Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 1, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #17,387 of 19,008
If I wish to use my TT2 to drive my Focal Sopra 3 floor-standing speakers, am I better off drivimg them directly with the TT2 or sending the signal through the amp that now drives them from my other sources? Sopra 3 sensitivity is listed as 91.5 dB/2.83 V/m, and TT2 output power is listed as 7.3 W unbalanced, 18 W balanced. Chord Customer Service recommends the additional amp, but Rob Watts has discouraged the addition of an amp between TT2 and speaker.

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #17,388 of 19,008
If I wish to use my TT2 to drive my Focal Sopra 3 floor-standing speakers, am I better off drivimg them directly with the TT2 or sending the signal through the amp that now drives them from my other sources? Sopra 3 sensitivity is listed as 91.5 dB/2.83 V/m, and TT2 output power is listed as 7.3 W unbalanced, 18 W balanced. Chord Customer Service recommends the additional amp, but Rob Watts has discouraged the addition of an amp between TT2 and speaker.

Definitely use an amp of some form (IMO.)

When the TT2 was originally released there were a few recommendations (including from Chord and Rob Watts) to use the TT2 directly to power speakers, but over time and multiple people having issues, overheating, etc... that recommendation seemed to get rescinded.

Also, even at the beginning when it was recommended, it was really only recommended for easy to drive speakers, and whilst the Sopra 3 aren't the hardest to drive speakers, I wouldn't say they are easy to drive.

Whatever you might lose in transparency, will be made up for in other areas, IMO and all that.

Dec 1, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #17,389 of 19,008
As stated in the official Chord presentation, the TT2 is a DAC, a digital preamplifier and a headphone amplifier.
that is what it is, therefore driving speakers for a medium sized listening room (8x4mts) imo will require that the speakers be driven by a dedicated Amplifier, which receives the signal already processed by the DAC (TT2) obviously

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #17,392 of 19,008
If your going to do that you will need to add TToby or another power amplifier.
@Spawn300Z the problem - at least for me - with TToby is internal fan which seems like a huge contradiction for audiophile grade product, especially consider that even Stereophile mag noticed their test sample had noisy fan. I'm thinking about adding something along the lines of AHB2 for maximum transparency if I would like to stay with solid state amp for TT2. Secondly I'd really love to have speaker amp that can be stacked with TT2 at least, not to mention stacking M-Scaler somewhere in between but I do not want to open this can of worms again :wink:

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #17,393 of 19,008
@Spawn300Z the problem - at least for me - with TToby is internal fan which seems like a huge contradiction for audiophile grade product, especially consider that even Stereophile mag noticed their test sample had noisy fan. I'm thinking about adding something along the lines of AHB2 for maximum transparency if I would like to stay with solid state amp for TT2. Secondly I'd really love to have speaker amp that can be stacked with TT2 at least, not to mention stacking M-Scaler somewhere in between but I do not want to open this can of worms again :wink:

I really like Bel Canto Amplifiers. They have a small form factor and sound amazing. I use them in my 2-Channel rig and Home Theater setups. I even used one to drive my Susvara until i got the Riviera AIC-10. Extremely quite and cool to touch.

Dec 1, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #17,394 of 19,008
It's definitely possible to drive speakers with the TT2.
I drove my 93dB Tannoys with no issues and several others in this forum have reported driving various speaker models.
Rob drives his B&W 803's directly.

It depends on what SPL, and character etc, you want out of your system.
I now use power amp mono blocks and use TT2 as DAC / preamp and it's better for my needs.
I might try direct driving again though just to see what it sounds like since it has been over a year since I tried it
and several things have changed in my system since then.

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #17,395 of 19,008
What about driving powered speakers directly with TT2 in DAC mode ?

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #17,398 of 19,008
I drive powered speakers but only in preamp mode, you can do DAC mode but would need a preamp in in your chain to control volume
Thanks. The powered speakers have a volume knob and a remote, so perhaps preamp mode isn’t needed ? I am assuming preamp mode on the TT2 is the ‘amp’ mode.

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #17,399 of 19,008
How would you compare the sq of the 2Go/2Yu with and without Farad PSU? Aries is certainly a top product, but too expensive for me. In addition, I have a Windows PC and an Android tablet
The 2Go/2Yu with the Farad PSU is good, but the Farad-supplied DC / Micro USB cable plug doesn't fit the 2Go's micro USB socket well, this along with the cables "sprouting" out in three directions make the 2Go/2Yu rather awkward to position. Without the Farad PS it is about the same as a well-configured RPi/All Digi One Sig.
For a small-form-factor solution I would go with a Sonore Ultra-Rendu, unless I wanted the portability of a 2Go/2Yu and/or 2Go/Hugo2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back