Hugo 2, even if they sound old. They Hugo 2 makes Shirley sound even better of course.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #5,174 of 18,895
I own the dave with the blu2 and have had a chance to listen to the tt2 extensively with the hugo2....the dave is better no doubt...i do not think in terms of DAC alone that there is any real discussion about that...with 98% of all HP's the dave drives them just fine but there are a few where the dave needs an amp...i know because i own 2 of them lol....i much prefer the dave but do regret needing the amp with a few hard to drive HPs!

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #5,175 of 18,895
I agree absolutely. I "downgraded" from DAVE to a TT2 for exactly the same reasons. I know at least one other person who has done the same. I don't accept that DAVE is more "transparent". I don't believe there is any detail on a recording that I am missing because of the change. On the contrary, I am hearing more because the greater dynamics, weight and impact better convey the emotional content of the music. DAVE does sound "bigger", but the giant, inflated soundstage sounds oddly artificial to me. The TT2 presents a more natural sense of space.

I own the TT2, HMS, Qutest, Mojo, and Hugo 2. I have owned the DAVE, Blu 2, original Hugo, QuteHD and QBD76HDSD. So I am very familiar with the Chord sound, and the progression of their DACs over the years. I think the TT2 is currently the best DAC Chord makes.

a tt2 is a much less expensive way to get a very high quality highly versatile dac.
It’s a good option, and I’m glad that the discussion has shifted slightly. it’s not that Dave is better, just different, but possibly more transparent, possibly not.
I just feel a bit sorry for people who have a brand new tt2, spend all their money, and people are basically saying, you’ll have to double your outlay if you want to chase Dave levels of ‘transparency’. (I’m not talking about myself btw, if I wanted a Dave I could buy one, I just think it’s due a refresh in the near future and will incorporate dx amp technology).
But still, I’m glad there’s more balance and nuance.
There is no Everest, sometimes hiking up smaller hills is actually a lot more fun, even if without prestige.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back