Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 21, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #5,011 of 18,905
When you say “better than 16 bit accuracy”, exactly how much better ? would it guarantee a perfect reconstruction of 24 bit tracks ? also and I’m looking into the future with this one, but would it also perfectly reconstruct a track that was 32bit ?

Would increasing the taps from 1 to 2 million with the sole intention to accurately reconstruct 24bit tracks, would that really be a distinct audible difference compared to using 1 million taps ?
Each extra bit requires a doubling of the number of taps, so I think rob posted that 24bits would require him to code 256 Mscaler. 32 bits would require 256 * 256 MScaler.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #5,012 of 18,905
The 'better than 16bit accuracy' has to do with the output to your ears, not the source files.

Ah, I see, I don’t really read the technical posts as it’s a subject that does not interest me in the slightest, listening to music yes, reading powerpoint slides and posts that start going into the detail of how and why x does y and z is the outcome. Nope, which is strange, but barely anything interests me nowadays, so it’s not really strange.

This is how far I go when it comes to the above subject, I pick up the remote, push the power button and then select the input on the other remote, then push play. Thats all I want and need to know.

@Rob Watts no need to reply to my ill informed post above and to rub it in that I was What wrong :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #5,013 of 18,905
Each extra bit requires a doubling of the number of taps, so I think rob posted that 24bits would require him to code 256 Mscaler. 32 bits would require 256 * 256 MScaler.

Maybe one day I will force myself to take an interest in just how it all works, but to be honest, good painkillers kinda make my mastermind ( confirmed ) brain all mushy, and, my short term memory is lucky if I retain something I was just told 5 minutes before.

What were we speaking about again ?

:)

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #5,014 of 18,905
I have the tt2 and hms combo and although it may not be as transparent as dave, in other aspects it beats dave’s ass, but dave owners won’t admit it or can accept the fact that for £7500 rrp, TT2 and HMS combined laughs at Dave and tells him to **** and to go spend another £3500 or £8500 if he wants to sound better.

Fact!

I’m prepared for the deluge of dave owners posts and their insistence that it’s not true.

/inbound immune
Ah but better it does sound FACT!:L3000:

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #5,015 of 18,905
«Better than 16 bit accuracy» in this context means that as a result of the «WTA reconstruction filter» transient reproduction is perfect down to a bit depth of slightly more than 16 bit – this from the DAC point of view, disregarding transient accuracy on the recording. So the «16 bits» here don't address the dynamic range, which entirely depends on the source file.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #5,016 of 18,905
I promised a couple of people who pm’d me that I would write up some comments on the Hugo TT 2 that I was among the first to receive. It’s taken a little longer than I expected but here it is

First, some context. I listen exclusively to headphones, mostly to Focal Utopia with Prion4 cable but also to HE1000v2 (also with Prion4) and LCD-4. I listen mainly to the various forms of classical, jazz and acoustic music. In striving for the best sound I can get within my means my priority is clean detail and then getting as near to authoritative natural tones as I can without significantly compromising on detail.

My full system is set out in my signature but I thought it would be useful to most of you if in comparing the Hugo TT 2 to my DAVE (with and without the M Scaler) I kept things simple, so I used my AK380 DAP (running off battery) connected via optical as the source. DAVE, Hugo TT 2 and M Scaler all used the supplied bnc cables, power cables and power supplies. I also used the supplied cables with each of the headphones. Everything was plugged into a Shunyata Venom UK6, which in turn was connected to the wall socket with a Shunyata Alpha HC cable.

The Hugo TT 2 is a very fine standalone dac/headphone amp. It concedes some detail (still very good detail), transparency and depth to the DAVE but offers more weight, a more natural tone and generally lends greater authority to music playing through my headphones.

Using the TT 2’s low gain setting, which I assume to be roughly equivalent to that of the DAVE’s output (Rob?), music was already more natural sounding, warmer and a little more authoritative than with the DAVE. But switching to high gain increased weight and authority even further, and with little or no sacrifice. It did this with all three headphones, even the relatively easy to drive Utopia. Only rarely did I prefer low gain to high gain, and only when I felt a track would benefit from slightly more prominent detail and air. I would expect most who have a DAVE and feel they need a dedicated headphone amp to properly drive their headphones would not feel that way with a Hugo TT 2.

The M Scaler elevated the TT 2 in the same way it does the DAVE - more presence, realism and smoothness - but the differences between DAVE and TT 2 were still there. With TT 2 on high gain, I was almost out of my seat imagining myself playing all the instruments on the jam-like ‘Blues for Los Angeles’ from Bill Frissell’s Gone, Just like a train album. The saxophone on ‘Forever …’ from Andy Sheppard’s album Romaria was simply haunting in contrast with the double bass. The brass sections in part 2 of Malcolm Arnold’s second symphony (with Richard Hickox and LSO on Chandos) were dynamic, clean and soaring. There was a believable weight and sole to Sol Gabetta’s cello playing in Elgar’s cello concerto. Piano playing on numerous classical and jazz tracks had believable leading edge weight. Antonio Forcione's latin jazz guitar playing on his live album was suitably weighty, tight and dynamic.

It will be a matter of personal taste but I felt the Utopia and HE1000v2 were particularly good pairings with the TT 2, especially the Utopia, which benefitted from the extra warmth and body. The LCD-4, which I am not getting on that well with at the moment, sounded a little too warm with relatively low levels of detail, and there was still that prominent upper-mid/lower-top issue that can sound quite off-putting with (for example) classical music and saxophone/trumpet-led jazz, if less so with rock.

Frankly, the Hugo TT 2 was good enough to cause me to think carefully about what DAC I preferred. Ultimately, and given my preference for detail, it still has to be the DAVE (just), which I feel I can add (and am already adding) some of the qualities of the TT 2 to with improvements to other areas of my system. But if the TT 2 had come out first and I owned it along with the M Scaler, I am not sure I would then have felt the need to upgrade to the DAVE.

IMHO, those thinking of buying a Hugo TT 2, either as a stand-alone dac, or with the M scaler, can do so with confidence. Having owned a Hugo 2 for a few months until trading in earlier this year, I can say that the Hugo TT 2 kicks that into the long grass for over-ear headphone use.

Thank you! I have the TT2 and Utopia, upgraded from H2. Very happy that I did.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #5,018 of 18,905
Has anyone (Bueller, anyone) successfully connected passive speakers with normal red and black binding posts to the XLR output of TT2 in balanced (18w into 8 ohm, as quoted in specs)? I cannot seem to get this to work. Into 50 ohm headphones, no problem, but I get distortion and generally not good results into efficient 8 ohm speakers. Chord support has referred me to Engineering saying they will do some testing, but with no feedback for 2 weeks. Maybe it’s not possible after all? But want to know if anyone here has had success, and how??

Thanks!

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #5,019 of 18,905
Has anyone (Bueller, anyone) successfully connected passive speakers with normal red and black binding posts to the XLR output of TT2 in balanced (18w into 8 ohm, as quoted in specs)? I cannot seem to get this to work. Into 50 ohm headphones, no problem, but I get distortion and generally not good results into efficient 8 ohm speakers. Chord support has referred me to Engineering saying they will do some testing, but with no feedback for 2 weeks. Maybe it’s not possible after all? But want to know if anyone here has had success, and how??

Thanks!

Yes I have done it successfully. If you are in the uk I could lend you the xlr to speaker banana that I used because I no longer use it.

Mar 22, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #5,021 of 18,905
jarnopp,

"When there is no answer to a given question, the questioner may highlight the fact that he has had or is expecting no reply by saying, "Beuller". This is normally an internet forum occurrence, but can also take place in everyday conversation".:deadhorse::deadhorse:

e.g.

Anybody know where the forum mods went?

Beuller?
:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #5,022 of 18,905
jarnopp,

"When there is no answer to a given question, the questioner may highlight the fact that he has had or is expecting no reply by saying, "Beuller". This is normally an internet forum occurrence, but can also take place in everyday conversation".:deadhorse::deadhorse:

e.g.

Anybody know where the forum mods went?

Beuller?
:deadhorse:
Is that originating from the film Ferris Beullers day off?

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #5,023 of 18,905
Is that originating from the film Ferris Beullers day off?

Why that film is so “acclaimed” is a mystery, it’s a pile of schiit.

I can think of much better movies about teenagers going awry, Scum for one, and goodfella’s.

The movie started when he was a teenager, those 5 minutes of the movie count as a teenage movie :)

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #5,024 of 18,905
I don't think so Mike......LOL

This album is outstanding on roon had to share. Stevie Wonder no.1's. Go for the album with no.1 on the front.

320x0w.jpg

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #5,025 of 18,905

Users who are viewing this thread

Back