Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 23, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #5,041 of 18,905
Where do you live? Come round for a demo but wash your hands before touching my remotes..and wipe your feet on the way out

Thanks. I live in Stockholm, SE. No plans on going to UK anytime soon but if that changes I'd really like to hear that system.
I always carry a bottle of hand sanitiser so no microorganisms can survive on my hands.
I found these little buggers also reflect and absorb sound in a very unpredictable way sometimes ruining the whole listening experience.
Finding the right sanitiser is crucial :wink:

Mar 23, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #5,042 of 18,905
It has been several months, since the day, when I received my Hugo TT2. I promised you guys, that as former Dave owner I will post some impressions then, so here I am.

Please take in mind, that English is not my native language and I'm also not the best, in describing little difference in sound nuances, so my review/comparison will be a little bit different, but hopefully, still informative and helpful for many of you.

Build quality and Design
I purchased Hugo TT2 in silver finish and I have to say, that it looks much better in person, like on the photos. In my opinion, this is exactly the opposite scenario, like in case of Dave. It's a serious piece of hi-fi gear, even when some people can feel different, based on first impressions from advertisment pictures. Regarding build quality, I have to say, that it has been improved, when comparing to Dave imho. The finish of the Hugo TT2's surface is sublime. There are no visible screws, whole surface is so smooth. I don't know what kind of coating or painting process has been used, but it's much more appealing than Dave's surface finish. I like glass opening so much, the way how LED light represents the sample rate is pretty cool. Every person, not familiar with Chord's products, is asking why it is different every time and what does it represent. I have to admit, that with Dave I didn't pay so much attention to sample rate of currently played track, even when it has been represented on the screen of my music player, but now, with every next album I'm always rotating my head to the side, to check, what colour is shining through the glass of the Hugo TT2. One more cool feature, it has On/Off button. I know, it's essential, but only way how to turn on/off Dave is via red button on the remote control.

Ergonomics
This is only category, in which Hugo TT2 doesn't shine in my opinion. Personally, I had to reach out for manual several times in the first two weeks, to figure it out all options and the way how to change them. I was used to logic of controls from Dave, which was different, due to Dave's quite huge display and more buttons. It's not something, what would ruin your listening experience of course. I'm the kind of listener, who will figure it out best settings and leave it like that for the whole time. One more observation, there is no DSD, PCM mode anymore, so you don't have to change between these two mods, during the listening sessions. It's very useful, especially when you are listening to shuffle mode, and your collection consists of many DSD titles. Of course, Dave played DSD in PCM mode as well and vice versa, but I knew that it wasn't ideal and that is something that bothered me.

Performance and Sound
OK, that's the part, which matter the most. Dave is wonderful DAC and if you are asking, if Hugo TT2 is better DAC, my answer is simple, no it isn't. I have to add, that Hugo TT2 is very close in terms of DAC performance, but it's not at the level of Dave in terms of DAC performance. Dave is an older product, Hugo TT2 may have better design of PCB, more optimized software, but Dave has more powerful FPGA, which will be beaten only by Dave2, when it will be released. On the other hand, Hugo TT2 gained some muscles and it can deliver significantly more power to the headphones than Dave.
I really like how Hugo TT2 performs. Sound is tighter and a little bit darker in my opinion. It is not as resolving as Dave, you wouldn't be able to hear so many details, as you would hear on Dave, but it's applicable only to some very well recorded songs, during the critical listening session. To be honest, I like my Audeze LCD-4 powered by Hugo TT2 more, than I used to like them when listening straight from Dave's headphone output. I'm not sure, if it's due to more power, or different (tighter) sound signature. Maybe both of these facts play some role.

Summary/Verdict
If I should be honest, there wasn't even one single day, when I missed my Dave. Yes, Dave is better DAC, but Hugo TT2 is simply better DAC/headphone amp combo. It's so versatile, so powerful, that you wouldn't be able to find any better combo around $5K MSRP. My advice would be, if you already have high-end headphone amp, or you need DAC to feed your speaker setup as well (you need standalone DAC), go for DAVE. If you are headphone enthusiast and you own power hungry planar magnetic headphones, or you want elegant all in one solution, or maybe your budget for a headphone amp and DAC is around $5K, go for Hugo TT2. Rob Watts is a genius and his each next product is better and better, blowing everybody's mind again and again, in terms of what's possible. I'm very happy that I pulled a trigger, replaced Dave with all need for expensive power cable, interconnects, along with Moon 430HA amp for one "magic box" called Chord Hugo TT2.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #5,043 of 18,905
Talking of sound quality I changed my laptop for one with same spec as Roon nucleus and it's like the biggest upgrade in my life for 350 quid, in hi-fi terms to get that jump in sound quality it would be 10 grand at least.Qobuz sounds amazing off line BTW.
One design flaw with the hugo TT 2 is no heat dissipation

Heat is not a problem with TT2, the case acts as one big heatsink, and since it’s aluminum, it dissipates heat faster than copper.

The only design flaw with Hugo TT 2 is wrongly wiring up speakers to the xlr ports, so I’ve been told.

When I got my TT2, I was buzzing big time, were you the same ?

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #5,044 of 18,905
It has been several months, since the day, when I received my Hugo TT2. I promised you guys, that as former Dave owner I will post some impressions then, so here I am.

Please take in mind, that English is not my native language and I'm also not the best, in describing little difference in sound nuances, so my review/comparison will be a little bit different, but hopefully, still informative and helpful for many of you.

Build quality and Design
I purchased Hugo TT2 in silver finish and I have to say, that it looks much better in person, like on the photos. In my opinion, this is exactly the opposite scenario, like in case of Dave. It's a serious piece of hi-fi gear, even when some people can feel different, based on first impressions from advertisment pictures. Regarding build quality, I have to say, that it has been improved, when comparing to Dave imho. The finish of the Hugo TT2's surface is sublime. There are no visible screws, whole surface is so smooth. I don't know what kind of coating or painting process has been used, but it's much more appealing than Dave's surface finish. I like glass opening so much, the way how LED light represents the sample rate is pretty cool. Every person, not familiar with Chord's products, is asking why it is different every time and what does it represent. I have to admit, that with Dave I didn't pay so much attention to sample rate of currently played track, even when it has been represented on the screen of my music player, but now, with every next album I'm always rotating my head to the side, to check, what colour is shining through the glass of the Hugo TT2. One more cool feature, it has On/Off button. I know, it's essential, but only way how to turn on/off Dave is via red button on the remote control.

Ergonomics
This is only category, in which Hugo TT2 doesn't shine in my opinion. Personally, I had to reach out for manual several times in the first two weeks, to figure it out all options and the way how to change them. I was used to logic of controls from Dave, which was different, due to Dave's quite huge display and more buttons. It's not something, what would ruin your listening experience of course. I'm the kind of listener, who will figure it out best settings and leave it like that for the whole time. One more observation, there is no DSD, PCM mode anymore, so you don't have to change between these two mods, during the listening sessions. It's very useful, especially when you are listening to shuffle mode, and your collection consists of many DSD titles. Of course, Dave played DSD in PCM mode as well and vice versa, but I knew that it wasn't ideal and that is something that bothered me.

Performance and Sound
OK, that's the part, which matter the most. Dave is wonderful DAC and if you are asking, if Hugo TT2 is better DAC, my answer is simple, no it isn't. I have to add, that Hugo TT2 is very close in terms of DAC performance, but it's not at the level of Dave in terms of DAC performance. Dave is an older product, Hugo TT2 may have better design of PCB, more optimized software, but Dave has more powerful FPGA, which will be beaten only by Dave2, when it will be released. On the other hand, Hugo TT2 gained some muscles and it can deliver significantly more power to the headphones than Dave.
I really like how Hugo TT2 performs. Sound is tighter and a little bit darker in my opinion. It is not as resolving as Dave, you wouldn't be able to hear so many details, as you would hear on Dave, but it's applicable only to some very well recorded songs, during the critical listening session. To be honest, I like my Audeze LCD-4 powered by Hugo TT2 more, than I used to like them when listening straight from Dave's headphone output. I'm not sure, if it's due to more power, or different (tighter) sound signature. Maybe both of these facts play some role.

Summary/Verdict
If I should be honest, there wasn't even one single day, when I missed my Dave. Yes, Dave is better DAC, but Hugo TT2 is simply better DAC/headphone amp combo. It's so versatile, so powerful, that you wouldn't be able to find any better combo around $5K MSRP. My advice would be, if you already have high-end headphone amp, or you need DAC to feed your speaker setup as well (you need standalone DAC), go for DAVE. If you are headphone enthusiast and you own power hungry planar magnetic headphones, or you want elegant all in one solution, or maybe your budget for a headphone amp and DAC is around $5K, go for Hugo TT2. Rob Watts is a genius and his each next product is better and better, blowing everybody's mind again and again, in terms of what's possible. I'm very happy that I pulled a trigger, replaced Dave with all need for expensive power cable, interconnects, along with Moon 430HA amp for one "magic box" called Chord Hugo TT2.

Thanks for your thoughts, it will be quite a while before i get my TT2 but im very much looking forward to it.

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #5,047 of 18,905
@Rob Watts

For the nearly 6 months I've owned the TT2 and M-Scaler pairing, I have had an astonishing sonic experience over that time with the use of my Focal Utopia, Sony Z1R and Senn HD650's. I'd like to thank you for producing this world-class system backed by incredible measured performance.

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #5,048 of 18,905
Heat is not a problem with TT2, the case acts as one big heatsink, and since it’s aluminum, it dissipates heat faster than copper.

The only design flaw with Hugo TT 2 is wrongly wiring up speakers to the xlr ports, so I’ve been told.

Can I ask? What's with the sarcastic comments, I've only just signed up to head fi and your like a red rag to a bull. I don't know you and vice versa so what is your problem ?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #5,049 of 18,905

Of course it's a problem because it heats up pretty quick when driving fairly easy speakers to drive, look at the insides of a T Toby and look at the effort they went too to keep the amp cool

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #5,050 of 18,905
The TT2 ability to drive some speakers is undoubted but I still think that the fact that it does not have specific speaker outlets (4mm banana/binding posts) sort of gives the game away that the masses are not exactly encouraged to plug speakers into the TT2 with gay abandon. The TT2 does have heat dissipation because its chassis acts as a heat sink and also it has sophisticated heat detection and protection circuits but I still think it’s primary function is an extremely good dac (especially when used with the MScaler) and very powerful headphone amplifier.
Hence why you bought it yes? Because why would anyone own two Dave's and would want to buy a TT 2

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #5,051 of 18,905
Can I ask? What's with the sarcastic comments, I've only just signed up to head fi and your like a red rag to a bull. I don't know you and vice versa so what is your problem ?

Of course it's a problem because it heats up pretty quick when driving fairly easy speakers to drive, look at the insides of a T Toby and look at the effort they went too to keep the amp cool

She canna take it no more captain, the noise shaper is 5hz and falling!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #5,054 of 18,905
It's a mad world ,I've got the TT 2 and M scaler but I'm totally buzzing with the mojo, the mojo case and the v moda headphones, makes me wonder. ..
Aye, mojo is good, but on a clear night; I can see Saturn with my tt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back