Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 12, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #7,816 of 18,518
Deleted: Brainf**t. Mixed up
SOS with 'In a Silent way.
It also reminds me of the film Patton, I love the military bugling (sort of) and drumming..... makes me think of windy desert plains after a battle...

Aug 14, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #7,819 of 18,518
Hi All,

To try to make the decision of purchasing the Chord Hugo M Scaler easier, we have started a loaner/rental program at TTVJAudio so you can audition the unit in your system and see if it is for you. The rental fee ($450) is less than the standard 15% return/restocking fee . And the cost of the loaner/rental will be credited toward your purchase should you decide you want one! You can check it out here

How it works... you order the loaner unit from our website and pay the fee to rent it. We send it out to you (the shipping to you is included in the fee) and you get to use it for 2 weeks from the day it is delivered to you. If you decide you want one, the fee is credited toward a new unit that will ship to you. when your 2 weeks are up, you return the unit to us and send us tracking.

We have the M Scaler loaner ready to go as well as in stock for sale!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #7,820 of 18,518

Thanks for finding that. It's the same review, word for word, as the Hifi+ review. However Hifi+ and The Absolute Sound seem to the be the same thing.

When I said I had read the HiFi+ review a while ago, folk asked what they said of the TT2. I couldn't breach copyright and said so, but said it was fair to say, HiFi+ loved the TT2. What they actually said, from this review was,
"Heard in isolation, the Hugo TT 2 sounds exactly like what it is: one of the finest headphone amp/DACs available today."

Nice to see this review available for others.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #7,821 of 18,518
CHord... We need the BOB by 2025... Watt's magnum opus.

See below

A/B'd the Chord TT VS CUbe today... not surprising TT wins. The "digital sheen" with the cube recedes... music thicker.

Then dropped in the Mscaler... another level.

Played some dream academy on the Cube... as I stated before I believe 90% of recording on earth suck... so DA was tinny... sounded old. 4Z + Mscaler + TT... sounded better tyhan a well produced Tidal Master...

Damn in can't wait for for 2025 when this tech MAY be portable. Mojo 3? Hugo 4?

Or lets just call it the BOB (Dave level dac, poly & mscaler in a unit the size of Mojo) - Cosmic

A/B'd the Z1R, LCD 4Z and Utopia on a Chord TT + MSCALER AND DAVE + MSCALER today for a few hours.
4Z destroys the Z1R...

4Z WAY better than Utopia... not sure how Focal can price them in same category as 4Z.

FYI MScaler is the real deal ... may get TT and MScaler with 4Z phenomenal...

Dave + Mscaler better than TT + Mscaler.

Did not get a chance to do serious A/B between those 2. Will try at a later date.

Will have TT + MSCALER for three day this weekend with my personal 4Z, IER Z1R and Z1R

If anyone wants me to test some music etc... let me know.

anybody shouting "end game" without listening to this setup is f'n nuts

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #7,822 of 18,518
CHord... We need the BOB by 2025... Watt's magnum opus.

See below

A/B'd the Chord TT VS CUbe today... not surprising TT wins. The "digital sheen" with the cube recedes... music thicker.

Then dropped in the Mscaler... another level.

Played some dream academy on the Cube... as I stated before I believe 90% of recording on earth suck... so DA was tinny... sounded old. 4Z + Mscaler + TT... sounded better tyhan a well produced Tidal Master...

Damn in can't wait for for 2025 when this tech MAY be portable. Mojo 3? Hugo 4?

Or lets just call it the BOB (Dave level dac, poly & mscaler in a unit the size of Mojo) - Cosmic

A/B'd the Z1R, LCD 4Z and Utopia on a Chord TT + MSCALER AND DAVE + MSCALER today for a few hours.
4Z destroys the Z1R...

4Z WAY better than Utopia... not sure how Focal can price them in same category as 4Z.

FYI MScaler is the real deal ... may get TT and MScaler with 4Z phenomenal...

Dave + Mscaler better than TT + Mscaler.

Did not get a chance to do serious A/B between those 2. Will try at a later date.

Will have TT + MSCALER for three day this weekend with my personal 4Z, IER Z1R and Z1R

If anyone wants me to test some music etc... let me know.

anybody shouting "end game" without listening to this setup is f'n nuts
Only one quibble with your post. "Damn it!" Could you write in complete sentences, instead of dot dot dot dot dot dot? That's what it sounds like when one has to listen to what you and many people have written. It runs on like a frickin' James Joyce story. Otherwise, I'm particularly glad to hear your choice pick of headphones being the LCD-4.
Just one question: Not familiar with the Cube. What might it be?

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #7,824 of 18,518
It is a newish AK device https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-kann-cube.905446/
Some people are enthusiastic about it, but it looks like a large brick with very sharp corners, so it will hurt if you drop it on your foot, or pet.
Thanks, Mike. Probably wouldn't go for it, anyway. A&K products seem to carry a high price for quality. At least with Chord equipment, I think one gets more than they pay for. That's why I still vainly hope for the 2go, as I think, as I understand it, it would make a somewhat large, but killer DAP for OTG.

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #7,826 of 18,518
I do hope you try the combo, let us all know how you get on

Hi Clive101,

Just to let u know i have now purchased the EX to give me the CX+EX solution.

This has taken my musical experience to yet another level that i did not think was possible,a wow moment.Not cheap but dam good :)

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #7,827 of 18,518
antipodes? sorry read your sig. welcome to the club. It really is isn't it.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #7,828 of 18,518
antipodes? sorry read your sig. welcome to the club. It really is isn't it.
I do find myself listening for more hours than i ever have as they say lost in the music. Mark Jenkins knows how to tweak a mobo.

Aug 15, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #7,829 of 18,518
I do find myself listening for more hours than i ever have as they say lost in the music. Mark Jenkins knows how to tweak a mobo.
Be good to get more insights while it’s fresh in your mind, how it compares. I removed several dot dot dots.

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #7,830 of 18,518
I’m running some AudioEngine A5+ (non built in dac version) through my TT2/M-Scaler. The A5+’s never sounded so good. But, obviously, I could get some better actives.

I’m highly considering purchasing these:

https://www.whathifi.com/us/acoustic-energy/ae1-active/review

Anybody ever heard these? They’re tough to ship to the US, but they do have a power selector that works with US outlets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back