Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 20, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,712 of 18,897
You got nothing to worry about think cad dollars, sheesh. Glad I got tt at launch on a Boxing Day sale 20% off when cad dollar was almost at par...

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #1,714 of 18,897
I would suggest that you get on the phone with a Chord dealer and discuss pricing with them.
We can complain about it all we want on the forum, but the reality is that pricing is set by the distributor/importer and retailer.

Yes I know. I have the delimma of buying in the UK and importing through customs myself. I just need to find out the tax and duty. There's no VAT for foreigners.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,715 of 18,897
If I'm doing this calculation right for duty and fees the difference is far less than $1,600 however if I add the price of my ticket it exceeds that difference but I was already going.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,716 of 18,897
If I'm doing this calculation right for duty and fees the difference is far less than $1,600 however if I add the price of my ticket it exceeds that difference but I was already going.

Don’t forget to explore with the uk dealer what the return procedure would be in the unlikely event if a fault. ie would you be posting it back to the uk dealer? Chord kit is reliable but just from the postings on Head-Fi it does occasionally need repair or replacement.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #1,717 of 18,897
Can you feed an android phone directly into the TT? I'm just wondering if TT 2 can since it just came out, because I'll have two connections coming back home Paris and JFK and I'd love to listen in flight since its 10 hours and A/C is at seat.

I know, I know a Hugo 2 would be better but this is first and last time on plane...

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #1,718 of 18,897
Can you feed an android phone directly into the TT? I'm just wondering if TT 2 can since it just came out, because I'll have two connections coming back home Paris and JFK and I'd love to listen in flight since its 10 hours and A/C is at seat.

I know, I know a Hugo 2 would be better but this is first and last time on plane...

I don't see why not. USB to micro USB cable coming from the TT/TT 2 fed into an adapter that connects to your phone.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #1,719 of 18,897
Hi Rob Watts, after reading everything there is out there at the moment for TT2, it seems that the Crossfeed Modes are only available for the headphone outputs. Are they available for the XLR outputs too? It would be nice to tinker with this facility when I have my electrostatic headphone rig connected.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #1,721 of 18,897
I also can confirm that the TT runs cool as a cucumber. One of the advantages of battery operation is isolation from mains nasties such as mains spikes, fluctuations in voltage etc. I suspect that this, in addition to the high resolution Rob Watts DAC, is responsible for the very 'natural' sound of the TT. I once heard a high end battery operated DNM preamp many years ago which I recall as having a similarly 'natural' sound i.e lacking any significant electronic edge.
I certainly wouldn't put you off looking for a second hand one - I've had mine since they came out and am very happy with it.
The only thing to bear in mind is that at some point the battery will need replacing. I have no idea how long it is designed to last for and what it would cost to replace. Can anybody shed any light on this?
I heard the TT2 and M Scaler at CanJam London in July and was very impressed by the increase in resolution. So I will be looking to demo them when they are both available. So one reason for going for the TT2 is that you would be able to use the M Scaler with it. The TT does not have the right connections.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #1,722 of 18,897
A bit unusual to post a reply to ones own post but I thought this info may be of some interest.
As I haven't had any replies regarding my question of how long is the battery life of the TT is and how much it would cost to repair I contacted Chord by their website; on battery life I was told this: 'Battery failure in the TT is extremely rare- we've changed very few of them so we work on the principle of five years plus'. However they refused to give ANY indication of how much it would cost to replace the battery even though I asked them twice. I have to say I find this a) astonishing, that they wont provide this information to a customer who has purchased this product and b) frightening, as I can only assume it is likely to be very expensive indeed.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,723 of 18,897
A bit unusual to post a reply to ones own post but I thought this info may be of some interest.
As I haven't had any replies regarding my question of how long is the battery life of the TT is and how much it would cost to repair I contacted Chord by their website; on battery life I was told this: 'Battery failure in the TT is extremely rare- we've changed very few of them so we work on the principle of five years plus'. However they refused to give ANY indication of how much it would cost to replace the battery even though I asked them twice. I have to say I find this a) astonishing, that they wont provide this information to a customer who has purchased this product and b) frightening, as I can only assume it is likely to be very expensive indeed.
For most chord products, Chord themselves do not perform the battery replacement, it is performed by service centres, dealers or DIY (DIY the mojo battery is straightforward, because the battery cable is plug-in).
So the best that Chord can quote is the shipped price of the battery, then the service centre charges what it wants on top of that.
As an example of the variation of costs for the Mojo:
  • Some dealers perform the battery replacement free of charge, so overall approx $50 for the battery
  • Some service centres have been reported as asking $150 overall
  • Some service centres have been reported as asking $350 overall
Chord are not being disrespectful to you, by not quoting a price. They do not know what the overall price would be, because it is so service centre dependent.
If as Chord state, very few TT batteries have been replaced, then there is very little historical data that they can use, to predict a price for you.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,724 of 18,897

They, possibly like me, might wonder why you want to know this if you have a fully functioning unit and which does not need repair. Possibly also they might consider that they would need to see a malfunctioning unit first before quoting to see if it was just the batteries or if anything else might need replacing or inspecting.

However, as far as I know the TT uses the same batteries as Hugo 1 and Audio Sanctuary offer a replacement battery service for the H1 for £135.37p which is certainly not frightening (I think it is very reasonable in fact).

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-hugo-version-1-replacement-battery-service.html

Hope that helps.

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,725 of 18,897
For most chord products, Chord themselves do not perform the battery replacement, it is performed by service centres, dealers or DIY (DIY the mojo battery is straightforward, because the battery cable is plug-in).
So the best that Chord can quote is the shipped price of the battery, then the service centre charges what it wants on top of that.
As an example of the variation of costs for the Mojo:
  • Some dealers perform the battery replacement free of charge, so overall approx $50 for the battery
  • Some service centres have been reported as asking $150 overall
  • Some service centres have been reported as asking $350 overall
Chord are not being disrespectful to you, by not quoting a price. They do not know what the overall price would be, because it is so service centre dependent.
If as Chord state, very few TT batteries have been replaced, then there is very little historical data that they can use, to predict a price for you.
Chord did not indicate to me that they farm out battery replacement. I was under the impression that in the UK they do the work themselves. Secondly they must know how much the batteries cost as they buy them to fit to new units in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back