Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #17,356 of 18,907
I had mine setup XLRed to A90 amp.
Recently, I had to shift stuff around and ended up taking the A90 amp off the chain (which meant switching to single ended cables for the HPs)

I have always had issues with high gains on most devices and prefer low gain (for me the sound becomes less spacious with less separation in high gain mode)

The Heddphone requires some oomph to drive it but I found the SE out more than adequate for them… so no longer have an external amp in the chain now… anx run all headphones in low gain through the TT2.
Exactly what I also feel with low gains. High gain seems too brighten(not clear) up but low gain makes it feel like more headroom, and more controlled at same levels of comfort.

The soundstage sounds “tall” with high gain. With low its more wide. May be placebo, but I keep it on the low

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #17,357 of 18,907
So with all this shuffling around, I am having to rejig the setup. Please see the diagram below.
Query :
Drive the powered speakers through TT2 XLR to speaker RCA, or drive the WA7 FF2 via XLR to RCA ? (The remaining device gets the RCA out )
Or just swap the RCAs out when needed between the speakers and the WA7 FF2 ?

I am also thinking of trying out the TT2 rear XLR out to headphones. Anyone have their headphones plugged that way ? Pros and cons ?

0CA96488-9278-4622-AC64-C416B062C9A4.jpeg

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #17,358 of 18,907
I am also thinking of trying out the TT2 rear XLR out to headphones. Anyone have their headphones plugged that way ? Pros and cons ?
Yes, I've got a 2 x 3-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR adapter. Use it with my Hedds. For all my other cans, don't need that power, and don't find any significant different vs front panel 1/4 inch jacks.

There are folks who report sonic differences between 1/4 inch headphone out and XLR out, and it seems like a pretty good split of preferences for one vs the other.

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #17,359 of 18,907
Yes, I've got a 2 x 3-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR adapter. Use it with my Hedds. For all my other cans, don't need that power, and don't find any significant different vs front panel 1/4 inch jacks.

There are folks who report sonic differences between 1/4 inch headphone out and XLR out, and it seems like a pretty good split of preferences for one vs the other.
Bingo !. Thanks

Nov 24, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #17,361 of 18,907
I have the opportunity to test a tt2 today. I‘m feeding by usb and from a Nuprime CD-T 10, which is able to upsample. Should i (and can i) feed upsampled? Or 44/16?
Second question: is the tt2 Roon-Ready?
No and yes.

Nov 24, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #17,362 of 18,907
I have the opportunity to test a tt2 today. I‘m feeding by usb and from a Nuprime CD-T 10, which is able to upsample. Should i (and can i) feed upsampled? Or 44/16?
Second question: is the tt2 Roon-Ready?
To elaborate and clarify a bit to what @Kentajalli said, 1) you should always try to feed a bit perfect, original sample rate signal to Chord DACs. 2) TT2, as a DaAC, is “Roon Tested” which means it works with Roon and is simple to set up. “Roon Ready” applies to endpoints that work with Roon natively.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #17,364 of 18,907
To elaborate and clarify a bit to what @Kentajalli said, 1) you should always try to feed a bit perfect, original sample rate signal to Chord DACs. 2) TT2, as a DaAC, is “Roon Tested” which means it works with Roon and is simple to set up. “Roon Ready” applies to endpoints that work with Roon natively.
What happens if the files are a mix of sample rates ?

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #17,367 of 18,907
I had mine setup XLRed to A90 amp.
Recently, I had to shift stuff around and ended up taking the A90 amp off the chain (which meant switching to single ended cables for the HPs)

I have always had issues with high gains on most devices and prefer low gain (for me the sound becomes less spacious with less separation in high gain mode)

The Heddphone requires some oomph to drive it but I found the SE out more than adequate for them… so no longer have an external amp in the chain now… anx run all headphones in low gain through the TT2.
I use both just TT2/Mscaler or TT2/Mscaler with Ferrum OOR/Hypsos different presentations. but i agree, low gain on the TT2 seems more spacious less in your face (aggressive). On high gain you have more bass punch, more treble, all is more forward.. stage seems smaller... i prefer Low gain with an external amp or without!

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #17,369 of 18,907
In what dB-range is tt2 at it‘s best? Low Gain -15 dB is where i like to listen (quite loud), but i could achieve a different value since my Power Amplifier has Input Regulators.
It’s at its best at every volume, just set it as is convenient for you. Some people hear minute differences between low gain and high gain but that’s all

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #17,370 of 18,907
In what dB-range is tt2 at it‘s best? Low Gain -15 dB is where i like to listen (quite loud), but i could achieve a different value since my Power Amplifier has Input Regulators.
Amir @ ASR posted measurements of the TT2 and found distortion decreases with volume (power).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back