Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 25, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #16,831 of 18,612
FWIW, I don't like these usb to optical converters, they can actually add some noise and are very cheap quality....
"can" is main word here. The opposite can too, depending on gear used.
My phones OTG cabled usb-audio is a mere jitter generator, the Douk ddc helps a lot here.

It wasn't badly reviewed at ASR either, not better than the compared used usb though, sure not worse. One could obtain optical (galvanic isolation) at no quality cost, for that little money a nice feature.

About cheap = not good?
Aint Singxer SU6 at 700euro using same XMOS XU208 as the Douk U2? SU6 has prolly better clocking and components throughout.
I run that SU6 on my laptop usb out, running HQplayer at 384, and loving it.

Consider me maybe a blissfully unaware audio foul, much recommend I might say.

All in good spirit! 😊

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #16,832 of 18,612
How can noise be injected in to optical if it's immune? the only issue im aware of with optical is jitter but that's not a problem with Chords PLL.
Optical not immune to noise if if it’s actually part of the signal.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #16,834 of 18,612
I’m not understanding this, how do you mean noise in the signal because it’s pulses of light?
The mains can inject noise in to the signal since the Duok unit needs AC power to run

Feb 26, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #16,835 of 18,612
The mains can inject noise in to the signal since the Duok unit needs AC power to run
Yep its weird stuff.. i have HMS optical linked in and out.. still i noticed improvement after changing the copper based network on my music server to optical.

My theory says the extra noise induced by using copper network (or possibly a psu for a DDC) enters via my server's mains connection to the DAC.. not the optical link

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #16,838 of 18,612
So just to make sure I’m understanding this correctly, if an mscaler is being battery powered and is using an optical input then noise can still pass through the toslink?
If the output is also used optical its completely floating and isolated. No ground noise possible then.

Optical just doesnt have the bandwidth to pass high frequency noise through

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #16,839 of 18,612
If the output is also used optical its completely floating and isolated. No ground noise possible then.

Optical just doesnt have the bandwidth to pass high frequency noise through
Sorry, I’m talking about power supplies injecting noise back towards the power outlets, from which it can find its way into anything attached to the power board. I don’t think the SMPS affects the performance TT2 or M Scaler one bit.
If both are battery powered then clearly there’s no problem in that regard.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #16,841 of 18,612
Singxer SU6 has supercaps, can run for a while when mains is unplugged, just like HugoTT2. With both I can't hear a difference when SMPS powered or running on the supercaps only. YMMV. I provided the smps's mains with an extra elemental RF filter, should protect bi directional to a degree.

HMS has no supercaps to flatten out it's DC, a missed chance for potential RF reduction?
Understandable it doesn't need to provide for bass-power surges like HTT2, but neither does Singxer SU6 that uses it purely to hammer the DC flatter.

If one has an RF free 5V supply at disposal, an Ifi toy can substitute the potential murky usb-DC with the clean one, for DAC or DDC.
Excerpt:
The iDefender+ offers an additional benefit. If an external power supply is plugged into the USB-C socket on its side, it blocks power from the computer and instead feeds the DAC with ‘clean’ power from the external supply.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #16,842 of 18,612
As long you use seperate batteries ..otherwise HMS noise simply passes through the batt's ground
True, a common ground at 1 battery minus for several units is a groundloop too. But not necessarily will this loop pick up something bothersome, that depends on circumstances.

RW still advises using SMPS for HTT2 (e.g. desktop situations offering mains) which relies on the supercaps, and only HMS fed by a battery. Preferring this over feeding both from 1 batt.

Or 2 separate batts as you say.

I did run both from 1 batt for testers, thus with groundloop, without hearing affection, though it's a vulnerable setup. You might get away with it, maybe not.

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #16,843 of 18,612
Those of you running the M Scaler off a battery how do you deal with it turning on and off all the time because I would think it needs probably at least 10 minutes of warm-up time before sounding optimal. When you use it normally without a battery pack, it’s on standby all the time.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #16,844 of 18,612
Those of you running the M Scaler off a battery how do you deal with it turning on and off all the time because I would think it needs probably at least 10 minutes of warm-up time before sounding optimal. When you use it normally without a battery pack, it’s on standby all the time.
I got used to switch gear on in advance before listening. Min 15 mins, 30 better. My setup is stationary, the HMS batt is 30Ah so I never run it on smps anymore.
Mojo2 needs at least 15 mins before it starts to sound better ime. I concur a bit with CMA at 28min40sec here
Even RME-ADI2-FS needs some warmup time I've noticed, also around 15 mins at least.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #16,845 of 18,612
I got used to switch gear on in advance before listening. Min 15 mins, 30 better. My setup is stationary, the HMS batt is 30Ah so I never run it on smps anymore.
Mojo2 needs at least 15 mins before it starts to sound better ime. I concur a bit with CMA at 28min40sec here
Even RME-ADI2-FS needs some warmup time I've noticed, also around 15 mins at least.

I wonder if it's a good idea to always be cutting out the M Scaler power and back on, since the device is made to basically always be on and doesn't even include a power button or switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back