Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 4, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #13,787 of 18,587
What about the black box ? What does it do ?

Hans has reviewed it about a month ago. I’ll get struck off for self promotion if I say anymore. I couldn’t resist the last post as chord are a brand hero for me:)

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #13,788 of 18,587
I've also been playing w/ a trial recently and echo your impressions. These PGGB files are not subtle IMO, the effect is recognizable quite immediately. It kind of shocked me to hear such magnitude of refinement. The difference is more readily apparent than any ancillary tweaks I've done such as cables and whatnot. I think this type of offline upsampling is an exciting development in digital audio. It seems to be only the beginning for PGGB so I look forward to any further advancements they make. I'm leaning towards purchasing their license to support the cause (and my ears of course) -- however there are some caveats as you alluded, it doesn't work w/ streaming and file size is huge. I don't mind the latter as much, but Roon does not seem to recognize these 32fs files, not sure about 16fs or lower. That complicates things for me because the main reason I use Roon is to seamlessly blend the local and streaming experience. Throwing PGGB into the mix means a split library/player for PGGB vs streaming which is kind of a logistic hassle. Maybe if popularity/requests increase, Roon will provide compatibility.

Huh, that's a shame about Roon not seeing the 32fs files. It does behave well for me so far with 32bit 16fs wav files. Though they are still f-ing huge, which is a pretty big minus-factor for all but those with the highest nerd quotient (disclaimer: I fit that category).

It appears that the most appropriate file format for lossless audio files >= 32bit/384khz is WavPack, which cuts down file size by a factor of ~3 compared to wav files, but Roon unfortunately does not support it. Should I go whole hog down the PGGB route (and I just bought a license), that could end up being a deal-breaker in terms of sticking with Roon, forcing me to look for a tolerable alternative (though I'm almost fed up with Roon anyway, for reasons that are off-topic). I actually just posted on the Roon forum asking about WavPack support. So a few more bumps here could be useful, who knows?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #13,789 of 18,587
Huh, that's a shame about Roon not seeing the 32fs files. It does behave well for me so far with 32bit 16fs wav files. Though they are still f-ing huge, which is a pretty big minus-factor for all but those with the highest nerd quotient (disclaimer: I fit that category).

It appears that the most appropriate file format for lossless audio files >= 32bit/384khz is WavPack, which cuts down file size by a factor of ~3 compared to wav files, but Roon unfortunately does not support it. Should I go whole hog down the PGGB route (and I just bought a license), that could end up being a deal-breaker in terms of sticking with Roon, forcing me to look for a tolerable alternative (though I'm almost fed up with Roon anyway, for reasons that are off-topic). I actually just posted on the Roon forum asking about WavPack support. So a few more bumps here could be useful, who knows?
Here’s what I just pisted over on the Antipodes users forum

I’ve been redoing all my pggb to 16fs 24b and actually prefer it to 32b. The extra space recouped is nice too. I have tried playback in every way available to me... roon direct, roon and hqplayer, hqplayer with hqpdcontrol, hqplayer with client player, lms and squeezelite and mpd. I’ve settled on roon and hqplayer. Many of the golden ears (not derogatory) have left roon. To me it is just too essential a part of my musical enjoyment and workflow. The best quality is probably mpd but the roon curation makes up for the slight difference with hqplayer.

I would be interested to hear what other users of pggb have settled on.

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #13,791 of 18,587
Maybe start a thread in “Computer Audio” for that discussion ?
You are right. Just replying. Let’s leave this thread to the mscaler’s efforts at creating the perfect wave.

Jun 4, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #13,792 of 18,587
I'm more interested in why you want both the TT2 and dave together? :wink:
Off the top…Utopia,Susvara,Abyss,Sra1 with direct drive from the Chord DACs for three of the four.

Or if Chord could “simply” get TT2 output levels from the DAVE it would be moot.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #13,794 of 18,587
This thread needs some spiritual truth to keep it on track.

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #13,795 of 18,587
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #13,796 of 18,587
I am using the dual bnc cables with my scaler and Chord qutest....seems red high upsample sonically is my sweet spot....the max mode seems to thin it out a tad....
Are you one of those people who places their DAC close to or sat on top of the M Scaler?

Before you mess about with linear power supplies and expensive BNC cables, make sure HMS and Qutest are as far apart as the BNC cables will allow.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #13,797 of 18,587
Are you one of those people who places their DAC close to or sat on top of the M Scaler?

Before you mess about with linear power supplies and expensive BNC cables, make sure HMS and Qutest are as far apart as the BNC cables will allow.
I'm one of those. Tried to stuck them up, put them as far apart as possible vertically, horizontally, diagonally. All of these configurations sound the same to me.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #13,798 of 18,587

Hi
I have the same set up. I'm curious as to the significance of keeping them apart. Using Wave Storm Ref BNCs.

Actually due to space limitations i have the gear stacked (scaler on bottom):
Qutest
Teddy Pardo PSU
M Scaler

Doing anything wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #13,800 of 18,587
I'm one of those. Tried to stuck them up, put them as far apart as possible vertically, horizontally, diagonally. All of these configurations sound the same to me.
Does moving them apart help? Yes (5 m). How far apart do you need to go to really tell: I do not know. BNC cables (at least standard ones) limit you to 2m ....

However, if you stack a DAVE on a HMS, irrespective of the RFI point, you are preventing yourself from isolating your DAVE using rollerballs, etc. This is extremely cheap to do, and makes an astonishing difference ... (or at least makes a huge difference when you have them spaced apart: I guess I did spacing first, and have not tried to reverse it, so it is possible that you notice the vibration tweak less if the distance isn't sorted)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back