Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 4, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #8,431 of 18,516
not as presently built it couldn't

You are correct, not as presently built, but unfortunately in one way all Chord DACs could be improved. A 768 kHz optical interface that accepts data direct from a M-Scaler with a 768 kHz output. I have been using the Opto-DX with the Dave and Blu2 for the last few weeks, and the sound quality is incredible.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #8,432 of 18,516
Rob's algorithm are far more elaborate and need lot more parallel processing power, so much so that the product had to wait for the suitable chip. So rob had much bigger plan limited by chip power. Same will be the case for next release, there will be a product fully utilising the available capability of chip not just 'Sergei Bubka' thing done by PS audio. And yes software can't overcome the hardware limitations as evident in the recent measurements of ps audio dac by asr.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #8,433 of 18,516
Updates from bluebird on how long you had to wait for the mscaler to ship to the states ?

what I meant was every time I moved the tip by mm, the sound characteristic will change, as if as I received new update from the HMS/Qutest 1569896214735-2129680398.jpg

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #8,436 of 18,516
Rob's algorithm are far more elaborate and need lot more parallel processing power, so much so that the product had to wait for the suitable chip. So rob had much bigger plan limited by chip power. Same will be the case for next release, there will be a product fully utilising the available capability of chip not just 'Sergei Bubka' thing done by PS audio. And yes software can't overcome the hardware limitations as evident in the recent measurements of ps audio dac by asr.

The AMD EPYC series should be more than OP for this product. Embedded CPU also available if that's what is needed.

Price though is twice as much as this product for the TOTL CPU versus the Xilinx which runs under $300.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-epyc-7742

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16819113581

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #8,437 of 18,516
Hi Head-fi,
I'm still reading, trying to catch up. Currently at page 521 (slow reader). I've had my HMS/TT2 for about 5 months now. Thanks to @TSAVAlan for being a great dealer and an awesome guy.

I'm loving this setup. Using it with Abyss Phi and CC pads. Just so,... WOW. Never heard better. Close to where I am with reading there was mention of using ifi DC iPurifier. Appologies if this has been discussed more since where I am in reading.

Trying to keep it short, after getting my set (HMS/TT2) I tried TT2 solo first. To this point, best DAC I've heard yet. Adding HMS is a revelation. I mean, I can't describe like you all, but yeah! I can now feel the space around the music. It's Alive!

Getting back to that ifi device. At first I added a Furman PST-8D. Highly recommended. It's a dual filter power strip. One filter for 4 outlets each. I have HMS on one filter and the TT2 on the other. Nothing else plugged into the strip. I'm using the stock power supplies from Chord. I'm using my Samsung Note 9 as the source so far (need an upgrade for that). So, no other mains required. My Abyss Phi is connected to the dual 3 pin XLR output of the TT2. Very nice. The extra power lets me lower the volume by 7 db, but it has much better control/dynamics with these power hungry cans then the standard HP out.

Ok, I know I am all over the place. Appologies. I want to talk about those ifi devices in conjunction with the HMS/TT2. When I first added the PST-8D I noticed overall there was a lower noise floor, a more black background (and I mean after the MAJOR leap in that direction thanks to Chord). That helps the subtle nuances in recordings become more perceptive. It's why "I'm hearing things I've never heard before". It was huge with just getting the Chord stack. From here there are subtle additions in clarity. Worth the extra investment IMO. By clarity I mean like I said before, you hear things you didn't before. And more, I can't describe it. It opens the space around the music.

Ok, I want to try to sound coherent here. As you reduce noise, the background stuff, those minutia sounds you never heard before become apparent. And that you did hear becomes more crystal clear.

Let's go from here with an example. I'm not so good at this so please forgive me. I want to take a single recording I love so much for this.. Suite Judy Blue Eyes from CSN. With the HMS/TT2 I was presented with more detail than I've experienced so far. It was a revelation. Sorry to use that word twice, but here it is needed. This is where I really fell in love with this song. And where I had some misconceptions about it. At first with the HMS/TT2 it was awesome initially. I've heard things I've never heard before. But then, because of this new level of detail I'v never experienced before I found something I felt was lacking. Suddenly in this near perfect reproduction I felt the bass was not coherent, muddy. I thought the recording might be at fault (forgive me). With the added PST-D8 the bass was cleaner, tighter. But not perfect. I added the ifi DC Ipurufier to both the HMS and TT2 and there was a new level of WOW.

Please forgive me, I'm having network droppouts while compiling this.

Ok, I'm looking over this and I'm seeing ,where I was interrupted.

Given Suite JudyBlue Eyes. Wonderful recording.
The bass guitar was cleaner, easier to listen to. I removed the ifi DC iPurifier to check and my ears cringed. The slight mud in the bass was back. Enjoyment of the song slightly diminished. These little add ons really do work.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #8,438 of 18,516
I have deleted this post and replaced it with the following.

After extended testing with and without the mscaler in my setup, I have come to the conclusion that the MScaler works, and works well.

I had never really listened to TT2 on it's own ever since I got it, accidentally I have, but I never gave TT2 a real test on it's own for a week or so, but I have now and TT2 on it's own sounds great!

However,

The inclusion of the mscaler helps unravels all the different sounds so that it's much easier to follow a specific instrument.

It's all about timing and transients, which means nothing to me, but it does work, as after my testing of TT2 on it's own, and then with the mscaler connected, I prefer the dual setup compared to TT2 on it's own.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #8,439 of 18,516
Beyond a certain limit the effects of long tap lengths (better timing of transients) can't be measured. That's what rob has been saying all along that brain is much more sensitive to timing of transients. some of the asr reviews like yggy have not yet been refuted and proved wrong.

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #8,440 of 18,516
I've been reading ASR for the last few days, checking out their reviews and tests.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php

EDIT

I forgot to add, maybe it's due to me solely being a headphone user ? Maybe if I used speakers instead things would be different ???
Try m scaler in a speaker system. M scaler makes vocals much cleaner, there is clearly longer decays of instruments. My best test is 'listening from other room' with HMS in mix the 'performance in other room' is more like a singer singing live in that room.

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #8,441 of 18,516
I've been reading ASR for the last few days, checking out their reviews and tests.

The story goes, that millions of taps are not needed and that much cheaper dacs, example Topping dacs at a fraction of the price measure better than Chord dacs.

In one of their reviews, mojo got slated for having bad measurements https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-chord-mojo-dac-and-amp.5120/

I'm not going to pick a side, but if I can get the same quality or better sound for much cheaper, then it's a no brainer. If said test above is correct, then mojo is not as good as chords marketing dept is, and what hifi reviews can be ignored, which I knew already that what hifi is useless as a review site.

Although I've included mojo as an example, it's Taps that is the main thing I'm speaking about, and more taps, supposedly if ASR is correct, we don't need, and it would be better to focus on other aspects of a dac's design, and what better forum to post this post in than Chords ultimate tap length filter, the mscaler thread, and to be honest with you, I'm going to agree with ASR and I will tell you why.

As you all know, I have an MScaler and a TT2, from day 1 I was unimpressed by the mscaler, even now, I don't think hear a difference with and without the mscaler being in the mix.

I wanted to like it and I kept telling myself, it must just be me as everyone is raving about it, so I assumed it was just me, then I tried passthrough mode and realised it sounded the exact same with and without it being set to pass through mode. I mentioned my confusion of not hearing a difference between the two modes on the forums and, lo and behold so did many others notice the same thing, but they were quiet up until that point.

I've done testing and I don't hear a bloody difference with and without the mscaler being attached to TT2, and I've had roughly a year of using it day in and day out and I kept saying to myself, it has to be me, as everyone is saying the difference is like day and night, but, and I won't mention any names, but privately those people who were saying on the forums, the mscaler is a total transformation, they were privately saying that they too were unimpressed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the mscaler is crap, and I'm fighting myself to try and explain how I feel. On one hand I can't hear any difference when the mscaler is in the loop, but I've been influenced by marketing and blu mk ii and mscaler owners into thinking more taps mean something and, that I should hear a clear difference when I use the mscaler, but I don't and now I don't think millions of taps matter, if they did, then the difference between Hugo 2, or TT2 with and without the mscaler attached would be extreme, since both those devices have less than 100k taps, and the mscaler having over 1 million.

Personally, Rob makes excellent DAC's, no two ways about it, Chord dacs are good, but, and this goes back to a post I made a while ago, I don't think huge numbers of taps and chasing more is the way forward, if it was, TT2 and MScaler or especially the Hugo 2 and mscaler due to using batteries would make dave look bad, but it doesn't, and I think it's because of the 20 element psu that dave has, I think that is the area to focus on instead of ever increasing tap numbers.

I think that the better psu implementation in dave is the sole reason dave sounds better than other chord dacs, I doubt very much that it's tap count matters as much as people think and I will go on record saying that for me, the mscaler was a bad purchase and that I would of been overjoyed to of just owned TT2 on it's own. Plus it would of saved me 3 grand.

Now, I'm not too stupid to realise that others will say I'm wrong and that the mscaler is truly wonderful, thats their opinion and I'm not going to argue with them, but I will say this, before I mentioned that passthrough sounded the same as 1 million taps, some folk were adamant that 1 million taps sounded crazy good compared to passthrough, but when I mentioned I couldn't hear the difference between both modes, suddenly their minds changed and they too couldn't hear the difference.

I'm either very good at changing folks minds on the fly or they too were fooled into thinking they were hearing a night and day difference, fooled by peer pressure and marketing departments and dodgy unscientific review sites, ones who don't measure what goes in to the dac and how it comes out, and if there is any added distortion etc, and as ASR points out, some chord dacs meassure totally different to specified figures given by Chord, some by a long way off, now I'm not suggesting anything, ASR states that he does not know under what conditions those figures were obtained, thus he can only do real world usage testing/measurements.

Now before you all jump on me, let me make it clear, I love my mojo, poly I'm not too keen on, but thats only because of it's protracted birth, Hugo 2 I was over the moon with and the same with TT2, and I couldn't be more happier. Pricey though, but I really like them.

But I've come to the realisation that it's not tap count that matters, well not in the huge numbers given, especially when those taps are meant to produce a more smoothly defined sinewave, but when the devices mentioned are measured by a third party with no dubious intentions, the sinewave produced is not as good as some competitors products that cost thousands less, but we are led to believe that more taps gives us more points of measurement thus making it easier to reproduce the original signal (audio file) but if thats correct, then the ouput signal should not be worse than competitors products, it should be better.

I'm not going to pretend to know all the in's and out's of dac design, but I do know what my ears are telling me, and even though I have just been diagnosed with very mild high frequency hearing loss, I still have very good hearing for my age group, the 40s.

This post is not a dig at Rob, Chord or any of their other products, it's just me saying that their dacs sound good, but the mscaler in my opinion is not nearly as good as what people here say it is and, that peer pressure, dodgy review sites, and marketing departments all have a hand in making us think that some product is worth buying, and also folk don't want to think that an expensive purchase they have made was a bad one.

It may also affect Rob and Chord in to keep chasing a higher tap length number when other aspects of a dac may be part that should be focused on, example 20+ element psu.

If folk keep praising rob or chord, either rightly or wrongly with respect to tap length, thats not going to deter them from stopping and focusing on other aspect of dac design that may be the part that could bring more substantial audio benefits.

Again, don't take this post as Anti Rob or Chord, it's not, as I like their dacs, it's just that I don't think crazy tap lengths should be the main focus anymore, the mscaler in my opinion is like a car that has a 6000bhp engine that in theory can do 500 mph, but it can only drive on side streets with speed bumps and a 20mph speed limit.

I love my TT2 though, but thought the lesser tapped Hugo 2 had better detail retrieval, go figure, as TT2 has double the taps of Hugo 2.

This post took me some time to write up and took me a year to really figure out that the mscaler was probably my most expensive purchasing mistake, so don't write it off as being an anti chord schit post please. Take it for what it is, a post from someone who owns an mscaler but can't hear the miraculous difference it supposedly makes to music.

This is the site that I was reading, don't presume it's like the sound science sub forum thats here, as the one here is dumb.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php

EDIT

I forgot to add, maybe it's due to me solely being a headphone user ? Maybe if I used speakers instead things would be different ???
I can hear a difference, but I could hear a difference when I used Roon to upscale to DSD or Max PCM. When I upscaled to DSD in Roon; I could hear the difference in the various filters as well. That was the reason I waited quite awhile before buying the M-Scaler.

I was of the mindset that I could use the M-Scaler money towards something more impactful in my set up. In the end; I broke down and bought it, as it was more of an elegant solution for upscaling.

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #8,442 of 18,516
Try m scaler in a speaker system. M scaler makes vocals much cleaner, there is clearly longer decays of instruments. My best test is 'listening from other room' with HMS in mix the 'performance in other room' is more like a singer singing live in that room.

I did suspect that things may be different with respect to using the mscaler in a setup with speakers, but I have limited cash and more importantly room for speakers in my cave.

I know a few folk who use either blu ii or the mscaler in a speaker setup and they swear by the mscaler, but I really can't hear the difference with my headphone setup, and I have 7 pairs of headphones, also as before I'm not saying the mscaler is crap, as I know headphones are limited to what they can do compared to a proper speaker setup.

But;

I listen to my setup nearly everyday for a good number of hours, and the times that I would listen to TT2 on it's own, I really couldn't tell ya if the mscaler was in the loop or not. I have 4 optical input cables, only two can go into the mscaler and the other two go directly in to tt2, when I use the ones on TT2, to me it sounds the same as the ones going through the mscaler.

Maybe "a bad purchase/mistake" was too strong, maybe I should try it with speakers to see if I can spot the difference the mscaler makes. But if I'm truthful, I never really noticed any change with the mscaler hooked up to Hugo 2, and I can't really tell the difference if the mscaler is in the mix if I forget which optical input I'm using.

Basically, TT2 sounds just as good regardless of mscaler or input type, usb or optical. Ok I will admit that when changing to the blue ball on the mscaler, I can hear a difference then, but from there to a million taps, no change is audible to me, and it bugs me to not be getting the same HUGE change in sound quality that everyone else is speaking about.

I have my sights set on getting a Dave, and truthfully, if i'm buying anything, it's the better dac that I'd be buying and not speakers, and I don't think the number of taps that dave has compared to TT2 is the reason that it sounds better, I think it's the other design aspects that Dave has, that makes it the better dac.

Tap length in my humble opinion is truly overrated.

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #8,443 of 18,516
Now, I'm not too stupid to realise that others will say I'm wrong and that the mscaler is truly wonderful, thats their opinion and I'm not going to argue with them, but I will say this, before I mentioned that passthrough sounded the same as 1 million taps, some folk were adamant that 1 million taps sounded crazy good compared to passthrough, but when I mentioned I couldn't hear the difference between both modes, suddenly their minds changed and they too couldn't hear the difference.

Just on passthrough, I am a lone voice in saying that I think I can hear a difference comparing passthrough on the Mscaler connected to Dave vs not having Mscaler in the system and just using Dave.

Oct 5, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #8,444 of 18,516
Clarification @Amberlamps, DAVE doesn’t have a 20e psu... It’s a 20e Pulse Array DAC.

Oct 5, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #8,445 of 18,516
“Tap length in my humble opinion is truly overrated.” - @Amberlamps - I agree.

I also found it interesting when Audiobacon in his review found the “blue ball” gave the most engaging sound at times.

In retrospect I could have spent my money elsewhere. Now that I have it, it will remain as their is a mild improvement.

I also find it amusing the lengths people go to get good performance out of it. 5 metres apparently. Lol

M Scaler - $7k - getting it to perform - Priceless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back