Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 10, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #7,801 of 18,519
Curious: Which song or album are we talking about? I believe the original post was a pic, or something.

Ah yes context. Post edited. The album being referred to was Miles Davis Kind of Blue.

Musickids post also inspired me to have it playing on loop for the last few hours. Playing Sketches of Spain right now.

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #7,802 of 18,519
Ah yes context. Post edited. The album being referred to was Miles Davis Kind of Blue.

Musickids post also inspired me to have it playing on loop for the last few hours. Playing Sketches of Spain right now.
Thanks HM. That's the version I also have. I believe they went to great lengths to restore the version to which you refer.

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #7,803 of 18,519
It must be the version marked 1959 release and nothing later. This version is far superior IMHO probably because it is pre Dolby. The lack of digital processing adding to the authentic nature of the SQ.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #7,804 of 18,519
Sadly Tidal only has two versions, 1997 and the Legacy version dated 2016. No 1959 version.

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #7,806 of 18,519
Qobuz had several versions available but this is the stereo one listed as being released in 1959. Qobuz also list a mono version issued in 1959.

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/kind-of-blue-miles-davis/5099749522428

and this the full selection on Qobuz (thumbnail image, click for full image)

Screenshot 2019-08-11 at 17.11.24.png

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #7,807 of 18,519
Qobuz had several versions available but this is the stereo one listed as being released in 1959. Qobuz also list a mono version issued in 1959.

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/kind-of-blue-miles-davis/5099749522428

and this the full selection on Qobuz (thumbnail image, click for full image)

Is it the mono version that is the predolby black gold we seek?

kob.PNG

i found this one, BnF collection... good thing it says it was actually release in 1960, so it couldn't be remastered etc.

https://play.qobuz.com/album/3610154522029

no, i think the stereo version sounds much more lively.

https://play.qobuz.com/album/3610154015569

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #7,808 of 18,519
The BNF and Revola above are dodgy versions made from public domain copies.
The ones to go for are the 2013 Columbia versions. There is a mono and stereo release.
1959 is the original release date not the mastering date.

Aug 11, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #7,809 of 18,519
Released around 4 months after recorded this must be the earliest master. So the most authentic sound IMHO.

Screenshot 2019-08-12 at 01.21.40.png

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #7,810 of 18,519
The most authentic sound is the 2013 mastering. All versions have exactly the same recording date and original release date as posted above and those dates do not in anyway imply that that was the master used. The original studio master, mixed down from the original master tapes, most likely does not exist anymore and you wouldn’t want it as it would be worn out and as three of the tracks were taken from a faulty recorder and are a 1/3 of a note sharp. This was fixed in 1997, but a complete resurrection and hand tweaked mastering was created from the best known original master tapes in 2013.

Musickid, you may be lucky in that the one above is actually from the 2013 mastering, as the modern Columbia releases all default to that. But seeking a version only from that original faulty master will only be worse. This has nothing to do with Dolby, as Dolby would have only been used for dupes or ‘remasters’ where additional reverb was added and even digitally denoised, prior to the 1997 release. If you internet search you might even find articles about the forensic 2013 mastering effort by Mark Wilder This wasn’t a dodgy remaster (usually done by duping and affecting the same old studio master), but a complete recreation of the studio master.

Note that a mono version was created, a stereo version was created and were transferred to new analog tapes AND directly to a 24bit 192KHZ master. So the best digital version will be that 24/192 version. Any 16bit or 96khz versions will be downsamples of that.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #7,812 of 18,519
The most authentic sound is the 2013 mastering. All versions have exactly the same recording date and original release date as posted above and those dates do not in anyway imply that that was the master used. The original studio master, mixed down from the original master tapes, most likely does not exist anymore and you wouldn’t want it as it would be worn out and as three of the tracks were taken from a faulty recorder and are a 1/3 of a note sharp. This was fixed in 1997, but a complete resurrection and hand tweaked mastering was created from the best known original master tapes in 2013.

Musickid, you may be lucky in that the one above is actually from the 2013 mastering, as the modern Columbia releases all default to that. But seeking a version only from that original faulty master will only be worse. This has nothing to do with Dolby, as Dolby would have only been used for dupes or ‘remasters’ where additional reverb was added and even digitally denoised, prior to the 1997 release. If you internet search you might even find articles about the forensic 2013 mastering effort by Mark Wilder This wasn’t a dodgy remaster (usually done by duping and affecting the same old studio master), but a complete recreation of the studio master.

Note that a mono version was created, a stereo version was created and were transferred to new analog tapes AND directly to a 24bit 192KHZ master. So the best digital version will be that 24/192 version. Any 16bit or 96khz versions will be downsamples of that.
Thank you

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #7,813 of 18,519

I read that article about the '13 restoration, which is the one I have, as a result. And I was also wondering about this pre-dolby fixation, as one can't use dolby later on, unless the tape was first recorded that way. Or was MK referring to the 5.1 dolby 2019 upmix.
Either way, @musickid, thanks for causing me to give a full listen last night. It was pleasureable; and I was only listening on my speaker system, and it made me feel good.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #7,814 of 18,519
I read that article about the '13 restoration, which is the one I have, as a result. And I was also wondering about this pre-dolby fixation, as one can't use dolby later on, unless the tape was first recorded that way. Or was MK referring to the 5.1 dolby 2019 upmix.
Either way, @musickid, thanks for causing me to give a full listen last night. It was pleasureable; and I was only listening on my speaker system, and it made me feel good.
Yes likewise I did it, but though sketches of Spain, 1959 edition, was more enjoyable, a bit more of a trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back