Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 4, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #7,756 of 18,528
and i think i answered it by suggesting that the TC requires an external amp with the Dave but the Daves Dac is a fair bit better so IMHO the Dave with amp is worth it IF you can swing it

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #7,757 of 18,528
and i think i answered it by suggesting that the TC requires an external amp with the Dave but the Daves Dac is a fair bit better so IMHO the Dave with amp is worth it IF you can swing it

I find also that Dave plus external amp for speakers is better than TT2 driving speakers direct. The slight loss of transparency by adding the external amp is marginal compared to the extra sound quality that Dave brings to the party. IMHO and YMMV of course.

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #7,758 of 18,528
He said he didn’t want to add an external hp amp, but I hear what you're saying. Side note, I was thinking about getting a susvara to compliment my TC. Since you have both, what are your experiences with the Susvara? In which situations do you use the Susvara over the TC and vise-versa? I also have Utopias and Th900mk2 if that is relevant to the comparison.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #7,759 of 18,528
All newer chord dacs even drive 8ohm bookshelf speakers to sufficient levels with plenty of bass response then how come some people keep on reporting Dave or tt2 does not drive certain headphones. No headphone is below 8ohm and lcd4 are much higher in impedance. It's the current which limits the performance not voltage. If someone is getting enough volume even at higher volume setting without any clipping ( say 80 to 90 %), it's better than operating at lower volume with much higher current drawing. Remember speakers with lower impedance are difficult to drive not higher impedance ones. I think it's more of psychological when you reach 80 % of volume with certain high impedance headphones, you think it is underpowered which is in fact not.

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #7,760 of 18,528
I’m Not sure that’s true, bass guitar is amazing with them.

Oh yes, it's true, I can confirm and so does some reviews. Personally I would say it's very bass light compared to other headphones, my pair atleast are.

Aug 4, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #7,761 of 18,528
Oh yes, it's true, I can confirm and so does some reviews. Personally I would say it's very bass light compared to other headphones, my pair atleast are.
Yours aren’t burned in yet :)

Aug 4, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #7,763 of 18,528
They're cooking at gas mark 768, I would use the microwave if I knew it would cook em any faster.
100-200 hours amigo - mr speaker says so
:)

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #7,764 of 18,528
He said he didn’t want to add an external hp amp, but I hear what you're saying. Side note, I was thinking about getting a susvara to compliment my TC. Since you have both, what are your experiences with the Susvara? In which situations do you use the Susvara over the TC and vise-versa? I also have Utopias and Th900mk2 if that is relevant to the comparison.

I honestly cannot day one is better than the other but I tend to listen to the susvara more when in the mood for jazz or acoustic music. In general I go back and forth and each time I do I swear the one I am listening to is best lol

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #7,766 of 18,528
Were your aeon's hot when you bought them zappa?

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #7,767 of 18,528
The bnc 1 and 2's from mscaler to hugo 2 do not need to be lined up from bnc1 on mscaler to right input on the audioquest adaptor and so on. It does not matter which bnc from the mscaler is connected to which connector on the audioquest adaptor. This only matters with the TT2/dave. The coax input on H2 flags the right/left data and sends it to the correct path irrespective of how the cables are connected.

Out of interest do most people read when listening to music? maybe reading headfi whilst listening or do you switch off close your eyes and become purely and totally absorbed in the music? or maybe a mixture of the two. do you find it difficult to concentrate on listening without some other activity or does it depend on the type of music/mood?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #7,769 of 18,528
I think Hugo 2 manual somewhere mentions that tip of 3.5mm stereo is coaxial 1 and mid sleeve is coaxial 2.
You're probably right, but as mentioned by musickid it doesn't matter for the M Scaler's dual data mode. Just with DAVE and TT₂.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back