Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 6, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #5,191 of 18,907
If you are willing to get your soldering iron out then replacing the TT batteries is both cheap and easy on a diy basis. Forget any warranty with chord though if you go down that route.

As to replacing the batteries with super capacitors I have no idea except that I have seen anecdotal evidence that people have done just that with cars and they say it works.

Personally I would think that the reason why TT2 benefits so much from the supercaps is because it has a much higher power output compared to the TT and so the peak current demands are likely to be higher in the TT2 than the TT.

Let us know how you get on. We need pictures of course. Especially the one of you using the fire extinguisher in the event of a foul up. :scream:

I would love to let you know how it went, but I don’t own a TT.

I was merely pondering if whazzzups TT batteries could be replaced with Soopacaps. It would be cool if it could be done. Maybe thats why they got a 5 year warranty and us TT2 owners only got 3. :no_mouth:

It all about the soopacaps!

As for the fire extinguishers, I not that long ago let off a black bottled carbon dioxide out of date extinguisher and also a now banned except for airlines and datacentres and other speciality places, a halon one. It’s full of cfc’s that halon fire extinguisher, how bad am I ? you can blame global warming on me.

I wanted to keep the halon one, as if my electrical kit ever caught fire, using that to put it out would not cause any damage to my other electricals, which is cool.

Whose bad !

Michael Jackson, that’s who.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #5,192 of 18,907
I would love to let you know how it went, but I don’t own a TT.

I was merely pondering if whazzzups TT batteries could be replaced with Soopacaps. It would be cool if it could be done. Maybe thats why they got a 5 year warranty and us TT2 owners only got 3. :no_mouth:

It all about the soopacaps!

As for the fire extinguishers, I not that long ago let off a black bottled carbon dioxide out of date extinguisher and also a now banned except for airlines and datacentres and other speciality places, a halon one. It’s full of cfc’s that halon fire extinguisher, how bad am I ? you can blame global warming on me.

I wanted to keep the halon one, as if my electrical kit ever caught fire, using that to put it out would not cause any damage to my other electricals, which is cool.

Whose bad !

Michael Jackson, that’s who.

But the TT(1) already uses supercaps as well.

Apr 6, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #5,194 of 18,907
It does ?

Whats the supercaps in it used for ?

Providing power very quickly, for music transients.

Let me explain in more depth. I went to a presentation about super-capacitors a few weeks ago, and the presenters used this analogy:
  • Think of a battery as a large water tank, with a small diameter outlet pipe - the battery can store many hours worth of charge, but only release it slowly
  • Think of a super-capacitor as a small water tank, with a large diameter outlet pipe - the super-capacitor can store only a relatively small amount of charge, but then release it very quickly
  1. So the TT has the battery providing the base-load of charge/power, with the super-capacitors able to supplement the battery with near instantaneous charge/power, for fast music transients
  2. The TT2 has only the super-capacitors, which provide the instantaneous charge/power, for all the music but especially the fast music transients. However the super-capacitors can store only enough charge for 10 s of operation, so the TT2 needs to be continually mains powered to ensure that the super-capacitors, retain enough charge to operate the TT2.

Apr 6, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #5,195 of 18,907
Hey Mike, I’m aware of the differences between batteries and super caps. But I did not know TT had them both. I presume that TT can run on batteries only ? That would be a cool function if you ever wanted music outside or there was a powercut or a lack of a power socket.

However;

Now that I know that TT had both and TT2 only having one, I think I’d prefer the none battery TT, as that seems to be something that would need sending the unit away for the batteries to be replaced.

I’m just not a fan of having to send item’s like this back to have batteries fitted. Personally I think they should of made them user replaceable.

I was ‘ that close to buying a TT instead of a Hugo 2 last year. That was before we knew about TT2 in june.

Edit

Now that I think about it, the dual battery and super caps design seems to be weird, why not just have super caps only like in TT2, or only batteries like Hugo 2 ?

I suppose at the end of the day, aslong as it sounds good is all that matters.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #5,196 of 18,907
Hey Mike, I’m aware of the differences between batteries and super caps. But I did not know TT had them both. I presume that TT can run on batteries only ? That would be a cool function if you ever wanted music outside or there was a powercut or a lack of a power socket.

However;

Now that I know that TT had both and TT2 only having one, I think I’d prefer the none battery TT, as that seems to be something that would need sending the unit away for the batteries to be replaced.

I’m just not a fan of having to send item’s like this back to have batteries fitted. Personally I think they should of made them user replaceable.

I was ‘ that close to buying a TT instead of a Hugo 2 last year. That was before we knew about TT2 in june.

Edit

Now that I think about it, the dual battery and super caps design seems to be weird, why not just have super caps only like in TT2, or only batteries like Hugo 2 ? The Hugo, Mojo and Hugo 2, are designed to be mobile or transportable - so they need batteries plus their cases are probably too small to contain super-capacitors as well. The TT will have been designed 3 years before the TT2, so it is reasonable for the TT2 to benefit from any potential improvements identified by Rob or Chord.

I suppose at the end of the day, as long as it sounds good is all that matters.

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #5,197 of 18,907
in my opinion hugo TT has best combination, battery+supercapacitor(100.000 microfarad). hugo tt has 4 batteries but i don´t know if in series(more voltage)or parallel(more amperes). why you think is a weird design?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #5,198 of 18,907

Seriously Mike ?

Since it doesn’t look like my post has quoted you properly, on my ipad anyway. It just looks like I posted “Seriously Mike” and nothing else.

The text in red, I think we all know that the range of devices listed all have batteries, I’ve had 3 mojo’s, 2 poly’s and one Hugo 2.

Supercaps do come in small sizes and could probably be found or manufactured to ones specifications to fit in hugo and hugo 2’s case.

TT2 has obviously benefitted from the work done on the earlier models, if it hadn’t, I’d be surprised.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #5,200 of 18,907
I am serious.
Unfortunately I am not sure which part of my reply you are challenging.

For some reason I quoted you but it only posted my text, I have edited it to point out what I mean.

It was 1, obviously those devices you mentioned have batteries, 2, obviously TT2 has benefitted from earlier work and designs. 3, supercaps do come in small sizes. How much smaller I’m not to sure, but smaller than the ones in TT2

When I said seriously mike, what I meant was, what you wrote in red, basically everyone here already knows, yes, maybe some folk won’t, but the post was in reply to me.

It came across as if you were telling it to somebody who had just joined the forum and were unaware of the devices mentioned.

Apr 6, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #5,201 of 18,907
For some reason I quoted you but it only posted my text, I have edited it to point out what I mean.

It was 1, obviously those devices you mentioned have batteries, 2, obviously TT2 has benefitted from earlier work and designs. 3, supercaps do come in small sizes. How much smaller I’m not to sure, but smaller than the ones in TT2

When I said seriously mike, what I meant was, what you wrote in red, basically everyone here already knows, yes, maybe some folk won’t, but the post was in reply to me.

It came across as if you were telling it to somebody who had just joined the forum and were unaware of the devices mentioned.
Sorry.
I know that I was replying to your post, but the posts on all these forums can be read by a mixture of long time posters, plus some newbies, so I try and make my posts understandable by everyone.

Apr 6, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #5,202 of 18,907
Its cool Mike, I know you like to help. I just took it the wrong way.

Apr 6, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #5,203 of 18,907
Seriously Mike ?

Since it doesn’t look like my post has quoted you properly, on my ipad anyway. It just looks like I posted “Seriously Mike” and nothing else.

The text in red, I think we all know that the range of devices listed all have batteries, I’ve had 3 mojo’s, 2 poly’s and one Hugo 2.

Supercaps do come in small sizes and could probably be found or manufactured to ones specifications to fit in hugo and hugo 2’s case.

TT2 has obviously benefitted from the work done on the earlier models, if it hadn’t, I’d be surprised.
Or probably chord doesn't want any more problems with batteries on desktop products.
Battery is the best solution, totally independent from main power

Apr 6, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #5,204 of 18,907
Or probably chord doesn't want any more problems with batteries on desktop products.
Battery is the best solution, totally independent from main power

Yes battery powered devices are very good noise wise, and yes who wants the hassle of batteries in a desktop solution. But, I’m listening to TT2 and it sounds silent when I have my headphones plugged in and on but not playing anything. No mains noise at all. TT2 is very good in that respect.

Apr 6, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #5,205 of 18,907
Yes battery powered devices are very good noise wise, and yes who wants the hassle of batteries in a desktop solution. But, I’m listening to TT2 and it sounds silent when I have my headphones plugged in and on but not playing anything. No mains noise at all. TT2 is very good in that respect.
Supercaps is very clean power source from what i understand. Should be main reason why it have more body than Dave...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back