Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 22, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #1,726 of 18,905
They, possibly like me, might wonder why you want to know this if you have a fully functioning unit and which does not need repair. Possibly also they might consider that they would need to see a malfunctioning unit first before quoting to see if it was just the batteries or if anything else might need replacing or inspecting.

However, as far as I know the TT uses the same batteries as Hugo 1 and Audio Sanctuary offer a replacement battery service for the H1 for £135.37p which is certainly not frightening (I think it is very reasonable in fact).

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/chord-hugo-version-1-replacement-battery-service.html

Hope that helps.
They know why I was asking about battery life and replacement cost as I told them in my email: my unit is over 3 years old and I want to make a decision on whether it is going to be economical to maintain it long term or purchase the new TT2, which I might do anyway for all the reasons people have been discussing in the thread. I also mentioned the Audio Sanctuary price for Hugo battery replacement: 'I see that Audio Sanctuary are offering a battery preplacement service for the Hugo 1 at less than £150. The battery in the TT is supposed to be twice the size so does that mean it would cost £300? Or would it be £500? £1000? more? ' I really don't see why it is so difficult to answer a simple and not unreasonable question. Really I should have thought of all this before purchase. All I can say is Caveat Emptor to anyone who is thinking about purchasing one of the remaining units or a second hand unit.

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,727 of 18,905
Chord did not indicate to me that they farm out battery replacement. I was under the impression that in the UK they do the work themselves. Secondly they must know how much the batteries cost as they buy them to fit to new units in the first place.
Given that you do not include your location in your profile, do you expect other posters to use telepathy, to know that you are based in the UK?
My response is still valid, because it is quite likely that most Chord customers do not live in the UK.

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,728 of 18,905
They know why I was asking about battery life and replacement cost as I told them in my email: my unit is over 3 years old and I want to make a decision on whether it is going to be economical to maintain it long term or purchase the new TT2, which I might do anyway for all the reasons people have been discussing in the thread. I also mentioned the Audio Sanctuary price for Hugo battery replacement: 'I see that Audio Sanctuary are offering a battery preplacement service for the Hugo 1 at less than £150. The battery in the TT is supposed to be twice the size so does that mean it would cost £300? Or would it be £500? £1000? more? ' I really don't see why it is so difficult to answer a simple and not unreasonable question. Really I should have thought of all this before purchase. All I can say is Caveat Emptor to anyone who is thinking about purchasing one of the remaining units or a second hand unit.

This is really much simpler than you are making out. The TT has double the battery capacity of the Hugo 1 because it literally has twice as many batteries ie 4 instead of two. Anyone in the UK can buy these batteries for less than £10 each. I doubt that it would take any techie more than 1 hour to replace them. I would have thought the labour cost for replacing four instead of two for Audio Sanctuary would be almost the same. So, you could do it yourself for say £40 all in, get it done by a local techie for maybe £100 all in or probably less than £200 by somewhere like Audio Sanctuary.

This ought to be more than enough info for you to decide whether to keep your TT or not. To pursue it further especially with a sense of outrage attached would seem unreasonable to me.

As far as I am aware these are the batteries.

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 14.18.20.png

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,729 of 18,905
This is really much simpler than you are making out. The TT has double the battery capacity of the Hugo 1 because it literally has twice as many batteries ie 4 instead of two. Anyone in the UK can buy these batteries for less than £10 each. I doubt that it would take any techie more than 1 hour to replace them. I would have thought the labour cost for replacing four instead of two for Audio Sanctuary would be almost the same. So, you could do it yourself for say £40 all in, get it done by a local techie for maybe £100 all in or probably less than £200 by somewhere like Audio Sanctuary.

This ought to be more than enough info for you to decide whether to keep your TT or not. To pursue it further especially with a sense of outrage attached would seem unreasonable to me.

As far as I am aware these are the batteries.

Ok, thanks for that clarification. Shame that Chord's response couldn't have been similarly helpful - that is what I find so annoying.

Sep 26, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #1,731 of 18,905
Any release date on the hugo TT 2?

Update from the USA distributor:

https://www.bluebirdmusic.com/news/hugo-tt-2-etude-and-m-scaler-announced-by-chord.html

Based on our information at this time, we estimate M Scaler may be available late-October and Hugo TT2 roughly 30 days later so mid-to-late-November. All products are available in black or silver finish. There will be a special authorization for dealers on these products and the products will be sold only through specially authorized dealers. We expect to begin authorizing dealers first week of October. We are not accepting any pre-orders at this time.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #1,736 of 18,905
TT 2 starting to trickle through, or so I was told by Chord rep at Festival of Sound show today.

Hopefully this will allow for a final price to be set in US. I pray its reasonable.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,739 of 18,905
The hugo2 plus mscaler is above TT2. 1million taps vs 98 thousand. That was a major deciding factor for me especially as TT2/Mscaler is beyond my means and i run non difficult to drive headphone types.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,740 of 18,905
Well, I own Qutest so if TT 2 comes in at unreasonable price I can see getting another headphone amp (with a remote) and planning on getting mSCaler either in US or from UK when I visit. Oh, I still don't know what trade-in value of the Qutest is vs. sale

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back