Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 2, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #8,372 of 18,440
I have measured all this. It takes ~5m separation distance from MScaler before the radiated RF drops to ambient. Not sure at what distance, exactly, the effect on DACs goes away though. But if you have a galvanic connection (coax cables) physical separation is only half the battle.
It's interesting that there is no mention of the RF issues in any of the Chord M Scaler sales literature or installation manual. Is this a problem Chord would like swept under the rug or is it a perceived problem. It would be nice to get input from them on this. Does the RF radiation affect the inputs as well. Is one type of input less susceptible to the radiated RF than others? I'm thinking I should have sprung for TT2 instead of the M Scaler. It may add more problems than the goodness it creates.

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #8,373 of 18,440
It's interesting that there is no mention of the RF issues in any of the Chord M Scaler sales literature or installation manual. Is this a problem Chord would like swept under the rug or is it a perceived problem. It would be nice to get input from them on this. Does the RF radiation affect the inputs as well. Is one type of input less susceptible to the radiated RF than others? I'm thinking I should have sprung for TT2 instead of the M Scaler. It may add more problems than the goodness it creates.

I thought it mentioned keeping the M-Scaler away from amplifiers with large toroidal transformers.

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #8,374 of 18,440
I don't think m Scaler in any way affects other dac as it is encased in thick aluminium casing and it has one more cover inside. I am using TT 2 and HMS side by side at around 4 inches distance between them. BNC cable is around 75cm long. Though I have used 2 layers of copper tape on the inside of wooden cabinet in which both tt2 and HMS are kept . I remember rob giving other reason for using longer BNC cables.

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #8,376 of 18,440
Are we still on the RF topic ?

Thought this schiit was done 500 pages ago.

The MScaler is no more affected by RFI than everything else in one's chain. Chord did RFI testing of the MScaler and came to the conclusion that only Audiophile's ( Read as assholes ) will moan about the MScaler being RFI susceptible.

Currently listening to **** by the Audiophiles.

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #8,377 of 18,440
The discussion was not about the M Scaler being susceptible BUT about the M Scaler being a source of RFI affecting your other components such that they needed to be 5m or more away. According to the DX supplier.

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #8,378 of 18,440
RF is an issue for everything audio, all makes, all brands and not exclusive to Chord’s domain. Good grief, lol.

The recent discussion is more about reflections in the cable and not RF. Coaxial reflection is common, again, with all transmission not just Chord gear.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #8,381 of 18,440
Just spent a most enjoyable hour with YES, Open Your Eyes and M Scaler. I’ve always considered this a somewhat “dense” recording. The M Scaler has totally opened it up, allowing one to track each instrument and hear sounds previously muddied into the background.

Well YES is my favourite band but as regards OYE it’s debatable if it’s a really a YES recording. certainly their worst album to my ears.

Suggest you put one of Steven Wilson’s YES remixes on instead -:)

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #8,382 of 18,440
Would it be possible to run a computer simulation both with and without the mscaler's internal miniature ferrites to finally get a grip on what's happening here? Should be simple to set up.:bicyclist:

Nice photo on roon of your mscaler setup Progisus. Next step black tt2? then finally done.:ok_hand:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #8,383 of 18,440
Would it be possible to run a computer simulation both with and without the mscaler's internal miniature ferrites to finally get a grip on what's happening here? Should be simple to set up.:bicyclist:

Nice photo on roon of your mscaler setup Progisus. Next step black tt2? then finally done.:ok_hand:
Believe it or not I am going to follow some of your advise. I have ordered a JustBoom Optical output hat to replace the DigiOne spdif coax output. Are you using the optical cable that came with the mscaler? No Plans to replace the TT yet. I love that thing even at 384k and it's 28ktaps.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #8,384 of 18,440
Kabeldirekt optical cable 1m. Optical gives the best the mscaler is capable of IMHO.

The computer simulation is a joke BTW.

TT is 26K taps i'm sure:sunglasses:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back