Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 16, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #3,121 of 18,534
I find myself in a position where i shall soon be able to add a tt2 to my hms or go solo dave what is everyone's advice? There has been healthy feedback on the pm1 + dave synergy from other headfiers. Auditioning is extremely difficult due to the proximity of dealers.
I didn't buy the TT2 for a second setup, which was my original plan, so I never listened to it. But my very biased opinion would be to go for the Dave and save up for an M Scaler. But again, it depends on what kind of audiophile you are. If you are addicted to the best, then there is no doubt in my mind. Often it will save money to take the plunge for the best model in the first place, instead of making several upgrades, and eventually end up with that top model anyway finding out that the road to get there was just longer and more expensive. However, it's a problem if you cannot compare solo Dave to the TT2+HMS, since you are so fond of the HMS with your H2. You may find that TT2+HMS is better to your ears.
I know the problem with the proximity of dealers. I had to buy the Dave to be able to listen to it, and that was without the possibility to return the unit.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #3,122 of 18,534
HMS + H2 would be perfect for travelers. Rob is using this combo:L3000:

Buying the final product without upgrade saves a lot money, agree and my path.

If selling the TT2 later and then buy a DAVE afterwares is an option, the HMS + TT2 is not a bad choice.

How about buying the HMS first, and then take the HMS + H2 together when auditioning the DAVE to get a better picture?

My 2 cents.

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #3,123 of 18,534
2MScaler ummm i wonder....:thinking:

I find myself in a position where i shall soon be able to add a tt2 to my hms or go solo dave what is everyone's advice? There has been healthy feedback on the pm1 + dave synergy from other headfiers. Auditioning is extremely difficult due to the proximity of dealers.

After hearing what the HMS has done to my DAVE, I would not part from what the M Scaler can provide to a Chord DAC…

In your position I would hold on with H2 + HMS, save a bit longer and keep your HMS until you can get a DAVE to pair with it, unless you are planning to buy very hard to drive headphones.

Nov 16, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #3,124 of 18,534
2MScaler ummm i wonder....:thinking:

I have said before, why not save just a little longer and then get a second hand Dave.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #3,127 of 18,534
HMS is my final chick, the One and Only... for a long time... I swear to Dave

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #3,128 of 18,534
Rob Watts and John Franks at Tokyo International Forum. International Audio Show. Nov 16th. Friday.
I want to watch Rob's presentation in Tokyo.

DSC01105.jpg

DSC01099.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01105.jpg
    DSC01105.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 16, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #3,129 of 18,534
Rob Watts and John Franks at Tokyo International Forum. International Audio Show. Nov 16th. Friday.
I want to watch Rob's presentation in Tokyo.

I have been thinking of getting the stand for the DAVE and stacking the M-Scaler underneath but wondering what it looks like. I see this setup in the second photo. I’m in!

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #3,130 of 18,534
I have been thinking of getting the stand for the DAVE and stacking the M-Scaler underneath but wondering what it looks like. I see this setup in the second photo. I’m in!
I was wondering about this too but now that I’ve seen the photo, it looks terrible and it’s not economical. Chord should just release a standalone M Scaler in the Choral design. Don’t think they can ignore the demand for it and sit this one out. And if they won’t offer it, the least they could do is drop the price of the Blu Mk II since the M Scaler lacks features in the Hugo M Scaler.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #3,132 of 18,534
Or perhaps release the Dave in the Mscaler design....
I think the next major product will be a DX amp in the TT2 form factor. 10w+ power category plus DX digital input with volume control sent from Mscaler. So the MScaler+DX Amp combo is effectively a DAC and will service the loudspeaker market.

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #3,133 of 18,534
Now been listening TT2/HMS for 24 hours with original HD800s. I would say this rig improves on my previous H2 , Stax 009, Carbon set up. That was of course super resolving, but going straight out of the TT2 without an amp. in the chain seems to make a huge difference. I love the musicality when using the HMS, plus huge soundstage and individual instruments easily followed and in some cases heard for the first time.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #3,134 of 18,534
I have the same issue with the Chord ASIO driver and Qobuz. Half or quarter speed when playing higher sample rates and the pitch goes down correspondingly. WASAPI exclusive is fine. J River is fine with ASIO and WASAPI exclusive. The ASIO driver doesn’t show up in Windows Device manager. Reinstalling drivers made no difference.

Now I know this isn’t me, I will raise it with Chord and Qobuz - it would help if other people with the same problem would do the same. They will doubtless blame each other.

i’ve read somewhere that Windows now has USB2.0 drivers - I wonder whether they could be used? Would they have any advantages?

Was messing about earlier and Chords Asio driver for the MScaler has problems with Qobuz, it makes songs play at lower than half speed and the audio is distorted, as we already know.

Anyway I was messing about and it seems that the asio driver is ok with Streaming Quality settings of “CD16 bit - 44.1khz” and “Mp3 320kbps”, in Qobuz’s settings.

Slomo playback only seems to affect the Hi Res streaming options “Hi-Res 24 bit / upto 96khz” and “Hi-Res 24 bit / upto 192khz”.

Why it only affects those two streaming options I don’t know, but I have tried increasing the buffer and it does jack to fix the problem.

Now this problem leaves me wondering, is this a Chord MScaler driver problem, or is it a Qobuz problem ?

Chords Asio driver works fine in Roon, so this looks like a Qobuz problem, but I don’t know. Uninstalling and removing and then reinstalling the chord driver does not help to fix the slomo playback of hires tracks in qobuz.

Maybe @Matt Bartlett from Chord can help ? Why does Chords Asio driver 1.05 cause HiRes only tracks on Qobuz to sound slow and distorted ?

It’s forcing us to use wasapi, but I prefer asio.

Anyone got any idea’s ?

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #3,135 of 18,534
My hunch is that it is a Qobuz issue, perhaps they are not setting some status bits or whatever, because JRiver plays with the Chord ASIO driver fine. I haven’t got round to contacting Qobuz, will do so today. This is the sort of problem that would probably take 5 minutes to fix if you can get the right two guys to talk to each other, but will probably take forever since we have to go through the usual customer “support” type channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back