Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #7,771 of 18,535
Out of interest do most people read when listening to music? maybe reading headfi whilst listening or do you switch off close your eyes and become purely and totally absorbed in the music? or maybe a mixture of the two. do you find it difficult to concentrate on listening without some other activity or does it depend on the type of music/mood?

Do you read when you go to a concert?

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #7,772 of 18,535
Only the programme......:sunglasses:

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #7,774 of 18,535
The bnc 1 and 2's from mscaler to hugo 2 do not need to be lined up from bnc1 on mscaler to right input on the audioquest adaptor and so on. It does not matter which bnc from the mscaler is connected to which connector on the audioquest adaptor. This only matters with the TT2/dave. The coax input on H2 flags the right/left data and sends it to the correct path irrespective of how the cables are connected.

Out of interest do most people read when listening to music? maybe reading headfi whilst listening or do you switch off close your eyes and become purely and totally absorbed in the music? or maybe a mixture of the two. do you find it difficult to concentrate on listening without some other activity or does it depend on the type of music/mood?
For me, a listening session with headphones always involves some form of casual reading but I begin a session focused on the presentation. It's that few minutes of focus that determines which album or playlist I settle in with for the next hour. During that 1st hour, I peruse some audio related content online followed by some brief news articles. Then I change the playlist and spend another hour revising/creating a playlist or reading some bio on a particular artist. My tinnitus kicks in during the 1st hour, so 2 hrs is my limit with headphones. I have some decent iem's but after 30 minutes Quasimodo gets unbearable.
One thing I cannot do is reply to emails with headphones on. Not from being inept but because time passes so fast when handling emails that I don't get to appreciate the audio before my tinnitus calls a time-out.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #7,775 of 18,535
The bnc 1 and 2's from mscaler to hugo 2 do not need to be lined up from bnc1 on mscaler to right input on the audioquest adaptor and so on. It does not matter which bnc from the mscaler is connected to which connector on the audioquest adaptor. This only matters with the TT2/dave. The coax input on H2 flags the right/left data and sends it to the correct path irrespective of how the cables are connected.

When I listen to music, I pour a drink and just listen. It’s a major release for me and reading distracts from it. I really like closing my eyes while listening. Turning off one sense heightens another.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #7,778 of 18,535
I like to play chess online sometimes, anyone who wants a game can pm me.

I prefer to fall asleep and then wake up later and listen on.

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #7,779 of 18,535
When I listen to music, I pour a drink and just listen. It’s a major release for me and reading distracts from it. I really like closing my eyes while listening. Turning off one sense heightens another.

Am teetotal and love it. Don't need booze to get into music. Booze just ***** me up anyway.

E.g. today, I played one of my very best feel good tracks on repeat while out walking. Was dancing and jigging down the road for about forty mins. When I chill out so to speak to music, yeah I often close eyes. Sometimes fall asleep with earphones in. Either way though, I commonly get spaced out into the music. Love it when it goes hypnagogic, or just really relaxed down. (Or slipping about into different relaxed states.) It's more about getting the right music for my mood. Can be anything from Norah Jones, Hawkwind, to Beethoven or Sibelius, just to mention a few.

This my feelgood track.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #7,781 of 18,535
I like listening during the twilight hours or at dusk. At these times i find my mood relaxed and sensory input heightened. With chord music that passed me by previously now forms part of my regular repertoire.

R-1448305-1490188001-4307.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #7,782 of 18,535
Closing the eyes definitely helps for me. I am able to appreciate the depth and layering m-scalar brings and I like focusing on individual instruments. I go one step further. Sometimes switch off the AC and PC, turn off the lights for total silence other than the music.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #7,783 of 18,535
Out of interest do most people read when listening to music?
I often watch TV at the same time – sports or even motion pictures (with subtitles). Lying in bed before sleeping, the usual ritual is reading a SciFi story and listening to music via FiiO X5 II–Hugo₂–CA Atlas or FiiO FH7, sometimes with dislocated M Scaler when I'm in the mood. The same setup on my balcony on summer days. While the latter two scenarios are o.k. for me, I consider the former a bad habit, I should return to my earlier, exclusive mode.

My absolute favorite track since quite a while – and first on the playlist of my DAPs due to the alphabet:

a1955816915_16.jpg

9T Antiope - Nocebo

It desn't just have a relaxing effect, but puts me in a higher state of consciousness...

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #7,784 of 18,535

I had mine connected the wrong way and could not cycle through the sample rates. Swapping them over at the M Scaler end enabled me to so in my experience it does matter.

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #7,785 of 18,535
I had mine connected the wrong way and could not cycle through the sample rates. Swapping them over at the M Scaler end enabled me to so in my experience it does matter.
Not with mine. Are you sure you're talking of the Hugo₂?

I have to correct myself: It does matter indeed. (Somehow I managed to get it working the first time.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back