Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 26, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #17,371 of 18,991
After some listening with Susvara on SE port

I think Softube saturationknob vst(in Foobar2000) really gives the feeling/compensates for amp “weakness”

In short it feels soundstage is bigger, feels out the cans more. Im impressed.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #17,372 of 18,991
But in a good speaker system the impact,punch, clarity, focus and refinement of tt2 is instantly evident. I myself with hd650 could not discern much difference with or without m Scaler in case of tt2.
It was the same with me. When i listened with AKG K812 first, i recognized nearly no difference to my good existing devices (SPL Phonitor and Director). But with the Speakers - AudioPhysic Midex - the progress was obvious. Why is this so?

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #17,373 of 18,991
Please advise on a suitable streamer for TT2. I will be switching from H2 to TT2 and would like advice from more experience people. My chain PC-Roon-Tidal>Niagara 1200>H2/2GO>Feliks Euforia AE. I'm thinking about using my 2GO and assigning 2YU, but I'm worried about the SQ. Other candidates are the Innuos Zen 3mk and the Lumin U2 mini. I will be using Roon+Tidal. Would there be a significant SQ difference using the 2Go/2Yu versus the Zen Mk3 and U1 mini? I don't care about features, but about the best SQ. I will have to blind shop in my country.

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #17,374 of 18,991
Please advise on a suitable streamer for TT2. I will be switching from H2 to TT2 and would like advice from more experience people. My chain PC-Roon-Tidal>Niagara 1200>H2/2GO>Feliks Euforia AE. I'm thinking about using my 2GO and assigning 2YU, but I'm worried about the SQ. Other candidates are the Innuos Zen 3mk and the Lumin U2 mini. I will be using Roon+Tidal. Would there be a significant SQ difference using the 2Go/2Yu versus the Zen Mk3 and U1 mini? I don't care about features, but about the best SQ. I will have to blind shop in my country.
@Rins IMHO Chord is a vare poor manufacture of streamers. Go with Lumia U1 min or U2 mini and you will never go back to Poly or 2Go/2Yu. From Lumin you can either connect using USB or optical. Optical will give you best isolation but has lower limit in freq. rates. However from my experience TT2 sound wise "dislikes" any upsampling solution unless it is M-Scaler. You can connect M-Scaler using optical too BTW from Lumin.

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #17,376 of 18,991
Thank you for the recommendation. Although I am satisfied with 2GO. I believe in better SQ with Lumin U1, U2.
@Rins you are welcome. IMHO it is not about just SQ but also about joy of use. Lumin provides great experience and you can focus on music listening. Chord products are tricky to setup and always have some kind of issues and you always need 3rd party app. Secondly "sandwich" type architecture of Poly/Mojo(2) and 2Go/2Yu is always some kind of concern for me, while I must admit that in case of Poly/Mojo2 I do not think it downgrades SQ in audible way for me. YMMV.

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #17,377 of 18,991
I think you should go for a DDC that has streamer built in. Auralic Aries G1
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.879425/post-17175141

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #17,378 of 18,991
I think you should go for a DDC that has streamer built in. Auralic Aries G1
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.879425/post-17175141
I have been using a Auralic Aries G1 with the TT2 and I’m completely happy with the results.
I use optical from the G1.
The lightning DS app from Auralic works perfectly.
No crashes bugs nothing.
I compared the Lightning DS to ROON and found I preferred Lightning DS.
Simple set up of streamer and the TT2.
Perfect as long as you own an Apple device for control.
Auralic doesn’t support android as far I know.

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #17,380 of 18,991
PSU upgrade argument for TT2:

Ok I did not know I was going to say this about TT2, because it does come with a cheap plasticy generic looking desktop power supply….but could a possibly make a change in my power/chain, and make a difference?

To my surprise something happened, the dull/dryness of the TT2 went away(not even warmed up)…trust me its dull/dry after objectivily trying headamps out of its XLR.

I did not like the iFi powerstation on its own, but connecting a Furutech Flux50(authentic) to the powerstation…emphasized everything I was missing from the powerstation. Its like the flux50 + powerstation, is the perfect mastering of every single track I hear. Clean holographic, the depth of every elements is visual.

This made me think and now I completely disagree with people saying that PSU does not matter when it comes to TT2.

So now I am in search for the perfect psu. The max power usage of the TT2 is 30 watts, which means the already included psu provides the double(4A x 15V=60W)

This made me confident enough to be interested in the iFi Elite 15V(3.5A x 15V=52.5W)

Anybody here using the iFi Elite 15V/3.5A on TT2 and can share experience?

Attachments

• 53607CF9-A665-4F54-8289-B60A3D2F8DE4.jpeg
    53607CF9-A665-4F54-8289-B60A3D2F8DE4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • E2AC06E0-2724-4739-B943-D31D133357C0.jpeg
    E2AC06E0-2724-4739-B943-D31D133357C0.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #17,381 of 18,991
I would highly recommend building your own streamer with a raspberry pi 4 and allo digione or pi2aes, load moode audio and you’re done. I don’t believe you can beat the audio quality but if you’re hell bent on spending cash because you have money to burn there’s no shortage of expensive options that look and perform great - try Lumin or Auralic

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #17,382 of 18,991
The advantage of diy apart from cost is that these Audio companies don’t know software. With moode, volumio, Roon you have software developers that know how to integrate with old fashioned audio equipment with a foundational understanding of how software integrates with modern hardware for sound quality and the latest features.

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #17,384 of 18,991
Ok. this is freaking me out.

I can hear the music playing faintly directly from the TT2 unit (Dac mode) (no speakers/headphones attached to TT2)

Is this normal ? I never encountered this phenomenon before !

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #17,385 of 18,991
I have been using a Auralic Aries G1 with the TT2 and I’m completely happy with the results.
I use optical from the G1.
The lightning DS app from Auralic works perfectly.
No crashes bugs nothing.
I compared the Lightning DS to ROON and found I preferred Lightning DS.
Simple set up of streamer and the TT2.
Perfect as long as you own an Apple device for control.
Auralic doesn’t support android as far I know.
I am very pleased with my Auralic Aries G2.1 feeeding the TT2 over SPDIF (RCA to BNC). Using Studio Connections Black Star SPDIF.

I have tried various USB cables between Aries and TT2, but find the SPDIF (a good one) less tiring than USB. I use mild upscaling |(x4 or x 2, depending on source material) in the Aries, and either the "Balanced" or "Smooth" filte on the Aries. Usually Filter 3 or 4 on the TT2. I am not convinced by the MScaler since it needs lots of accessories (Power supply, Wave or similar cables, and distance from the system) to perform well.

I have used RPi/Allo, Sonore OpticalRendu, naim NDX2 and DCS Network Bridge in this system over the last few years and 'eventually' got to the Aries G2.1; the DCS Nb also worked well with TT2 (and Dave, better connection due to AES) but it's SPDIF output is known not be as good as it's AES/SBU output. The new Aries G1.1 is probably a good option, but I haven't heard one.

The 2Go/2Yu (even with an external Farad PSU) that I had does not quite get to the same level as the DCS or Aries 2.1 (and I wished it had), I still have my 2Go for portable use with my Hugo2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back