Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #1,741 of 18,907
I'm all for the hugo TT 2,get the best dac you can afford and get the m scaler after.I'm not chasing the m scaler even when I get a job lol, wanna sit down with my hugo TT 2 and really appreciate what I've got,that includes the Mrs my house everything, think I took too many things for granted when plenty of money was coming in every month

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #1,742 of 18,907
The Hugo 2 and Hugo TT 2 both use a 10-element pulse array design, so I think the main difference between the two just as a DAC are the number of taps, and the M Scaler has over 10x as many as the Hugo 2. This is why people are choosing the Hugo 2 + M Scaler over the TT 2, the former is better as a DAC.

Though I'm still leaning towards selling my Hugo 2 and getting the TT 2, since I'll get an M Scaler next year anyway and I plan to play around with some power hungry planars so I'll want the TT 2's amp for that.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,743 of 18,907
The Hugo 2 and Hugo TT 2 both use a 10-element pulse array design, so I think the main difference between the two just as a DAC are the number of taps, and the M Scaler has over 10x as many as the Hugo 2. This is why people are choosing the Hugo 2 + M Scaler over the TT 2, the former is better as a DAC.

Though I'm still leaning towards selling my Hugo 2 and getting the TT 2, since I'll get an M Scaler next year anyway and I plan to play around with some power hungry planars so I'll want the TT 2's amp for that.
Mate I hear ya loud and clear

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,744 of 18,907
Id just like to chime in here on TT2 vs ch2. I was going to list the advantages of TT2 from milled bloc design etc... but im tired. This came up with hugo and TT as well, TT was/is clearly better experience as a desk top versus the portable. Im sure of one thing, the same again again with TT2. Now, unless the whole stage of sq improvements are shrinking as models upgrade, the differences become less audible, then one could safely say hugo good enough. But i doubt it. TT man all the way.

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,745 of 18,907
Everyone is saying, the M-Scaler and Hugo 2 may be the way to go, compared to a Hugo TT 2.

However the Hugo TT 2 has supercaps which provide energy for demanding peaks. (That gives it one advantage in the H2 MSL vs HTT2, shoot-out.) .. A fuller rounder sound, which would convey over to a TT2 M-Scaler option.

(EDIT (I forgot this part): The Hugo 2 can supply extra power for current loads in music. As of now, I do not know if the Hugo 2 battery can equal the power peak demands. As well as compared with the TT 2 that is.)

To some people it make sense to buy the Hugo TT 2 first, and then maybe an M-Scaler later. Also for some, a mains driven product is more preferable. .. I know the Hugo 2 can work in desktop mode, however some folk prefer just a straight desktop/hifi DAC.

(I certainly allow my Hugo 2 to run off batteries quite often, just to keep it all working right. RE the issues some folk had with Mojo. Now Chord advise unplug power sometimes from Mojo as a desktop DAC. All good right.)

The case for buying a TT 2 as I see it.

• Adding an M-Scaler to a TT 2 (rather than Hugo 2), will probably still be worth the price difference to some.
  • Secondly the M-Scaler may be moved about the house. The Hugo TT 2 will be a better stand-alone DAC that Hugo 2, which no-one would suggest otherwise.
  • However to expand on my last point, the Hugo TT 2 will in prediction, be stunning. I personally find the Hugo 2 knocks my brains out. The TT 2 promises to be unbelievable by any standard other than DAVE or M-Scaler. (Or two other non-mentioned DACs.)
  • Hugo TT 2 will go louder than Hugo 2 for driving speakers directly. Meaning also that the Hugo 2 will in most cases need an amplifier and cables in the chain for speakers.
I know the Hugo 2 doesn't compare to M-Scaler. However the Hugo 2 to me alone is beyond what I hoped for, coming from a (beautiful) Mojo. ...... People talk about the M-Scaler being more at one, simply much better, micro-details, better instrument tone, etc. To me, that's how the Hugo 2 sounds, (even with modest equipment). As much as I know the M-Scaler will be all that and more again. I also understand why anyone would buy the Hugo TT 2, either with or without the M-Scaler.

My objective is to get some better equipment working with my Hugo 2. Considering how highly I already think of the Hugo 2, I still have lots more to come from it. ....... (I have had my Hugo 2 almost a year now, so I am not talking 'sell it by zealot'.)

However, sometimes upgrading other equipment is more a case of having to wait. Like KEF have released a speaker called the R3 which may well work on my desktop. (To replace my Dynaudio Emit M10.) https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/kef-r3

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #1,747 of 18,907
It will be nice if we could have on this thread a list of loudspeakers that will work well with the TT2 connected directly, on the first page, for everyone that want to buy a particular model or want to experience, getting the sound they are after.

That could just be a general list of recommended highly efficient loudspeakers, which would indeed be a very good list to have. It's a common question that comes up.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-efficient-speakers.107933/
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/high-efficiency-loudspeakers

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,749 of 18,907
How nice would it be if we can power the TT 2 with a car battery? Is it in any way possible? Also what portable music players are you guys going to use as transport?
Why would you? Tt or tt2 comes with its own psu. The source of power is kinda irrelevant. You know my music server source for tt, it’s in my sig.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,751 of 18,907
I'm so so glad I part ex my stuff for the hugo TT 2,I've got it then and when I'm sorted I can get the m scaler,I think personally I'm gonna be blown away with just the hugo TT 2 as for months and months now I've been listening to my oppo 205 or my x box x you tube

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,753 of 18,907
Got some updated info from Bluebird, ETA for the Hugo TT 2 is expected for December.

USA pricing is finalized at $5795.

Do people think this is a good price? If so why?

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,754 of 18,907
No I don’t. But cad dollar was strongerback then, but picked up tt at Boxing Day sale at launch for 4800 cad. Tt2 looks like 7500 or 50% of Dave. At launch tt was 25%30% the price of Dave. I’m glad I got mine, starting to feel like 80’s again with inflation.

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,755 of 18,907
No I don’t. But cad dollar was strongerback then, but picked up tt at Boxing Day sale at launch for 4800 cad. Tt2 looks like 7500 or 50% of Dave. At launch tt was 25%30% the price of Dave. I’m glad I got mine, starting to feel like 80’s again with inflation.

I wonder how much they'll give me on trade for the Qutest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back