Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 23, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #16,801 of 18,535
Nice, I'll check.
I have owned a number of EMM Labs DACs and the XDS1 integrated CD player in the past. IMHO the sound does not compare with my current digital setup. Dave, Opto DX, and Mscaler. The EMM Labs analogue volume control also lacked transparency. The problem with both EMM Labs, and Playback Designs is the conversion from PCM to DSD. DSD always sounded too smooth, slow and lacked bass depth and drive in my experience. (I also have experience of the DCS Scarlatti stack upsampling to DSD. One thing I did like about EMM Labs was the standard ST digital optical connections. Hopefully Rob will incorporate these or something similar in the Choral Mscaler and Ultimate DAC. I now have without doubt by far the best digital playback ever in my system with my tweaked Dave and Mscaler. I am looking forward to getting the Choral Mscaler and Ultimate DAC.

Feb 23, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #16,803 of 18,535
Playback converts to 16x DSD in 2 steps and they uses a windowed function for one of the conversions. The reconstruction filter at the end of the chain should be a simple LPF. You are thinking about minimum phase filter specifically.

MScaler also uses a windowed function in the digital filter. Except Playback is not charging you for a separate box for that step 1 of the conversion.

you dont need an mscaler to get a windowed sinc function from chord, all of the dacs do this, the mscaler just uses a larger window

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #16,804 of 18,535
you dont need an mscaler to get a windowed sinc function from chord, all of the dacs do this, the mscaler just uses a larger window
True
I once did a test and fed Dave's DX out to Qutest dual in, and i got a 705/768k upsampled signal in Qutest.

In essence Dave acted as a 164k taps scaler

20220522_205446.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #16,805 of 18,535
True
I once did a test and fed Dave's DX out to Qutest dual in, and i got a 705/768k upsampled signal in Qutest.

In essence Dave acted as a 164k taps scaler

I recently learned that you can actually connect up two DAVEs like that for even better sound although it doesn't makes sense to do that versus running an M Scaler :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #16,806 of 18,535
I recently learned that you can actually connect up two DAVEs like that for even better sound although it doesn't makes sense to do that versus running an M Scaler :)
connecting the dx outputs of one Dave into the dual bnc input of another Dave will just bypass the WTA1 stage of the second Dave which I guess you could say could improve noise as that is a large portion of the FPGA use in Dave. Many have speculated if that is one of the reasons using the mscaler sounds better, moving all that work and switching noise out of the Dave.

but running the dx outputs of the second Dave into another chord dacs dual BNC inputs wouldn't be any different than using the outputs of the first Dave. the WTA filter is done in the first, the outputs of the second Dave will be the same as the inputs as the WTA1 stage is bypassed for 16fs inputs.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #16,807 of 18,535
MAXOAK Laptop Power Bank 185Wh/50000mAh(Max.130W) Portable Laptop Charger External Battery Pack for Laptop iPad Phone Notebook https://a.co/d/8qwjtw8

I wonder if this would work well.
I use Poweroak K2 battery packs for my M scaler, TT2 and Ether regen. I believe they’re the same as the Maxoak ones but are quite a bit cheaper. I got them from the Netherlands. Very pleased with the results compared to stock PSU’s.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #16,809 of 18,535
Let's talk power supplies for the M Scaler, I am thinking about upgrading to the IFI Elite 12v power supply, it looks and measures much better than the stock power supply, what do you guys think?

If you can bare with batteries, just get bixpower BP90, it should be cleaner then Ifi 12v

Feb 23, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #16,812 of 18,535
My MS arrives in a couple of days, and I like to try connecting to it via Optical. The MS will be paired with TT2.
My MacBook Pro can't output via Optical. So, my question is, am I better off [SQ wise] getting a network streamer with Optical out to go into the MS or simply get a USB to Optical adapter for the MacBook?

Thanks, in advance.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #16,813 of 18,535
...the battery was more laid back, the Ifi gave it more impact and dynamics. Strange.
Your results are consistent with mine. Being more laid back means lack of RFI, and it is a good thing. iFi elite gaves me more "wow" factor (more impact and dynamic) at first, but after I listened more carefully I found iFi Elite was brighter. That's the sign of being more RFI. I ended up returning iFi elite.

Back to different batteries, I have Bixpower, Maxoak, Krisdonia, and Anker. The unregulated direct battery output from Bixpower is the best.

You can see my previous posts for more detail comparison. Below are some examples:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.885042/post-17211596

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.885042/post-17343065

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #16,814 of 18,535
Your results are consistent with mine. Being more laid back means lack of RFI, and it is a good thing iFi elite gaves me more "wow" factor (more impact and dynamic) at first, but after I listened more carefully I found iFi Elite was brighter. That's the sign of being more RFI. I ended up returning iFi elite.

Back to different batteries, I have Bixpower, Maxoak, Krisdonia, and Anker. The unregulated direct battery output from Bixpower is the best.
Interesting, ok I'll get the Bixpower to hear the difference.

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #16,815 of 18,535
My MS arrives in a couple of days, and I like to try connecting to it via Optical. The MS will be paired with TT2.
My MacBook Pro can't output via Optical. So, my question is, am I better off [SQ wise] getting a network streamer with Optical out to go into the MS or simply get a USB to Optical adapter for the MacBook?

Thanks, in advance.
I’d say, don’t worry about it, just go usb to mscaler. Run that for a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back