Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 16, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #3,151 of 18,518
If you set the volume to 100% why would there be any need for digital signal processing?

There is no need or want for any DSP on my part. I feel I dont understand what bit perfect really means. I would expect a bit perfect stream to have a specific information about gain , volume etc. Unless of course volume adjustment can happen in the digital domain. Can it?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #3,153 of 18,518
I am an ancient audiophile, started this journey in the sixties. Some so called sota improvements turned out to be hyperbole, HMS is not, you owe it to yourself to audition it. Enough said.
its a great upgrade, because even if you buy other headphones and cables and speakers, you'll still got music upscaled to its full potential for those other upgrades to leverage.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #3,154 of 18,518
can i ask any hugo 2 mscalers, what colour they listen on, i'm finding the deep blue colour is cool, but also a bit loud, it definitely likes to be jacked up a good bit.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #3,155 of 18,518
I don’t understand how that works but I hope you are right
I m so glad the day is over and I can now go back home, switch on my amps and enjoy :)

Glider Joe can help explain how it works if you ask him, as he mentioned it way back when I was wondering why glider was able to turn the volume up and down and 8 player couldnt as the volume adjustments was fixed to the device/dac.

Both apps support bit perfect, one does it by only allowing volume adjustments to be made on the device/dac, Glider does it by having the volume set at max.

Enjoy your amps and the weekend :)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #3,156 of 18,518
Hi Zappa remember adding the mscaler to hugo2/dave etc causes a slight drop in volume by one colour "notch" so you would compensate for this by having the volume ball one colour louder than usual. I also listen between deep blue to around 2-3 colours up from this. That is quite high but you also need to factor in the dynamic range of recordings which causes fluctuations in achieving the ideal volume setting dependent on track/album. Understanding the limitations of hugo2 is also important and i am sure the tt2 will present the music more effortlessly with more dynamic punch without even trying. However hugo2 also drives a wide range of headphones effortlessly but how this compares to tt2 is new ground for me and gaining a better understanding will more than likely affect my decision whether to go for tt2 or not. Not easy.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #3,157 of 18,518
can i ask any hugo 2 mscalers, what colour they listen on, i'm finding the deep blue colour is cool, but also a bit loud, it definitely likes to be jacked up a good bit.

With what headphones are you on blue?

With Hugo2 and Utopia I’m in the red range, same with ETHER Flow and LCDi4. No M scaler though.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #3,158 of 18,518
PM1 at deep blue. It's good for me and not too loud for me most of the time.:thermometer_face:

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #3,159 of 18,518
PM1 at deep blue. It's good for me and not too loud for me most of the time.:thermometer_face:

Wow!

The PM-1 is 2dB more sensitive than the LCDi4 and just 32 Ohm (vs the 30 Ohm LCDi4)... I couldn’t even imagine listening at deep blue! :astonished:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #3,160 of 18,518
Looking at ether2?? umm would cancel a tt2 swap for h2. Relic any thoughts?

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #3,161 of 18,518
TT 2 is kind of big though (tiny for what it is, but not a portable device). It must occupy a lot of that suitcase!
Last season I lugged around my Benchmark DAC2 as headphone amp on my travels in Asia for more than six months.

And since I also carry professional camera equipment that has to go through hand-luggage check in and security I once took the risk of putting my DAC2 and my HD800 in my suitcase on a flight from KK Malaysia to Singapore.

On arrival in Singapore my suitcase was missing.
Two days of worry, plus having to buy some clothes and stuff, and two extra taxi-trips to the airport to retrieve my suitcase which had been sent to Chengdung China for two days before I got it back again has once and for all, firmly taught me the lesson never to put anything really valuable in a suitcase ever again.

I was very lucky to get it back.
I would not recommend anyone even Rob to take such risks.
Apart from working on my own as a photographer I also work in the Tourism/Travel/Trade and luggage getting lost is unfortunately not an exception.
Insider tips watch the hilarious BBC series Come Fly with Me. It shows you a thing or two of what sometimes goes on behind closed doors at airports besides being very funny imho.
So unless the TT2 and M-scaler would basically be all you have in your handluggage I would not consider them as portable HIFI.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #3,162 of 18,518
Looking at ether2?? umm would cancel a tt2 swap for h2. Relic any thoughts?

I haven’t heard the ETHER 2, but it looks like it’s right up my alley from what I’ve read. I love the ETHER Flow but they may be a little smooth for some people. The ETHER 2 is reported to be cleaner but with linear bass that goes really low. Haven’t heard the TT2 either and I’m not clear how different it sounds from the Hugo2. I’ve read all the impressions so far regarding the TT2, but I’m waiting to read more impressions with a larger variety of headphones to get a clearer picture.

You have the M scaler already so I’m sure you’re in musical bliss. I always try to match the transducer to the capability of the source and vice versa. If it were ME, I’d look at the ETHER 2 and then down the line consider the TT2, but I listen at low to moderate levels in a quiet environment.

You listen to the PM-1 on deep blue with the Hugo2 and the ETHER 2 is less sensitive and will require some good Current (as opposed to Voltage) with 13 Ohm impedance, which the Hugo2 will handle easily but it’s absolutely guaranteed with the TT2. Compare the more important spec which is sensitivity - ETHER 2=92dB SPL/mW vs PM-1=102dB SPL/mW... so to get to the same loudness you need 10x the power to make up the 10dB difference in sensitivity with the ETHER 2. At deep blue on the Hugo with the PM-1 (frankly, that’s got to be LOUD) you may run out of volume adjustment with the ETHER 2 at those volume levels.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #3,163 of 18,518
Generally speaking the hugo2 will drive the ether2 with ease to decent levels of loudness?

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #3,164 of 18,518
Generally speaking the hugo2 will drive the ether2 with ease to decent levels of loudness?

Generally yes, but you mentioned the PM-1 is at deep blue for you. Read my above post again. You’ll need 10x more power for the ETHER 2 to reproduce the same dB level. I suggest not listening that loud overall, but to each their own.

Edit: You can PM me or move the discussion to the Hugo2 thread.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #3,165 of 18,518
Many thanks Relic i will reflect on what you've said here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back