Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #8,401 of 18,518
do you have any experience of th909 open back ragnar? can you give some brief impressions of how your 900's sound with the chord stack? i'm thinking about going for the th909.
Well, as for 900s I don`t think that there is anything better for these headphones than Chord stack. A lot of people notice two problems with TH900 in cheaper setups - bloated subbass and harsh highs. With TT2 both problems are gone. Excellent control on low frequencies (power and low output impedance) and very nice treble (thanks to DAC transparency and noise shaper). I`ve tried a lot of different SS amps before. Violectric, Luxman, Bryston, Burson, Headamp - TT2 would easily beat even the best of them. I have not heard Wells Headtrip and Niimbus US4+ yet... maybe these ams would give better sound, maybe not. Anyway, I`m too happy with TT2 to continue amp rolling, which gets more and more expensive with each step :)

I love TH900 sound. Incredibly powerful subbass and and sparkling treble. Mids are recessed, so voices are slightly set back, but still sounds beautiful. Sound stage is huge, not HD800 huge but there are a lot of open cans which give you smaller soundstage. Image is good, although not as good as you can achieve with high-end open backs. Although, those who look for "neutral sound" could be disappointed. It is anything, but neutral. Very engaging, entertaining and emotional sound. My favorite pair of headphones of all times.

909 and 900 have much in common, but open backs sound differently. TH909 have better imaging, less bass and less sparkling treble. Midrange is recessed but not like in closed model. All in all it would be fair to say that 909 are technically superior, but lost some 900`s magic.

Both TH900 and TH909 are worth trying with TT2, especially if you look at price tags on other TOTL headphones. In 2019 Fostex`s flagships do not look expensive anymore :)

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #8,402 of 18,518
hi Greenbow,

think interpolation filter. so the more taps the greater the accuracy in that final voltage wave you are right. 1 million missing bits filled in vs 200 put very very simply. google interpolation filter. it's physics. also there is an interview with Rob where the origin of the term taps is explained.

interpolation is a method of constructing new data points within the range of a discrete set of known data points.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #8,403 of 18,518
many thanks Ragnar excellent summary. i've been looking for a headphone to compliment my wonderful PM1. Initially looking for open design with good stage/imaging. i will have to try both Fostex's. The price vs performance is looking very good here. Approx. £1500 in UK.

Oct 3, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #8,405 of 18,518
Has anyone here compared the M Scaler / Chord stack to the PS Audio Directstream?

Yes and in the same system side by side.

Let’s just say that I decided not to sell my Chord MScaler kit.

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #8,407 of 18,518
Yes and in the same system side by side.

Let’s just say that I decided not to sell my Chord MScaler kit.
Gotcha @Triode User, thanks. Which firmware were you running at the time on the Directstream?

I like the fact that PS Audio offers code updates that can refresh and improve the sound quality. I don't believe that's an approach that Chord embraces.

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #8,408 of 18,518
Gotcha @Triode User, thanks. Which firmware were you running at the time on the Directstream?

I like the fact that PS Audio offers code updates that can refresh and improve the sound quality. I don't believe that's an approach that Chord embraces.

If I remember correctly it was Redcloud. I compared it to Dave and Blu2.

Regarding the update thing, there is perhaps an argument for getting it right first time then updates are not needed.

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #8,409 of 18,518
that is quite a silly response, if true manufacturers would not be updating their products with new and improved versions...perhaps you should buy 4 or 5 year old HP's as well and not be interested in new models...by issuing new firmware upgrades PS Audio os essentially allowing their customers to continue to receive new updates without being forced to buy new products...seems like a good thing to me....as one who owns both the chord dave with the blu2 and the PS Audio I can tell you the PS Audio is a quality product at a fraction of the cost.....

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #8,410 of 18,518
Hmmn , I can sense we are not going to agree on this business of having :-
A) a product which has required frequent updates to it's firmware since launch
B) a product which despite not being updated since launch is still so far ahead of the game that it's designer sees no point in even considering an revised model.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like certain aspects of the DirectStream sound but in many other ways it is not my cup of tea.

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #8,411 of 18,518
tht is certainly your prerogative but I for one as a person who owns numerous chord products would love the ability to upgrade when appropriate without having to purchase an entirely new and expensive product

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #8,412 of 18,518
RF is so variable based on so many in home factors.

I also wonder if the mScaler RF discussion is due to:

1. An MScaler is a signifanct piece of machinery in the chain where as most digital set ups are only DAC/Amp.

2. As Chord fanboys, we all appreciate the insane transparency and accuracy their DACs provide and this it makes RF more noticeable.

that said, the Wave Cables and keeping my mScaler and TT2 a few feet apart have my system running like magic.

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #8,413 of 18,518
tht is certainly your prerogative but I for one as a person who owns numerous chord products would love the ability to upgrade when appropriate without having to purchase an entirely new and expensive product
Well, I do like an idea of an "upgrade without having to pay", but... Possibility of software update for a DAC means that it`s software was not optimal at it`s launch, right? Otherwise there would not be any progress in SQ. And as far I remember, Rob said that there is nothing to upgrade in Chord DACs software. It is already doing its best and nothing could be done without new hardware. With this in mind I would prefer "non-upgradable" DAC, which is already good from the start.

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #8,414 of 18,518
so let me understand, your assertion is that the dave for instance can never be improved or updated?...hmmmmm

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #8,415 of 18,518
I work in the software industry. Continuous improvements are inherent to the business. Just like chords tt2 improved on the original tt. Additional features, a better filter, more taps perhaps. It's not all just hardware updates but also the code executing on the fpga. You may not like the ps audio product but the fact that they offer free upgrades is not a sign that it is somehow malformed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back