Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 22, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #5,027 of 18,895
I wouldn't recommend using an amp as you will lose sound quality, just a cheap fan from Amazon gently blowing over the TT 2 that's all you need

How’s the silver TT2 doing, does the amazon fan keep it cool ? My TT2 is pretty cool temp wise and I wanted a fan to heat it up so that it’s burnt in when I listen to it.

I was going to buy a silver TT2, but I heard someone mention that the noise shaper is broken in them and is below 5hz, which is nuts, I would never accept something below 5hz, even my TV beats that, it’s 60hz.

When I heard that, I decided I would not buy an open box demo model TT2 in a different colour because I couldn’t wait for a black one.

It’s good to hear the fan works to keep it cool, it would be a pity if you blew It up because it got too hot.

Cheers

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #5,029 of 18,895
I wouldn't recommend using an amp as you will lose sound quality, just a cheap fan from Amazon gently blowing over the TT 2 that's all you need

But equally, for those of us who prefer to keep our current speakers and wish to play loud for long periods in larger rooms it is not the end of the world to use an amplifier with TT2. It will still sound very good. I did just that and I do the same with Dave. No amount of fanning will dissipate the excess heat from TT2 if it is driven hard for long periods and to be fair it is not built for that. It is just a matter of horses for courses.

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #5,030 of 18,895
But equally, for those of us who prefer to keep our current speakers and wish to play loud for long periods in larger rooms it is not the end of the world to use an amplifier with TT2. It will still sound very good. I did just that and I do the same with Dave. No amount of fanning will dissipate the excess heat from TT2 if it is driven hard for long periods and to be fair it is not built for that. It is just a matter of horses for courses.

I see you use power amps. That is probably a lot better than an integrated though?
I’m just guessing that the differences between Qutest and TT2 isn’t as obvious if connecting the TT2 in DAC mode to an integrated amp.
Some transparency will be lost but perhaps also the non-distorted HF’s of the TT2?

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #5,031 of 18,895

Driving efficient speakers (94.5 dB) SE even up to +6 on high gain (depends on the source, but lots of pre loudness wars rock and pop need this), my unit does not seem to get hot. Maybe summer will be different. Maybe balanced, if I can find the right wiring or adapter to make it work (and my unit is not in fact defective there, although XLR seems to work fine for balanced out on HP), then maybe it will get hotter.

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #5,032 of 18,895
Driving efficient speakers (94.5 dB) SE even up to +6 on high gain (depends on the source, but lots of pre loudness wars rock and pop need this), my unit does not seem to get hot. Maybe summer will be different. Maybe balanced, if I can find the right wiring or adapter to make it work (and my unit is not in fact defective there, although XLR seems to work fine for balanced out on HP), then maybe it will get hotter.
The wiring options for XLR cables have been debated/posted several times

1. "I use my TT2 for driving B and W 803D3 in single ended mode - that would be pin 1 (gnd) and pin 2 (hot) on the XLR."
  2. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-185#post-14613282

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #5,033 of 18,895
I see you use power amps. That is probably a lot better than an integrated though?
I’m just guessing that the differences between Qutest and TT2 isn’t as obvious if connecting the TT2 in DAC mode to an integrated amp.
Some transparency will be lost but perhaps also the non-distorted HF’s of the TT2?

I do think that pre amps can be the cause of much of the loss of transparency (I have tried many) and that is why I use Dave (and TT2 when I had it) direct into the power amps or active speakers and use the DAC for volume control. To me, Dave with a suitable power amp was more transparent and was better in my set up in my room than TT2 direct to my 89db Spendor SP200 speakers with no power amp. And that is why I was just saying that I don't think it is the end of the world to use power amps if it achieves what you want to achieve. I do fully accept though that with suitable speakers TT2 can give stunning sounds but equally a lightning bolt will not come down from on high to smite you down if you venture to use an amp with TT2!

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #5,034 of 18,895
The wiring options for XLR cables have been debated/posted several times

1. "I use my TT2 for driving B and W 803D3 in single ended mode - that would be pin 1 (gnd) and pin 2 (hot) on the XLR."
  2. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-185#post-14613282
Yes, and your second link eventually advises pin 2 hot and 3 cold and 1 unconnected for balanced output. But, as I’ve posted, I get low left channel volume and distortion from the right channel using a set of adapters. I’m going to try another set that has been shown to work. If that also gives distortion, then perhaps my unit is faulty. Although, the 4 pin to XLR adapter provides excellent results with headphones, so go figure (not GoFigure).

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #5,035 of 18,895
With the fan mine runs cool at high volume and it's great

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #5,037 of 18,895
I do think that pre amps can be the cause of much of the loss of transparency (I have tried many) and that is why I use Dave (and TT2 when I had it) direct into the power amps or active speakers and use the DAC for volume control. To me, Dave with a suitable power amp was more transparent and was better in my set up in my room than TT2 direct to my 89db Spendor SP200 speakers with no power amp. And that is why I was just saying that I don't think it is the end of the world to use power amps if it achieves what you want to achieve. I do fully accept though that with suitable speakers TT2 can give stunning sounds but equally a lightning bolt will not come down from on high to smite you down if you venture to use an amp with TT2!
If you can't afford a Dave like most people can't then using TT 2 direct is the best option, I'm sure when Dave 2 comes out it will be like the TT 2 driving speakers direct now that would be something else

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #5,038 of 18,895
Talking of sound quality I changed my laptop for one with same spec as Roon nucleus and it's like the biggest upgrade in my life for 350 quid, in hi-fi terms to get that jump in sound quality it would be 10 grand at least.Qobuz sounds amazing off line BTW.
One design flaw with the hugo TT 2 is no heat dissipation

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #5,039 of 18,895

Interesting. I agree that it's better to find the right balance in your system so that it sounds good
with all kinds of music and at different volume levels than going only for maximum transparency.
Driving direct or using TT2 as DAC and pre seems like the best options at the moment.
Or buy a M Scaler and wait for the DX amp.

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #5,040 of 18,895
Talking of sound quality I changed my laptop for one with same spec as Roon nucleus and it's like the biggest upgrade in my life for 350 quid, in hi-fi terms to get that jump in sound quality it would be 10 grand at least.Qobuz sounds amazing off line BTW.
One design flaw with the hugo TT 2 is no heat dissipation

The TT2 ability to drive some speakers is undoubted but I still think that the fact that it does not have specific speaker outlets (4mm banana/binding posts) sort of gives the game away that the masses are not exactly encouraged to plug speakers into the TT2 with gay abandon. The TT2 does have heat dissipation because its chassis acts as a heat sink and also it has sophisticated heat detection and protection circuits but I still think it’s primary function is an extremely good dac (especially when used with the MScaler) and very powerful headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back