Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 3, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #8,386 of 18,495
If you sell H2 and TT you are very nearly at a TT2. It's a no brainer. The TT2 and mscaler fit together like a sonic glove. They were made for each other. Mind you it's only....my advice.

Oct 3, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #8,387 of 18,495
@musickid They won't fit on my table without stacking and I don't want to enter the RFI zone especially if I'm going to give @Amberlamps a cardio incident. The time will come. I usually just pass things down through the family. My one daughter is an opera soprano who I have finally got into Tidal. Now to just show her the value of hi-rez. She may have a masters degree in performance but as a millennial she is a lo rez streamer. She does like Prog so there's hope.

Oct 3, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #8,389 of 18,495
I have a masters in military history and i was an 80's kid. I advise you to get a new table, not to worry about the chord stack as they were designed to run slightly cooler than a dave when stacked and not to worry about the imaginary RFI "IT". Real hi rez through a 1 million tap TT2 kicks like a mule. Each to their own.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #8,390 of 18,495
@musickid They won't fit on my table without stacking and I don't want to enter the RFI zone especially if I'm going to give @Amberlamps a cardio incident. The time will come. I usually just pass things down through the family. My one daughter is an opera soprano who I have finally got into Tidal. Now to just show her the value of hi-rez. She may have a masters degree in performance but as a millennial she is a lo rez streamer. She does like Prog so there's hope.

Don't mind me, if you wanna talk about RFI, cool, it's all good, as I'm actually looking forward to my heart attack.

That way I beat cancer, and thats cool, as normally nothing beats cancer.

:wink:

Oct 3, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #8,391 of 18,495
If you can't beat it borrow a 20K kit car and go for a spin.:race_car:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #8,392 of 18,495
I have a masters in military history and i was an 80's kid. I advise you to get a new table, not to worry about the chord stack as they were designed to run slightly cooler than a dave when stacked and not to worry about the imaginary RFI "IT". Real hi rez through a 1 million tap TT2 kicks like a mule. Each to their own.
So you are a millenial. That explains some things but they are an enigma to me. Isn't the TT2 somewhere around 96k taps? I wonder if someone has done an AB between TT1 and 2 w/o mscaler.
I sometimes find the blue light scale gives more body than the white light. The white light level while providing more high freq detail sounds thinner.

Oct 3, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #8,393 of 18,495
The white light on hms indicates upscaling to 705kHz from an input of 44.1kHz and a 1 million tap interpolation filter which replaces stage "one" wta in hugo2/tt2/dave. The 96k taps are bypassed or no longer employed in tt2. the blue light does not result in a full reproduction of the original analogue signal to a greater than 16 bit accuracy and that's were aiming for.....i.e. as close as possible to the original recording for true authenticity in the music we love.

Generation X.:)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #8,394 of 18,495
The white light on hms indicates upscaling to 705kHz from an input of 44.1kHz and a 1 million tap interpolation filter which replaces stage "one" wta in hugo2/tt2/dave. The 96k taps are bypassed or no longer employed. the blue light does not result in a full reproduction of the original analogue signal to a greater than 16 bit accuracy and that's were aiming for.....i.e. as close as possible to the original recording for true authenticity in the music we love.

Generation X.:)
Interesting... I thought the 96k taps were the D/A conversion done by the FPGA. It was always mentioned that off the shelf D/A's like ESS, AKG had very few taps - maybe 100 so that is why an FPGA was used to custom program the conversion. I could have it all wrong of course. If I have it wrong then my TT1 has gone from a 26k tap machine to a 500k tap machine surpassing a DAVE at 160k taps when using the mscaler on white.

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #8,395 of 18,495
The d/a conversion is not done "in" the fpga but by the pulse array dacs which are located outside of the fpga. Think of the fpga as the brain giving instructions on tap length, noise shaper parameters, operation of the unit with respect to inputs and outputs etc. unfortunately even though your tt1 becomes a 0.5M tap dac it cannot emit an analogue sound on par or exceeding dave as dave has a 20 element pulse array vs 10 in the tt plus the highest order noise shaper, highest quality micro materials etc etc all resulting in the very best possible sound to put it simplistically.

mscaler on white will not give you 0.5M taps on tt1 it's blue (or green please check)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #8,397 of 18,495
do you have any experience of th909 open back ragnar? can you give some brief impressions of how your 900's sound with the chord stack? i'm thinking about going for the th909.

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #8,398 of 18,495
The d/a conversion is not done "in" the fpga but by the pulse array dacs which are located outside of the fpga. Think of the fpga as the brain giving instructions on tap length, noise shaper parameters, operation of the unit with respect to inputs and outputs etc. unfortunately even though your tt1 becomes a 0.5M tap dac it cannot emit an analogue sound on par or exceeding dave as dave has a 20 element pulse array vs 10 in the tt plus the highest order noise shaper, highest quality micro materials etc etc all resulting in the very best possible sound to put it simplistically.

mscaler on white will not give you 0.5M taps on tt1 it's blue (or green please check)
SO... the 96k taps in the TT2 have nothing to do with the actual d/a conversion. In that case if it is used with an mscaler then the 96k specification becomes meaningless and all the analog tweaks are the thing. I still say that is why the TT1 sounds so good are the super caps giving it the effortlessness on high dynamic range material. Just watch - the TT1 will become a sought after item. I think Chord put some of their best analog circuitry into it. The Dave has also been noted to sound "thin" compared to TT's.

BTW - to 384k coax input on TT from SPDIF coax output on mscaler - .5m taps. when on white.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #8,399 of 18,495
The dave may appear thin (to the untrained ear) compared to tt but it isn't at all it's just super transparent so now try and imagine an mscaled dave through high end cans/efficient speakers. the combo reproduces the full range of musical qualities to the very highest level unsurpassed. that's why some here won't give up directly powering their speakers with a dave /hms direct even though there may be more power available with tt2.

on pass thru with hms/tt2 then of course the 96k taps in tt2 spring into action. with tt2/hms the analog tweaks are not the only thing because you also have wta level 2 in tt2 which upsamples to 2048FS and beyond so the noise shaper can do its business and prepare a feast for the hungry pulse array dacs to get their teeth into. it's far more complex obviously.

no one said the tt wasn't exemplary (and will always be) but there is also progress and improvements in sound quality if your are willing to pay for them. at the end of the day emotional attachment to the music is far more important then increases in the quality of varying aspects of musical qualities linked to hardware tweaks. if you feel the music then your choice of gear is spot on IMHO regardless.

all i would say is that when chord ads pop up in german and chinese out of nowhere with pics of tt2 it makes me grin. long live data analytics.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #8,400 of 18,495
I tried forever to try get my head around what the taps do. I am probably wrong, but I eventually figured that taps are the part that on the fly, calculate the waveform. Then the rest of the DAC produces the voltage wave.

In my thinking, more taps mean a more accurately calculated waveform. Since we know even small changes to the waveform can mean audible differences, my idea would make sense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back