Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 15, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #3,091 of 18,587
Well the Mscaler isn’t for poor audiophiles
Same as Mercedes.... it isn’t for those who can only afford a scooter

At the end of the day the Mscaler is meant to perfectly reproduce a recording

This also depends on having a decent amplifier and of course good enough speakers.

Please don’t expect miracles if the rest of the kit is at Scooter prices and low quality

Cables matter also. And hi end cables cost money

It would be best for some to think about their budgets .... quality costs money

The issue isn’t the quality but your affordability Christer.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #3,092 of 18,587
Yes, it’s what I use.

Just to add, you will also need female bnc to male rca adapters also, 2 of them.

You can buy them on amazon for cheap, but remember, it has to be Female BNC to Male RCA adapters.

1.Does it matter if Female BNC to Male RCA adapters are gold plated?

2. For HMS input, can I just go from the optical out from my QP1R DAP to optical input via Toslink cable?

3. Will this give a million taps with HUGO2?

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #3,093 of 18,587

2. For HMS input, can I just go from the optical out from my QP1R DAP to optical input via Toslink cable?

1. Not really (IMO).

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #3,094 of 18,587

A good connection is important, as there seems to be some sensitivity (drop-outs) due to poor BNC connections. Gold plated connectors may help in that regard.

Nov 15, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #3,096 of 18,587
A good connection is important, as there seems to be some sensitivity (drop-outs) due to poor BNC connections. Gold plated connectors may help in that regard.

I suggest not being sidetracked by the gold plating. More important is a good quality robust BNC connector. Unless you know what you are looking for it is difficult to know what is poor but the cheaper ones are flimsy (and many have gold plating just to fool you!).

As an example I just photographed some of the one I use to show you that some of the best do not use gold plating.
You can trust Canare, Belden etc and other well known names - (Canare are second and third down in my photo).

They do not have to be expensive, the ones at the top of the photo are by a firm confusingly called 'Coax-connectors' and they are good value.

IMG_0070.jpg

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #3,097 of 18,587
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #3,098 of 18,587
You can logically understand how the superior analog op stage of the DAVE is better for transparency but you can’t logically understand how on the digital side, all the missing bits of data recovered computationally from the the original analog waveform can technically sound better?

Isn’t it a little like saying Hugo2 + original mastertape can’t technically beat DAVE + 128kbps? I don’t doubt what you’re hearing, but I’m not quite sure having golden ears is a prerequisite.

I absolutely do understand that the digital side of the H2+HMS is technically better than the digital side of the solo Dave, but the resulting sound is a product of the whole DAC, not just one of it's parts. Improving the digital part of the H2, does not improve it's analog OP stage, which is quite a bit less advanced than that found in the Dave, if I understand Rob Watts correctly. So if H2+HMS can really beat solo Dave, the digital side of H2 must more than make up for it's inferior analog OP stage. Can it really do that?

I love my H2, it follows me on all my business travels providing great musical joy.

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #3,099 of 18,587
I absolutely do understand that the digital side of the H2+HMS is technically better than the digital side of the solo Dave, but the resulting sound is a product of the whole DAC, not just one of it's parts. Improving the digital part of the H2, does not improve it's analog OP stage, which is quite a bit less advanced than that found in the Dave, if I understand Rob Watts correctly. So if H2+HMS can really beat solo Dave, the digital side of H2 must more than make up for it's inferior analog OP stage. Can it really do that?
I love my H2, it follows me on all my business travels providing great musical joy.

I suspect that one needs to be careful about that word 'beat'. I have not heard TT2 but I do have Dave and HMS and Blu2 and I can imagine that for some people the better transparency of Dave might be more important that a combined HMS and TT2. This is not quite the same as merely testing which car is the faster one and saying that the fastest one wins.

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #3,101 of 18,587

I use my mscaler with my Hugo 2. I haven't had any drop outs in over a month of daily use. I used the supplied BNC cables for a couple of weeks and now use Wave BNC cables together with an Audioquest Dual RCA converter. I couldn't be happier - even telling my dealer that this setup is probably end game for me. It really makes me appreciate simple direct recordings of musical performances (especially 50s / 60s Jazz) which can sound life-like.

Ade

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3,102 of 18,587
I use my mscaler with my Hugo 2. I haven't had any drop outs in over a month of daily use. I used the supplied BNC cables for a couple of weeks and now use Wave BNC cables. I couldn't be happier - even telling my dealer that this setup is probably end game for me.

Ade
I agree, end-game setup for me too I think! I got new cables and no drop-outs yet - so far so good. It must have been a problem with the first set.

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #3,103 of 18,587
I have tried to avoid posting but spent a lot of time with TT2 and Mscaler at the Windsor show along with Dave with the LD4Z and Utopia along with some other Dacs and amplifiers. I have DaveMscaler and hoped to purchase a second rig for headphone use, I have LCD4.
My preferred option before going was TT2-Mscaler but after the DaveMscaler I could not go forwards with TT2 Mscaler, I was disappointed as I have been spoilt. I do not wish to knock the TT2Msclaer.
If you have the TT2 do not try the Dave your wallet will take the dent.
I recommend Utopia with TT2mscaler and LCD4 or z with DaveMcaler IMO.
The other DAC combos were a close second. IMO.

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #3,104 of 18,587
I use my mscaler with my Hugo 2. I haven't had any drop outs in over a month of daily use. I used the supplied BNC cables for a couple of weeks and now use Wave BNC cables together with an Audioquest Dual RCA converter. I couldn't be happier - even telling my dealer that this setup is probably end game for me. It really makes me appreciate simple direct recordings of musical performances (especially 50s / 60s Jazz) which can sound life-like.

Ade
I’m trying to find these ‘records’ plz leave a breadcrumb !

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3,105 of 18,587

Users who are viewing this thread

Back