Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 3, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #7,741 of 18,495
This M-Scaler was a great purchase. I'm just using stock bnc cables to feed my TT2 and then Abyss Phi TC and Focal Utopia headphones. I plan on buying some aftermarket bnc cables (Wave) in the coming weeks/months. I can't wait to hear what that sounds like, but right now, I am thoroughly impressed with Chord. The M-Scaler Hugo TT2 combo is absolutely amazing
I’m trying to get a demo of the Abyss with both a DAVE and a Hugo TT2. Does pairing the TT2 with the Abyss leave wanting anything? I’m hoping the TT2 gets close to getting the best out of the Abyss as I don’t want to add a dedicated headphone amp to my system.

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #7,742 of 18,495
I am in the market for a closed back to keep the wife happy (HD800S leak a lot). I auditioned Stellia, expecting to be blown away. I was not, they were very resolving but a bit shouty. There was a set of HD820 in the same shop so I plugged them in and they sounded fantastic.
The aeon flow closed are amazing with mojo. They have a lot of soul. You won’t want for more and not overly expensive.
I saw a YouTube video saying mass drop has an ether c version for approx 700 which could be worth looking into.

Aug 3, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #7,743 of 18,495
I’m trying to get a demo of the Abyss with both a DAVE and a Hugo TT2. Does pairing the TT2 with the Abyss leave wanting anything? I’m hoping the TT2 gets close to getting the best out of the Abyss as I don’t want to add a dedicated headphone amp to my system.
I recently added an M-Scaler to my setup. I’d say that with the M-Scaler and the TT2, it does not leave me wanting anything else. That pairing sounds so good. It’s amazing

I would actually not recommend the DAVE for the TCs, as the DAVE doesn’t have the power needed to push the TCs to adequate volume. With the TT2, at 80% volume it’s the exact loudness that I want. I listen probably too loud, but nevertheless it suits my needs. The DAVE would not be able to drive the TCs to the volume I want

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #7,744 of 18,495
The aeon flow closed are amazing with mojo. They have a lot of soul. You won’t want for more and not overly expensive.
I saw a YouTube video saying mass drop has an ether c version for approx 700 which could be worth looking into.
I find the aeon flow closed to be very good with the Hugo 2, but I too find them to have even greater synergy with the Mojo.
The Mojo was already configured for musicality, and the AFC seem to take things to the next level above.
Makes me wonder if they would have a similar effect on the original Hugo TT.

Aug 3, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #7,745 of 18,495
Detail is very good, and I'm listening to them via Mojo & Poly as we speak, Roger Waters Pro's and Con's of hitchhiking sounded like a new album, hearing fine detail that I'm positive that I've never heard or appreciated before.

Saw a thread last week on Reddit about albums you need to listen from start to finish, and this was the first one that popped into my head.

I've heard it so many times, that I want really expecting to hear new sounds, but having just listened through just now, again, is the detail, layering, and clarity in everything that stands out for me on the HMS/TT2 combo. As an example, i clearly couldn't have missed it before as it's a core part of the track, but the sound of the piano in a track towards the end (5.06am I think) just sounds as if I'm right there as he's playing it.

Aug 3, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #7,746 of 18,495

Massdrop for us in the uk = customs fee's, handling fee's, vat, then a £8 royal mail rip off handling fee, they have to handle it to deliver it, regardless of where it was posted from, so why a handling fee ?

Massdrop looks like a good deal, but once you factor in everything, it's not. I bought a cool camo jacket from them, and was basically charged roughly half of what the jacket cost again on top.

I see they have changed their name to just "Drop" now.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #7,747 of 18,495
I recently added an M-Scaler to my setup. I’d say that with the M-Scaler and the TT2, it does not leave me wanting anything else. That pairing sounds so good. It’s amazing

I would actually not recommend the DAVE for the TCs, as the DAVE doesn’t have the power needed to push the TCs to adequate volume. With the TT2, at 80% volume it’s the exact loudness that I want. I listen probably too loud, but nevertheless it suits my needs. The DAVE would not be able to drive the TCs to the volume I want

Thats the main reason that I don't have a dave instead of my TT2, as I'm solely a headphone user and, I keep hearing about dave's lack of power from it's headphone out with some headphones.

TT2 with the MScaler connected goes all the way up to +22H, without the mscaler, I think it's +14H or +18H, I can't exactly recall, but the mscaler being in the loop allows for more volume on TT2, which is cool, but it's doubtful if I will ever need it, as the max I goto is roughly -20H with my HD800S and less with my other headphones.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #7,748 of 18,495
Hi, I am curious to know if you initially set up the cables incorrectly by mistake (BNC out 1 to BNC in 2) or is there some quirk where you need to swap the cables from what is shown in the M scaler manual page 30 (implying incorrect internal connections in either the TT2 or M scaler).

I’m running my M.Scaler into a Hugo 2 using the supplied BNCs with BNC to RCA adapters into an Audioquest RCA to 3.5mm adapter. The AQ adapter is not marked to match the BNC 1 / 2 on the M Scaler so needed trial and error.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #7,750 of 18,495

I am a bit put off by reports that AFCs are a bit bass light. The next closed HP I want to audition is the Sony MDR- Z1R.

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #7,751 of 18,495
I am a bit put off by reports that AFCs are a bit bass light. The next closed HP I want to audition is the Sony MDR- Z1R.
I’m Not sure that’s true, bass guitar is amazing with them.

Aug 3, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #7,753 of 18,495

the Dave will drive pretty much every HP quite well other than the TC, Susvara and LCD-4 with the LCD-4 on the border line....the problem with using the TT2 instead of the Dave is that the Dave is a far better DAC so there is no free lunch here

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #7,754 of 18,495
Yeah, A roon nuc is just an actual intel nuc motherboard inside a fanless case. Nothing special or specially made for roon.

You can do the exact same thing and make it crazy powerful like mine and still have change from £800, that includes a nice fanless case or just go for something capable and cheap. Compare it to the cheapest roon nuc, which is £1500 and it goes upto £2500 for the nuc +

A fair bit of saving if you diy, and all you really have to do is clip in 1 or 2 sticks of ram, screw down an M key M.2 ssd, and if you want and which I advise, get a small nuc sized sata ssd for storage and just slide it into position. Takes all of 10 minutes to build it, 5 minutes if you know what your doing. It's Super super easy.

If you buy one from simply nuc, ask them if they can update the uefi/bios to the latest version before they ship it to you, as it will save you the hassle of doing it.

A Mac Mini will do much the same job. I am using an old 2012 i7 for my server, and a couple of Raspberry Pis as end points (with DietPi installed). There are a couple of mini computers out there with more powerful specs that seem like they could do a good job as basic Roon servers too.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #7,755 of 18,495
the Dave will drive pretty much every HP quite well other than the TC, Susvara and LCD-4 with the LCD-4 on the border line....the problem with using the TT2 instead of the Dave is that the Dave is a far better DAC so there is no free lunch here
That's all well and good, but he specifically asked about the TC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back